Jeep "shudders" at 35-40 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2011 Jeep Wrangler shudders at around 40 mph. It has 50.000 miles on it. When I let off the gas pedal, it goes away. I thought at first, that it was the tranny. I did a few drain and re-fills, along with the "Dr. Shudder" additive added to it. That didn't do it. It has always been well maintained. No off-roading or mudding. I rotated the tires, too, but that didn't help anything.
What should my next step be? What should I look at? I'm thinking about getting it aligned, as it does have a slight pull to the right. Any help or advice would be great.

Last edited:
Most likely the torque converter. try dropping a gear when the shudder starts and if it goes away then you need a torque converter. If someone does the work for you might be better to put a new tranny in. Depends on mileage and how long you want to keep it. I put a used tranny in my Montero when it did that. Shudder felt like driving on rumble strip and would only do it at certain speeds. Lubegard re did help make old one last about an extra year.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Most likely the torque converter. try dropping a gear when the shudder starts and if it goes away then you need a torque converter. If someone does the work for you might be better to put a new tranny in. Depends on mileage and how long you want to keep it.

OP says the 2011 Jeep has 50K on it. Shouldn't need a TC or tranny even if abused and he's never had mud on the tires.

At the speed you mentioned, it sounds as if it does it when the TC is trying to lock up into OD.

Last edited:
My Montero is a 5 speed auto that you can also shift manually if you choose to. When it would shudder around 40-50 mph i would drop t into 4th gear and shudder would go away. Lubegard red might be worth trying. i also changed the fluid after the first Lubegard treatment thinking that would help and shudder came back the same as before. Another Lubegard treatment and 500-1,000 mikes shudder gone or very mild. Tranny shop had trouble noticing it until I drove with them so it helped alot.

I don't know about the "Regular" models, but our JK Rubicon had a CV joint instead of a cardan joint and it would start shuddering every time it would go bad.

It's the joint at the transfer case tailshaft.

I had the _exact_ same behavior as you on my '05 Chrysler 300. A couple years ago at 130,000 mi I replaced the transmission and torque converter with one I got at a junk yard for $300 and it has been perfect ever since.

I just looked it up and your Wrangler probably has the exact same 42RLE transmission that I have in my 300.

Last edited:
I changed the tranny fluid a few years ago, doing a pan drop. Changed filter, also. Since then, I've done a couple of fluid changes, sucking the old out of the full tube. Added lubegard red as well. If is is transmission related, I assume it's still under warranty?? What about driveshaft, u joints, and cv joints? Warranted as well? Thanks

If it's still under powertrain warranty, I would at least get it into the dealer to document the issue-so that when the transmission grenades later, you have a case to get it covered.

A misfire, that acts and feels like a transmission shudder is quite common too. I am with JXW.

In infamous spitting plugs Panthers they behave just like that and they warn you for quite some time before you get that unmuffled tractor sound effect. Admittedly, it's a totally different animal.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I changed the tranny fluid a few years ago, doing a pan drop. Changed filter, also. Since then, I've done a couple of fluid changes, sucking the old out of the full tube. Added lubegard red as well. If is is transmission related, I assume it's still under warranty?? What about driveshaft, u joints, and cv joints? Warranted as well? Thanks

Wow, you are a true Bitog'r. A change will get you nothing then. I'm going to say no to a misfire because that should throw a code, if you have a scanner you could look for a "pending code" which will show up before a CEL will

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Most likely the torque converter. try dropping a gear when the shudder starts and if it goes away then you need a torque converter. If someone does the work for you might be better to put a new tranny in. Depends on mileage and how long you want to keep it.

OP says the 2011 Jeep has 50K on it. Shouldn't need a TC or tranny even if abused and he's never had mud on the tires.

Chrysler has had some trans issues lately. A friend had two transmissions fail in under 40k on a new Chrysler 200. She got it decreed a "Lemon" and got a Jeep to replace it.

Well, I got a call from the dealers service dept today. And this is what "she" said. All for ball joints need replaced. The steering gear needs replaced. She also said this made my tires wear uneven, so she recommended new tires. As well as an alignment.. I'm going to hold off on the tires. They're not that bad IMO.

Here's the question to YOU guys..... What should I do? I'm thinking of doing the ball joints, and alignment, and se what that does. What do you think, Bitogians??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back