Dumped the smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get by without mine.

What if my best bud had Wheaties for breakfast instead of his usual Fruit Loops, and I did not hear about it until later on. If that were to happen my day would be absolutely ruined!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I can't get by without mine.

What if my best bud had Wheaties for breakfast instead of his usual Fruit Loops, and I did not hear about it until later on. If that were to happen my day would be absolutely ruined!

You definitely need to stay in the..."Fruit Loop".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: opus1
Like any tool the smartphone is not to blame as much as the tool using the tool.
grin.gif

I have one, finally tossed my Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone due to terrible coverage when I needed it during a family crisis. I priced a "dumb" phone from the major carriers vs. a smart one and found that the cost was more, but not outrageous when you factor in it replaced my home internet connection as well. It's handy to have when traveling for things like boarding passes, finding quick directions and so forth.

Could I live without it? Yes, other than needing some sort of reliable phone for my family's needs. It's nice to have, though, and I'm not one of those zombies you see walking down the street, oblivious to everything going on around me.

Exactly. Newsflash to people, one can have useful devices and not be some imbecile glued to it, and ignoring society and family sitting right next to you. If one's best attempt to prevent this is to throw the tool away, perhaps it says something about their mental state and ability to interact socially... Not the device's fault.

I was going to say something to the same effect.

I have a smart phone and have ZERO social media apps on it. I very seldom use it in a store- really only call someone to confirm a purchase or look up something related to my purchase. Otherwise it gets silenced before entry. On occasion I may use it to pass some time waiting, but only if I'm alone. If I'm not, I'll interact with who I'm with. Funny, the ability to self moderate. Too bad the author didn't posses the ability.

Smart phone?? Whats that!!

I use a common Tracfone, have for years. No pictures, no texting, just talk. Great in case of emergency, or to check in at home while in the grocery as to what the old man forgot. Other that that no use for a phone. Don't like to talk on the phone anyway, spent to many years as a phone salesman.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I don't need a smart phone. No one needs a smart phone.

Good for him that he actually did it, but that's his choice. Just like it's my choice to have a smart phone. I've thought about dumping the smart phone for at least a dumb phone as there is a level of security that comes from it in emergencies but I haven't. I also don't let my phone run my life. If I don't want answer, I don't.

It's all about personal choice.

It's a her, not a him...

I hardly ever take my phone anywhere....

I am getting one for work, but I don't have one for personal use; I just have a flip phone.

Certainly a big help for truckers out on the road for 15+ days. Not everyone comes home to a place with internet access. I suspect it is a lot of people's primary internet access.

Using social media requires being social....

Last edited:
I just got my first smart phone 2 weeks ago. While I can certainly understand why some people despise them, I'm just fully learning how to use mine and I find it to be quite useful. However, I don't spend most of my time on it, and I would still never replace person to person interaction with it when being with the person(s) is possible...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Funny, the ability to self moderate. Too bad the author didn't posses the ability.

That principle applies to MANY topics that are, more or less, banned discussion here: TV, food,car loans, alcohol, and on and on.

I sometimes think that people that denounce all this stuff actually may have self control problems themselves, so they need to live a rigid, imposed set of rules in order to not waiver due to their weakness. For some, it is "denomination rules" that they live by. Some don't know how to think for themselves and/or lack self control.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I suspect it is a lot of people's primary internet access.

We don't have landline phone or Internet, just our smartphones. We can't even get high speed Internet via landline where we live, so our only other option would be satellite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back