Very cold outside, vehicle sitting for a few day's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering with the cold weather outside, like 9*,[wind chill] day time, likely to be even lower tonight. With the vehicle, 01 mazda, with over 160,000 miles, running good. Anyway car will sit till Monday, is it any good to start and let run for a few minutes, 5 at the most, then Sunday the same? Come Monday temp's will hover once again in the 40's. Here in the mid Atlantic states on the east coast. Maybe better to check tomorrow only, Sunday? huh? Just a concern about battery and being a older car with miles on it.

Unless you're going to start it and let it get to full operating temp (20+ minutes in such cold weather), don't bother.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 07titan
is it any good to start and let run for a few minutes, 5 at the most, then Sunday the same?

No. You are doing more damage this way, IMO.

If you are worried about the battery, bring it indoors.

Leave it off until you're ready to actually use it. Running it 5 minutes will do more harm than good, especially in the cold. FTR wind chill has no impact on machinery, only people.

Wind chill has nothing to do with it, only the actual temperature. And 9 degrees is not severe, my old BMW regularly sees temperatures as low as -25 or worse in northern Wisconsin and starts just fine. It all has to do with the battery condition and proper selection of oil.

It does more harm than good to start an engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Just leave it alone.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wind chill has nothing to do with it, only the actual temperature. And 9 degrees is not severe, my old BMW regularly sees temperatures as low as -25 or worse in northern Wisconsin and starts just fine. It all has to do with the battery condition and proper selection of oil.

It does more harm than good to start an engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. Just leave it alone.

^ This. Vehicles don't care about wind chill. Unless you're using a 20wxx oil it will be fine.

That said when it's cold and the vehicle has sat for a few days, I'll let it run a minute or two before setting out.

How long has battery been in the car?? If its been 4-5 plus yrs then I would just buy another battery. The aftermarket car batteries are good for about this long in our area on average. My lady's Sunfire battery had 5 plus yrs on it in 2013. I went ahead and just bought a new one.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Unless you're going to start it and let it get to full operating temp (20+ minutes in such cold weather), don't bother.

+1. Just leave it. If you start the car make sure you drive it for at least 10-20 minutes to get the battery charged. I would also let the car idle for 3-5 minutes before driving.

Don't start it unless you're going somewhere, and that's not cold. Cars don't feel wind chill.

Well it is quite cold in fact... It is 2 standard deviations from normal. Which means that it is in fact quite cold for a given time of year and given area. 3 standard deviations from normal is record cold or hot with the possibility of all time records being broken.

An example of this was late last February in fact. We had record LOW maximum high temp records set. High temps were in the low 20s which broke previous records of highs 28 degrees or so. Average High temps in this area for late February are in the low 50s. We were 3 standard deviations from normal late last February.

Yes, this isn't -20, -30°F or -40°F in Saskatchewan. But for this area low temps in the single digits is rather cold. Maybe not record territory but quite cold. In northern Vermont where I went to vacation at a couple of yrs ago it's similar to low temps in the -10°F to -20°F range. Quite cold but not brutally cold. Up there where it can get to -30°F and colder to be considered their brutally cold conditions. Obviously cold is relative to the area which we are in.

A couple of weeks ago when low temps were in the low teens I noticed how some vehicles sounded while running down the road. I also noticed how my lady's Camry sounded when it started. Louder than if it was 50°F out.

Lol. Ask the the dealeships how often they randomly start every car on the lot during cold weather.

Soud ridiculous yet?

Col weather alters electron transfer. Weather waems up, battery come alive. Cold weather should only be dreaded if a battery is bad and you actually have to use it.

I don't know where this sudden fascination came from, many other members have posted the same ridiculous question. Sorry.

All you're doing by starting a car and letting it idle is introducing condensation into the exhaust and crankcase, and causing potential problems down the road. Carbon buildup, sludge, and rotted exhaust systems will become the norm for you.

Let your car (an appliance) sit until you need to drive it. Cars were meant to be driven, not idled needlessly. Do you turn on your microwave because it hasn't been used in a few days?

Originally Posted By: dave123
That's not cold

I beg to differ. In my neck of the woods movement would come to a dead stop at those temps.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Slap a trickle charger on it.

Yup, this. It'll heat the battery from inside out.

You could also stuff a 40 watt incandesecent drop light under the hood to keep the battery and anything else a little warmer.

I'd be more concerned with incorrect apostrophe usage to make a plural.
50.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back