How do you wash your tomatoes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it -- tomatoes get touched and squeezed by people with hands that aren't exactly surgically clean; so there's no tellin' what kind of germs are on them by time you get them home. Is a simple rinse under the kitchen faucet good enough, or are more drastic measures necessary ?

I usually pick them, wipe them on my shirt, and then eat them. This time of the year I simply open up the Mason jar that we used to can them last fall.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I usually pick them, wipe them on my shirt, and then eat them. This time of the year I simply open up the Mason jar that we used to can them last fall.

+1. We grow our own.

Store bought ALWAYS goes into the Tersano lotus Sanitizing System.

It is 50-percent more powerful and more than 3,000 times faster acting on bacteria than chlorine

Last edited:
Those hard, pink, tasteless, truck-ripened balls you buy in a grocery store are not tomatoes. If you really want to taste tomatoes, grow your own - and you won't have to wash them!
grin2.gif

I bless them first....

Matter of fact, I bless most all my food before I eat it. Especially when eating out, lol!

That's how I wash my food.

Last edited:
We're better off being exposed to more and different kinds of bacteria than to be isolated from it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. We grow our own.
Yah we don't can , but Mum did. And we had a garden except for when Dad got his doctorate. Fresh, string beans, Corn, Tomatoes,Every other year, apples. I'm waxing nostalgic, but I hated to weed.I started weeding before I went to school. Tomatoes dont do well at my place. Plus ,I live on the edge of 1200 acres of polder. A man made, fresh water marsh created by damming an estuary. Deer raccoons squirrels rabbits etc I put up a fence for the deer and the wood chucks.. The small gardens I've created are OK with beans and cukes basil and a few other herbs.

I wash all my store bought produce with a water vinegar spray. But I enjoy growing my own tomatoes. Growing in Texas heat, nothing like picking one off the vine and biting into it. Nice warm and juicy. Grow some sweet 100's and they are like eating candy. Grandsons love them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. We grow our own.
Store bought Tomatoes are't worth eating.No flavor! Low or no vitamins or minerals.

I have only had one Tomato for some time and I usually trust her to was herself, but I must admit that it is fun to assist from time to time using her cleanser of choice.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Those hard, pink, tasteless, truck-ripened balls you buy in a grocery store are not tomatoes. If you really want to taste tomatoes, grow your own - and you won't have to wash them!
grin2.gif

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.000199
why .000199?
my sister (in a land far far away) had some acid rains = no mo garden produce :-((((

my mom topped off with NATO bombing serbian installs 11KM from her garden, across the border. not much produce from the garden that year (toxic smoke byproduct)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back