Home Testing for Gas in Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I checked, dysonanalysis' lab does an actual test vice an interpretation of fuel dilution. I don't know who else might do this.

It is not much but see fifth bullet under #1 here, which says of a couple drops of oil soaked into a card (blotter test):
Quote:
- A dark center with surrounding rings: Fuel in oil

That would make sense, the gas should spread more than the oil and evaporate. I guess the rings would be from the diluted oil spreading and then gas evaporating.

I have my last oil change from couple days ago in 2 one gallon oil jugs. Do you think the test will still work? I will shake them up and see.

Glad I asked.

the easiest(laboratory) way is to infer from flashpoint

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Light up the engine oil dipstick with a match and see how it burns

Do you have a burn chart to know the % of fuel in oil?

Originally Posted By: landtoy80
That would make sense, the gas should spread more than the oil and evaporate. I guess the rings would be from the diluted oil spreading and then gas evaporating.

I have my last oil change from couple days ago in 2 one gallon oil jugs. Do you think the test will still work? I will shake them up and see.

Glad I asked.

Should work fine. Maybe post a photo of the blotter after it sits to the next day. I always use plain white index cards and two drops of oil. The other thing is that there may be some odor to the oil with fuel in it, not sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back