Thoughts on these SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to beat a Honda Pilot in term of usable interior space, reliability, good AWD capability, and very nice looking vehicle. That is among the top SUV I am saving my coins for to pay cash. I use vanpool that is 100% subsidized by my company; thererfore, my commute is now 1 mile a day on my personal vehicle. The money saved is going toward cash paying for a new vehicle when my 2002 Accord, which has 200k miles stop running. I hope that would be 5 to 10 years from now. MY other choices are 4Runner, Tacoma, Ridgeline, or Outback.

Last edited:
I picked up a 2009 Honda Pilot 2 years ago that needed engine work (timing Belt broke) for $2000,00 the body and interior was perfect although the previous owner did not keep up on maintenance at all. We did the engine and i sold it for 3x what i paid for it to a transmission guy that used to work for my brother, i figure when the trans quits it won't cost him much. It was a nice vehicle. I know the new owner and the only problem he has with it is the a/c compressor and a starter..

You won't get 30 mpg with a Traverse. You'll need something like an Equinox 4 cylinder to do that. We get 28 highway mpg loaded down w/o trying in our 2012 Equinox 2LT 4 cyl.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
As for Toyota their quality is slipping rapidly for years there have been sludge issues and now vvt problems and oil burning you can believe what you want but i have lived engines all my life since the age of 13 at the family engine shop till the day i sold it. Im 50 now and i saw it all engine wise.

How many Toyota VVT problems have you seen first hand? which engines?What were the problems?

Sounds like generalizing a brand by a few issues. Had Subaru/Toyota and experienced very few issues compared to every person i knew who drove honda, gm, chrysler...but i guess since he has "seen it all" I should get a superior hyundai...to which ive driven and worked on...(owned) and no comparison in quality to Toyota. You need to also realize that there are many more Toyotas on the road than hyundai's. I would also like to hear the engines with vvt issues?

I keep hearing about all these internet problems with GM, but GM has gicen me excellent service for the past 35 years.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I keep hearing about all these internet problems with GM, but GM has gicen me excellent service for the past 35 years.

Same here. We've had at least a dozen GMs in the family and I've managed a bunch more in fleets at work and they've always given excellent service.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have been in the engine business all my life up until i sold the shop a few months back and i saw ....

I respect your profession however your view is rather is not exactly representative of quality. You only see engines with problems. Given what you say can you really state the overall reliability of a make or even how many hundreds of thousands more of same vehicle went trouble free.....? It's acceptable for any car maker to have a small percentage of problems while the vast majority none.

I only go by my parents who have owned 3 cars in my 44 years life. All (81 amc eagle, gmc suburban, 99 Subaru Forester) not known for wonderful realibilty yet they run them 13-16 years and have little fuss.

I think their "secret" is being diligent about oil changes anywhere from 4K-6k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back