Best container to store tools underground ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end and a threaded cap on the other.

Pipe filled with packets of moisture absorbing desiccants.

What you guys say ?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Earlier he wanted to know how to wash tomatoes. What's next?

Who knows. Could be the new Amero currency.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Earlier he wanted to know how to wash tomatoes. What's next?

Ordinarily, this would be a perfect place for a "they're-coming-for-your-tomatoes" joke, except that with Obama (and now with Trudeau in Canada), it's actually happening.

I read up on this several years ago.
There was a guy who disassembled his mini 14, greased it, vacuum packed each piece with a small pack of dehumidifier, put it all in a PVC tube, and buried it in a field near a stump for about a decade. He did the same to several mags and ammo.
After a decade or so he had difficulty finding it as the stump was mostly gone.
The biggest thing he recommended was to not grease everything. It wasn't needed with all the other layers of protection.

If you clean your tools, and vacuum pack them with a cheap desiccant, they should be good for a very long time. Anything else they are in, any additional protection, is icing on the cake.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm thinking ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end and a threaded cap on the other.

Pipe filled with packets of moisture absorbing desiccants.

What you guys say ?

I like the plastic pipe idea but I would go one step further and put a threaded Schrader valve on one end and use an vacuum pump on it.

No threaded cap. 2 caps solvent welded both ends. When needed you'll just cut one end off. Pocket knife saw blade will cut it just fine.

Maybe inside a vacuum sealed bag inside a metal gasket sealed ammo can inside a thick plastic bag.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
No threaded cap. 2 caps solvent welded both ends. When needed you'll just cut one end off. Pocket knife saw blade will cut it just fine.

It's kinda tough to push the second solvent weld on as you will be pressurizing the tube as you push the cap on. Been there already.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

What you guys say ?

I would just say that you need to move out of Kalifornia to another area where the government isn't always trying to take away your "tools"....

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
Originally Posted By: umungus1122

It's kinda tough to push the second solvent weld on as you will be pressurizing the tube as you push the cap on. Been there already.

Drill a small hole to let air out, then seal the hole appropriately.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back