Castrol Edge 5w30 no longer A5/B5

Status
Not open for further replies.
applies to both black and gold. Recent new stock of them shows A1/B1 only. The 5w20 Edge is still A1/B1 as before (no US-market M1 0w20 or 5w20 carries ACEA ratings anymore, and 0/5/10w30 M1 has been A1/B1-only since last year, except 10w30 HM which is A3/B3)

This leaves PP and PUP 5w30 as the only A5/B5 oil still available in the US market. I checked the bottles of PP to make sure they were current, and January 2016 production PP is still A5/B5.

I just checked the jugs I put on my expedition and they listed a5/b5. Castrol edge gold 5w30.

But I did buy then about 6 months ago when they were on rollback.

This is interesting. I have an PDS dated 02 Oct 2013 that clearly shows the 5W-30 and the ACEA A5/B5 rating. The current PDS clearly shows the ACEA A1/B1 rating but no longer ACEA A5/B5. I have a bottle in my garage that clearly has the ACEA A5/B5 rating.

I've e-mailed BP and posed this question to them; I'll let you know what they say.

Ed

Originally Posted By: supercity
New 10w30 here is A5/B5

Edge 10W30

Wow !!! I have never seen that.
Where is it ? Which store ?

It's still not listed on the Castrol Australia web site.

A full synthetic 10W-30 in Australia....I wish the PDS gave it's NOACK , HTHS and TBN

The new Castrol oil may have been reformulated to lower SAPS and lost their A5/B5 rating. We need to find the latest VOA/UOA. I hope that the extended performance Castrol is still a capable oil. But I would prefer the Pennzoil Platinum over the Castrol black bottle.

I got a response from BP, and here's what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

A few months ago the specification for ACEA A5/B5 changed and Castrol EDGE 5W-30, Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 and Castrol EDGE Professional 5W-30 oils no longer meet the new ACEA A5/B5 specification.

The change to the specification that our oils do not meet is a bio-diesel oxidation test. However since the change to the specification that our oils do not meet is a bio-diesel oxidation test, Volvo still accepts the use of the above mentioned Castrol oils in their vehicles in North America.

Late 2016, there should be a formulation change in which the above mentioned Castrol products will once again be claiming ACEA A5/B5.

Volvo dealerships primarily sell Castrol Edge Professional 5W-30.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Ed

Thanks for that, Ed. I'm sure all the North Americans running bio-diesel in an engine calling for B5 will be shattered right now.
wink.gif
At least we know it's a very specific issue. Perhaps that's what the deal is with M1, too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks for that, Ed. I'm sure all the North Americans running bio-diesel in an engine calling for B5 will be shattered right now.
wink.gif
At least we know it's a very specific issue. Perhaps that's what the deal is with M1, too.

You know what I wonder?...the other oils like Valvoline SynPower, PP, PUP, etc., that state that they meet the ACEA A5/B5 specification do, in fact, meet the NEW ACEA A5/B5 specification since Castrol told me "A few months ago the specification for ACEA A5/B5 changed..."

I wonder if they've actually, recently tested their oils against the new standard???

smile.gif

Ed

Well, that's an interesting point. I haven't seen anything on the Lubrizol site (or any other site with the standards) showing anything about the new sequences. If I recall correctly, there should have been new 2014 standards, but that didn't happen, and they were pushed back until sometime; I'd guess 2016. I know Castrol is pretty rigorous about published standards (pity they aren't about their data sheet values, but that's another matter). Other oil companies might interpret the 2012 standards as being current, which may be perfectly valid, and stick with it.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
applies to both black and gold. Recent new stock of them shows A1/B1 only. The 5w20 Edge is still A1/B1 as before (no US-market M1 0w20 or 5w20 carries ACEA ratings anymore, and 0/5/10w30 M1 has been A1/B1-only since last year, except 10w30 HM which is A3/B3)

This leaves PP and PUP 5w30 as the only A5/B5 oil still available in the US market. I checked the bottles of PP to make sure they were current, and January 2016 production PP is still A5/B5.

The Penzoil Platinum looks like it's A5/B5 (http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploa...GF-5-en-TDS.pdf), but the PUP doesn't look like it to me (http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-5W-30-SN-GF-5-en-TDS.pdf). Also, it doesn't look like the Valvoline SynPower is either (http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf).

I wonder if PP is certified against the NEW standard?

Ed

The last Ultra I saw was A5/B5. I will have to look when I get home; I have some sheets there. Of course, with the Shell site, you never know which sheet you need to look at until you look at the all. I see on the PUP sheet you have, it is listed there, but in a bit of a confusing way. Valvoline does some odd things with ACEA specs, so I'll have to see if I have some old sheets to compare to current ones, but I doubt that I have them.

For interest's sake, not the long ago, QSUD was listing a very dated ACEA spec. I believe they cleaned that off of their latest sheet.

They must be referring to ACEA 2012

Blenders are responsible to self certify their products against ACEA requirements. The ACEA do not issue licences like the API do.

Theoretically any products manufactured as of today carrying an ACEA spec needs to comply with ACEA 2012 as all others are withdrawn. I would not think every blender will comply

...and just to throw another wrench in this conversation with a specific application. Hyundai now 'recommends' A5 for the 2016 Santa Fe Turbo's. Hyundai also recommends Quaker State (Owner's Manual and under bonnet stickers).

Try an find a Quaker State product that meets A5 today.... you cannot.
21.gif

BTW: they also say they will not back-spec previous years.

Originally Posted By: supercity
They must be referring to ACEA 2012

What confuses me is that's been around for a while, so I'm not sure why there would be an issue now, unless formulators get a heads up about something new. Someone in the industry here would have to answer that for us.

Castrol is pretty good with listing what they meet and not listing what they don't. Of course, you're quite right that plenty of others don't comply. Heck, Mobil has labeling mistakes, and we all know that some smaller companies play a bit fast with the rules. RP claims some very dated ACEA specs, contrary to the rules. At least they do point out the year clearly on the label.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Castrol is pretty good with listing what they meet and not listing what they don't.

I agree, Castrol has always made a point of keeping their labels complete and up to date. You can trust what is on a Castrol bottle more than most.

Some groups try and pull a swifty, and list specs like A3/B4/C3 (Valvoline Australia, I'm looking at you) which doesn't make sense when using the up to date ACEA specs, which is what you should use.

Still, I wish Castrol would give us good data sheets. You know the TBN, HTHS, NOACK, ppm Zinc, etc of every oil you make, so why can't you tell us ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back