Oil Life Monitor vs. Mileage vs. Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wonder how much more advanced oil life algo's than when this paper was written 6 yrs ago?

Some engines have actual dielectric sensors that attempt to determine the condition of oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wonder how much more advanced oil life algo's than when this paper was written 6 yrs ago?

Some engines have actual dielectric sensors that attempt to determine the condition of oil.

Yes indeed. The author in 2009 made note that fairly accurate sensors for the oil's conductance and impedance were out there, as well as the means to perfectly monitor all the other factors in oil's life cycle. But he also mentioned the impact of other contaminants that could throw off the readings. In the end, OCI's still appear to be just a reasonable estimate based on good engineering practices. And as the oils have gotten even better, there's less chance of them screwing up. In fact, someone around here mentioned eventually having cars with sealed oil systems where only "trained" service centers could change the oil in a recommended OCI. Can't wait for that day to come....lol.

Just an update, with only ~2000KM on my current oil, the OLM shows 33%. I'm guessing by the time the OLM hits zero, it may equate to approx. 3500KM... I've never had to change my oil that quickly, but as stated in above posts, short tripping MUST wear oil down much much much quicker.

At this rate, I'll be able to keep my M1 filter (or my FU that I have ready to go) on for about 5 OCI's!

Oil (synthetic and conventional) is always on sale in Canada. Even though synthetic
sells for an average of $52 for 5 liters , you can buy brand name synthetic oil for $31 avg. Castrol Edge will go on sale for $27 a few times a year at Canadian Tire.
You have to be nuts to buy oil at the regular price when somewhere has it on sale.

Originally Posted By: HOG
Just an update, with only ~2000KM on my current oil, the OLM shows 33%. I'm guessing by the time the OLM hits zero, it may equate to approx. 3500KM... I've never had to change my oil that quickly, but as stated in above posts, short tripping MUST wear oil down much much much quicker.

At this rate, I'll be able to keep my M1 filter (or my FU that I have ready to go) on for about 5 OCI's!

OMG! CALL 911! I just went into cardiac arrest!
r280gj.gif

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Ok Ok... 5 OCI's on 1 filter is pushing it, even in my books. But I see no harm in leaving the filter on for 2 oil changes at a time. I still won't come close to the "up to" mileage rating on the filter, so I see no reason to pull it off early. Another factor in that is that on this particular type of vehicle, the filter is in a very stubborn location on the engine. Even when the vehicle was on a hoist, my guy couldn't quite figure out how to remove the filter from underneath, he ended up removing from above, which caused all the oil that was in the filter to spill out on his shop garage floor (better his than mine!). So that's another reason why I would like to leave it on as long as I can.

I'm also just wondering, since my OLM is equating to a very low accumulated kilometers between OCI's, am I benefiting at all by using a full synthetic? Price does play a small factor here, I have no problems paying more for good quality synthetic (I'll include a pic of my stash later), but if I'm not really benefiting from it, maybe I should switch back? Or does synthetic out-weigh (no pun intended) conventional in every way??, even if its being run for very short OCI's.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: HOG
Ok Ok... 5 OCI's on 1 filter is pushing it, even in my books. But I see no harm in leaving the filter on for 2 oil changes at a time. I still won't come close to the "up to" mileage rating on the filter, so I see no reason to pull it off early. Another factor in that is that on this particular type of vehicle, the filter is in a very stubborn location on the engine. Even when the vehicle was on a hoist, my guy couldn't quite figure out how to remove the filter from underneath, he ended up removing from above, which caused all the oil that was in the filter to spill out on his shop garage floor (better his than mine!). So that's another reason why I would like to leave it on as long as I can.

I'm also just wondering, since my OLM is equating to a very low accumulated kilometers between OCI's, am I benefiting at all by using a full synthetic? Price does play a small factor here, I have no problems paying more for good quality synthetic (I'll include a pic of my stash later), but if I'm not really benefiting from it, maybe I should switch back? Or does synthetic out-weigh (no pun intended) conventional in every way??, even if its being run for very short OCI's.

Thanks

oil changes on your type of car are a pain in the butt. they are so messy when take the filter off. i would use the fram ultra for at least 2 oil changes. the 3.6 is hard on oil and i would keep using a full synthetic oil.

the 2.5L in my malibu is direct injected like your 3.6 and gm only requires a syn blend in our cars. i run full synthetic because DI engine's are hard on oil and for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back