Anyone here make a homemade jump starter pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the portable power pack in this video.
I'm just wondering what bits could be added to turn this into a decent jump starter pack while retaining good looks?
Maybe a float charger and a forklift battery connector to plug jumper cables in?

I have considered something like that since I always have one or two extra car batteries hanging out. And a battery box.

I refuse to carry jumper cables. Though I may regret that now that it is below 0 haha.

I saw a guy on Craigslist who installed an alternator to a lawnmower engine on some sort of lawn equipment frame and attached cables to the alternator and said it worked great.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I refuse to carry jumper cables. Though I may regret that now that it is below 0 haha.

lol yes make sure you have jumper cables handy. If not for you, but to help someone else.

I used to just carry jumper cables, but now am using a battery pack. I don't have to rely on the kindness of a stranger, and if I want to help someone else, there's no risk to my vehicle.

I'm thinking a couple of sealed lead acid batteries or other non-spillable battery, a meter, and cables with a heavy duty switch so they would always have power at them would make a good one. Maybe a solar or float charger, and a way to charge it directly in a car (cigarette lighter connection ?) and a light would be sweeter.

Batteries are capable of discharging dangerous amounts of current when shorted. Make sure your jumper pack not only looks nice but has a fuse for protection.

My neighbor gave me his $60 battery pack back in August. First thing I noticed was that the cables and clamps are far heavier than your generic jumper cables. Not even close. But alas, I gave the darn thing back to him after 2 months when he claimed that a pocket-sized HSN electronic cell phone charger ($40 retail) also doubled as an effective automobile battery charger, because the shills on TV said it could. I told him it was a joke. Those things aren't even all that good at charging a cell phone let alone a 700 CCA battery. I got so ticked off I told him he could have his "real" battery charger back again as a reminder that size does matter...even though he no longer owns a vehicle.

That sounds like a good idea.

If I needed a jumper box if get the big jumbo Walmart $48.88 battery and a pair of jumper cables. I'd cut one end off the jumper cables and get some battery connectors from the auto parts store and wire the cables to that, so that they have a really good connection to the battery.

I'd probably figure out something to clip the cables to so they don't touch each other when not in use or when transporting.

Also i believe the Walmart batteries have s handle

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would want somewhere to store the cables in and some sort of meter to tell me what state the battery is in.

Multimeter is something that comes along in the vehicle with me if I'm going anywhere out of town.

But I don't want to have to lie to someone when I say I can't jumpstart their car. I don't want someone to put it on backwards.

I don't have enough use for a "regular" jumper pack..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back