Input from Diesel truck owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablum. Having DRIVEN gas-power MDTs, that mileage is just wrong. The WORST I recall was about 6, and that was towing a 6-ton shuttle bus with a 429-powered F700 wrecker.

A local towing company reports IDENTICAL mileage numbers from a V10 F450 and a Ram 4500 with a Cummins 6.7 diesel. Of course...the F450 was about $7000 less, and that buys LOTS of gas!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The whole maintenance issue is a bit of an exaggeration of the truth. One of my commercial neighbors has 18 Duramaxes. He only has 4 model years represented. He bought a bunch of 04/05s that he still runs, and a bunch of 13/14 that he has purchased. How much mileage do his trucks get? The 13/14 are at 100k already.

Maintenence? Some of the 04/05s needed FICMS at about 150k miles. Some needed their injector clips ice-picked.

The 13/14s? Some of them have needed brake pads. One needed a rotor at 91k.

The gas comparison? He once rented a gas Silverado for a week waiting for his latest Duramaxes to be delivered. That truck used almost twice the fuel of his diesels, and the driver of that truck said it "sucked the fat one" to haul the trailer with that thing.

I don't understand the dissing of equipment options either. He orders crew cabs because he has 4 man teams. He orders black leather because it's the only interior that won't look like garbage from his dirty crews and the food they eat on the run. He naturally gets the navigation option because his drivers need to know where the heck they are and going.

The romantic image of the stripped down single cab truck is a bunch of sentimental tripe from the 90's. Business has advanced in terms of technology and comfort as much as anything in this world.

Now, once we get to the world of of car haulers, gasoline simply does not exist. Never seen one, never heard of one.

A 450/4500 or 550/5500 is a solid single digit fuel economy vehicle with a gas engine unloaded. Hook up a loaded 4 or 5 car trailer to one of those things, and you're at 4mpg at cruise.

If all that is true, he should go buy a lottery ticket.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Pablum. Having DRIVEN gas-power MDTs, that mileage is just wrong. The WORST I recall was about 6, and that was towing a 6-ton shuttle bus with a 429-powered F700 wrecker.

Which is less of a load than a 5 car hauler.

Quote:
A local towing company reports IDENTICAL mileage numbers from a V10 F450 and a Ram 4500 with a Cummins 6.7 diesel. Of course...the F450 was about $7000 less, and that buys LOTS of gas!

The towing cycle is the only cycle where a gas truck is going to match a diesel, because of all of the extended idling. Put both trucks in constant motion and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

If all that is true, he should go buy a lottery ticket.

Which is more believable here?

1. That the typical Duramaxes ownership does not mirror Internet horror stories.

or

2. Tons of businesses and individuals continue to purchase in great quantities, a product that is riddled with problems?

Well, tons of business' are not buying diesel pickups. Probably 3 to 1 in favor of gas versions. One of the reasons that GM hasn't fiddled with the 6.0L gas in the 2500/3500 pickups is because it is reliable and they don't want to diss their commercial buyers, which probably makes up 75% of their HD pickup sales. I cover around 2500 miles a week across several states. I make mental notes on pickups that I pass or pass me and have taken down numbers from time to time. Gas to Diesel is solidly on a 3-1 ratio, and that applies to both commercial and private users. Even the Farmer's Coop near me has drifted off of diesel in favor of gas for their HD pickups. And those puppies have to yank tank trailers of anhydrous ammonia to and from farm fields, sometimes doubles. Along with Totes of seed in the bed. They get worked. But they don't want to mess with the emissions stuff. Could be because these pickups are not highway use most of the time. In and out of fields, slow moving pulling double tank trailers of Anhydrous, etc. The emissions stuff likes it better when engines run at highways speed operating RPM's for periods of time.

And go to a truck stop and have a chat with the drivers and take your little survey on what they think about the emissions diesels. Just be prepared for some interesting curse words.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, tons of business' are not buying diesel pickups. Probably 3 to 1 in favor of gas versions.

Given the hundreds of thousands of pickups sold in the US every year, that is is not only tons of pickups, that's a frigging horde of them.

Quote:
One of the reasons that GM hasn't fiddled with the 6.0L gas in the 2500/3500 pickups is because it is reliable and they don't want to diss their commercial buyers, which probably makes up 75% of their HD pickup sales. I cover around 2500 miles a week across several states. I make mental notes on pickups that I pass or pass me and have taken down numbers from time to time. Gas to Diesel is solidly on a 3-1 ratio, and that applies to both commercial and private users. Even the Farmer's Coop near me has drifted off of diesel in favor of gas for their HD pickups. And those puppies have to yank tank trailers of anhydrous ammonia to and from farm fields, sometimes doubles. Along with Totes of seed in the bed. They get worked. But they don't want to mess with the emissions stuff. Could be because these pickups are not highway use most of the time. In and out of fields, slow moving pulling double tank trailers of Anhydrous, etc. The emissions stuff likes it better when engines run at highways speed operating RPM's for periods of time.

And go to a truck stop and have a chat with the drivers and take your little survey on what they think about the emissions diesels. Just be prepared for some interesting curse words.

There's no doubt that the emissions garbage has been a pain in the rear. The effect on fuel economy is duly noted, as is the expense involved when those systems do need servicing. But that has hardly resulted in the complete disability of those trucks.

At the end of the day, the Duramax is still pumping out power the 6.0 will never dream of, and posting significantly better fuel consumption under heavy load.

You and I both know that reliability, fuel economy, and all else aside, most businesses are going to tick off the box for the cheaper engine no matter what. Enough so, that GM once had takers of the 4.3 V6 in a 3500 truck for a mere $500.00 discount.

Now bring it down to the half ton range. Are the people who lay out extra dough for the 6.2 over the 4.3 a bunch of idiots because they could buy so much fuel with the savings? Is it a ridiculous or fool hardy option since more than 75% of that market is going to be represented by other engine options? The 6.2 gets worse fuel economy and costs more money. What kind of joker is going to get that thing, right? Lots of businesses are doing fine with V6 power.

I understand that there's a lot of people trying to prove a point here, but the logic behind the point that's being pushed here is completely asinine.

The most important thing to consider here is duty cycle, what is the intended use. If I owned a fleet of wreckers I would go gas due to the fact of mostly in and around town usage with some highway. I am actually very good friends with a guy who puts wreckers together and most of his customers have switched to gas for the reasons mentioned, but for the guys doing long-hauls diesel still is superior.

For the guys hauling 5th wheels/driving motorhomes around the country diesel again is by far superior. I have friends who camp with very large campers/5th wheels and never go more than 150 mi. from home, for them diesel power is a waste because during non camping the trucks just get putted around.

For me, well I have about a dozen diesel powered pieces of equipment, including three diesel powered trucks and one F550 flat bed. When they get started we run 150 mi. to our destination. They are loaded each way and while I have never done the math as when I reach the break-even point in cost of ownership I am pretty sure that I do. I generally keep them for over 200,000 mi., the F550 is an '89 that was bought new, it doesn't get driven as often and has to idle to power hydraulics for hours on end.

Next week someone will start a thread telling me what a waste it is for me having two diesel powered work boats when I could do the job cheaper with gas! Each individual want/need will be different for everyone as these things need to be looked at before purchasing. For myself diesel is much more economical that gas, maybe the next guy just wants diesel to pull his camper more effortlessly, or maybe he just wants one because he can afford it. I have had nothing but excellent service out of all of the diesel trucks I have owned and would recommend one to anyone that asked.

The people buying diesels are the diesel tuners who want the power, or the guys who have money to burn and want a fast truck. The people who actually work them and depend on them for income have been buying newer gas trucks or older diesels.

I often buy small engine parts at the local small engine dealer. They work with a lot of the local landscapers and their equipment. While waiting for parts I was talking to a guy about his fleet. He said that they switched from Powerstroke Ford 7.3s to Chevy gas trucks. He said they tried a few of the newer diesels, but the trucks would be sitting there burning fuel in regen mode all the time. Most of these guys do short trips from neighborhood to neighborhood so the trucks need to regen more often to burn all the soot out of the DPF. When it came down to it he said the gas trucks just made more business sense and with the money he saved over buying a newer diesel version he could buy newer mowers.

There is a reason old 7.3 Powerstroke and Dodge Cummins trucks hold their value incredibly well.

Not everything is a cost calculation. Anybody who buys a vehicle more than they need is so called wasting money. If you buy anything above the base trim or option up for an engine (V8 vs V6, or 6.2 vs 5.3, etc) you didn't need to spend the extra money and diesel is no different.

I think if a business is running their trucks out to 300k miles the diesel will have a lower cost of ownership. There are many examples of people getting 100k's of miles out of their diesels without any emission problems. Sure they exist but I think they are rare compared to the internet amplification. The fuel system on a diesel would worry me more than the emission system. Ruin that with a little bit of moisture and you are looking at a $10k repair.

In the end it all boils down to fuel prices.

In my area Regular Unleaded was $1.89 this AM. Diesel was $2.29. Or about a 17% premium. So in order to make it worth while you'd need to get 17% greater fuel economy. And that's just breaking even.

Other areas may be different but in the end it all comes down to fuel & maintenance.

I think our next truck will be a Diesel. Why? Want a 5th wheel and while it's doable with a Max Tow Ecoboost F150 the selection widens with a 350. Yes a gas would do it but I love the flat power that turbos provide.

Last edited:
Agreed. And what many folks have lost sight of, is the diesel prices we had just a few years ago. People have such short memories. I sure haven't forgotten them. A lot of folks really got nicked in the spreadsheets when diesel was hitting nearly $5 a gallon. Many businesses have reevaluated the need for diesel power and are passing on it. And it does take some SERIOUS better fuel economy to make a diesel cost effective. Again, it does all depend on what one is doing. No doubt, if one is pulling serious loads on a frequent basis and doing so more than a few miles a week, then sure, diesel makes a little more sense and is justifiable. Realistically, the majority of diesel pickups are doing nothing more than most gassers are doing. Daily I see numerous diesel pickups that have no 5th wheel, no gooseneck, and don't even look like the they have towed anything enough to even scuff the paint on the receiver. Amazing the number of diesel pickups that the only thing they have in the bed is a Line-X bedliner. Not even a tool box. But it is their money.

My diesel trucks have no 5th wheel, no gooseneck, Gear 20" alloy wheels, flawless custom paint jobs, no tool box. They look like mild show trucks.

But guess what? They haul 8-9 tons on a routine basis.

About the only giveaway that there's something funny going on is if you look close enough to see the airbags between the leafs and the frame.

F550 or 5500 Ram maybe?

The problem with light duty trucks is no matter how fancy they are they are still very limited in what they can do. A medium or heavy duty truck provides so much more bang for the buck.

The thing with 1 tons is a lot of guys buy them with a dump body on the back and now think they have a real truck. I see them over loaded constantly.

Last edited:
Find a 2007 (not 2007.5) Chevy/GMC with LBZ, low miles, zero modifications, preferably from an retiree that only uses it to pull his RV around on occasion.

The following are relatively inexpensive and easy mods to perform to fix either known issues and/or increase reliability of the truck.

That model will need the transfer case "pump-rub" issue addressed (Merchant Automotive kit)

Install a cat delete pipe (2007 LBZ has no DPF).

Get a tune(s) from Nick @ DuramaxTuner, "Idaho" Rob Coddens or Black Bear with a DSP-5 switch.

The tune can turn the EGR valve off. A lot easier, cheaper and less headaches than removing/blocking the EGR valve. Plus it will optimize fueling points, transmission shifting, reliability, drivability, power and MPG.

Economy, Optimized Stock, Mild, Tow, and Valet tunes are your best bet for the DSP 5 switch. Race tunes burn up transmissions.

Install an AirDog 100 fuel lift pump/filtration system. Smallest GPH models will work best for under 500hp applications.

If lift pump/filter system is not in the budget, get the Nicktane Caterpillar fuel filter adapter kit. Allows you to use $20 2-micron rated Cat fuel filters with better micron/efficiency ratings than the more expensive OEM filter.

Install PCV Re-Route Kit

Install Trans-Go Allison SK Jr kit and Tru-Cool LPD trans fluid cooler

Look at tie rod sleeves and steering link brace.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
And yet...hotshotters regularly gross 25-30,000lbs on a 1-ton dually, then run the truck 500,000+ miles!

At that point, might as well buy more truck that would handle that kind of gross ever better. At 25K GCW and above, all kind of IFTA and DOT regulations kick in. Why pull around that kind of weight in regards to business and do it with a toy. Sure they might pull it around, but folks doing that kind of thing, I can blow by on a hill when I am grossing 78,000 with my semi, and do it a 1400-1500 RPM. See it every day. I would be more inclined to get a medium duty truck and move up to, say, a 9L motor and heavier drive train components. Again, one has already broken the 25K lb DOT and IFTA threshold, so might at well do it right and more operationally cost effective.

Because compared to a MDT, it cost about half as much to run a dually pickup!

IFTA is >26K, not 25K. (We have four trucks at work with 25,900-26,000 GVWR; none have IFTA stickers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back