Ford guys: Crown Vic windshield washer not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother in law has a 2001 Crown Vic, 4.6 V8 with about 120,000 miles on it. She is here today for a visit and asked me to check the windshield washers, they just up and quit working a few days ago. Is there anything specific to Fords to look for or any common problems with their washers to look for? I do not know a whole lot about Fords myself but will see what I can find out. Thanks for any help.

When you attempt to use the washers, can you hear the washer-motor running? Try this with the engine OFF and the key in the "run" position.

Besides the motor the only thing there is to it are some hoses, which could be broken and just squirting it in the engine compartment somewhere, the fuse, and the MFS (turn signal switch)

Could fluid be frozen from cold weather? If not, it might be the pump needs replaced or hose disconnected. Like they said above try listening for the motor while engine is off.

I should ask, when you push the button to wash, do the wipers activate for a few as if it was working?
If yes, then its the hoses, pump, or wiring which you can check easy with a meter while someone activates the washer.
Ive also heard of the nozzles becoming clogged in some cases. The pump develops minimal pressure so it wont push through.

Last edited:
I've had the hose from the pump come disconnected where it meets the connection for the line that runs into the hood a few times. The pump runs, but just pumps the washer fluid into the engine bay.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
I've had the hose from the pump come disconnected where it meets the connection for the line that runs into the hood a few times. The pump runs, but just pumps the washer fluid into the engine bay.

In which case you'll see the fluid dripping onto the ground under the car.

There is nothing dripping on the ground. Wipers and washer are both working fine, I have tested it about 6 times in 30 minutes and they have not failed yet. I do notice the washer pump is super loud, has a loud buzzing squawking quality to the sound when it operates. I wonder if that is a sign of a bad pump? I am about to pull the fluid reservoir and see if there is an intermittent bad connection or bad wire. Thanks again for your help.

Also she said the washer did not work several times this past week, no real pattern to it, happened when she first started the car in the morning, also happened while driving with the engine warmed up. It has not gotten anywhere near cold enough here for the fluid to freeze. This is the second time she has had the problem, the first time was a couple of months ago and the wipers and washers both worked fine when I tested it then too.

Many washer pumps have a slip coupling between the motor and pump to keep the motor from burning out if the fluid freezes. I doubt you have a freeze problem in Florida but that coupling may have failed, letting the motor run while not turning the pump itself. I had a Volvo with a thing of beauty pump by VDO and I finally had to epoxy the coupling. The price for a new one was indecent and I had already bought one new one which failed just like the one which came with the car. Another reminder that OEM isn't ALWAYS just ducky. It's interesting, my fleet of Toyotas (4 now) have never lost a pump, and new ones are cheap compared to that Volvo pump.

Last edited:
A new pump fixed it, $22.00 and change with my AAA discount at Napa. The old pump was really loud and sounded like it was about to sling apart. The new one is super quiet. Also the old pump would only pump the washer fluid about maybe 10 inches out of the nozzles. This new one squirts all the way up to the roof line. I blew the hoses out with compressed air. I did not see any debris come out the nozzles but it has a nice wide spray pattern now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back