2.4 Toyota & Delvac1 5/40 for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
toyota vvti systems are notoriously sensitive to viscosity for noise and check engine lights

So, what does it do when ambient temperatures are low? Throw a CEL? You can have your engine at operating temperatures and still have oil temperatures lagging significantly. Shannow's question still stands. What particular parameters cause the CEL to be thrown? What do they do to prevent the problem in other countries where something other than a 20 grade might be used?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
It has to do with flow resistance at high rpms. Will throw code P0521 (oil pressure sensor/switch range/performance) and/or disable vvti.

What's the actual viscosity that trips this process ?

If D1 is going to do it at (say) 90C oil temperature, then TGMO will do the same at 65C.

If it's common, then the trigger point should be widely known, and available, and we can advise the OP what oils viscosities and temperature ranges need to be avoided.

The original idea was to run a premium oil & filter up to 15k through the Wisconsin winter so I wouldn't have to crawl under the car and change oil yet protect the engine.

No booger man under the hood, no codes in 3k, looking at a -7F start tomorrow morning.

I understand your intent...and seriously doubt that you'll get codes doing it.

Trying to draw out the facts/fearmongering that's extant on BITOG.

I'm interested in how it goes through winter, as oils are allowed to "slip" a W grade in use/testing, and while I seriously doubt Delvac 1 will, it's going to be in use for a comparatively long time.

-7F...wow, -7C is what I get most years, -11C once in nearly never.

I mentioned somewhere else here in the last bit that I started the G37 outside in something like -26 C after a many hours, with no problems. It worked as expected for a 5w-XX, of course.

All is well at the half point, little over 8 weeks and 6000 miles, still no consumption, color has stabilized, motor sounds great even as the last two starts were just below 0F...side note the Altimax Artic's are still measuring 12/32 front and rear, I'm liking these tires..here are some pics if you like..

02/13/2016

Looking good-biggest thing is just don't beat on the throttle excessively when it's not fully warmed up, Delvac 1 is a lot better than any 5W30 dino juice! I'd be interested to see a UOA on it when you change it.

cold starts (-15F this morning) I start then roll then easy on the throttle..it took the trans 1.8 miles @60mph to finally allow fourth gear..computer must want a temp before 4th for some reason.

concerned with Blackstone, they have not responded to my sample kit request twice now. Where else might I purchase a UOA?

Snowmobile season is a bust here so had 12 gal. of 91 0E sitting around the pole building I dumped into my Highlander, toped it off with 10E and drove 238 miles home..Whoa, noticable better fuel economy..like 15-20%

Last edited:
Mobil Delvac rebate checks were in the mail box today 21 & 14 days after online form completed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
mileage has been slowed due to a parking lot collision body shop time and then my bud drove on another weekend we went ATVing on the snowmobile trails..now this last Saturday I hit a deer so it will be back in the shop, anyway, I have 10,400 on the Delvac 1 still planning on the 15k OCI..little to no oil used so far...
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag187/33dblshock/02_13_2016/IMG_0597_zpsa4iqh0n9.jpg

Love to see this goldenish hue used Delvac 1 oil at 10K miles ....and keep going.

Thanks for sharing ..... awaiting UOA ...

My OCI timeline was delayed as the Highlander was in the bodyshop for over 3 weeks, that aside it turned 15,200 today and will be dumped next weekend ans samples sent to Blackstone. Consumption is very low, maybe a cup, motor sounds fine running through the heat now, even did some boat (2,800 lb.) trailering.

]Delvac 1 15,200mi.[/url]

Here is the filter cut open, Blackstone has a oil sample, I'll post it when finished.

thanks again to car51 for the filter work.

Fram_Filter

same combo again, I bought 12 gallons of this on sale & rebate, filters buy one at a time on e.bay so will continue also consider Blackstone's comments.

Blackstone has had my used oil sample 5 working days, wondering what is their typical turn around? CC not charged either.

car51 I'm curious, was the old oil inside the filter still nice and slick, gooey as you handled it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back