Ground effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to this concept?

I remember Camaro RS cars having ground effects and alot of tuner cars got into it with body kits.

Did the auto industry incorporate more subtley in recent years?

I really hardly ever seen low riders and hydraulics like I used to.

Seeing as you have driveby topics...

What is YOUR understanding of
a) ground effect;
b) why they were popular;
c) why they aren't ?

Would be interested in hearing your views on the truth.

It is not a concept. It is a basic part of aerodynamics.

Many race cars use it to their advantage.
Most road cars have too much clearance at normal driving speeds for it to be of any concern.

The stuff is all fluff on the street...one has to "slightly" exceed the nanny state speed limits to have any effect at all. The stuff may have some use on the Autobahn. Shaping cars for lower drag does have payback, downforce COSTS energy to produce by increasing drag. I don't miss the five foot high wings the ricers bolted to their trunk lids.

Last edited:
"Ground effects" was a misnomer in the context of production cars. While a very real aerodynamic principle, used extensively on open wheel cars through the '80s and into the '90s, "ground effects" applied to a production car were cosmetic at best and detrimental to performance at worst (most actually increased lift at high speeds).

A better description is chin spoiler, side skirts, and rear valance.

To that end, "ground effects" haven't gone completely away, manufacturers have just changed their name. Porsche calls it the "SportDesign" package on many of their models.

The trend these days is putting annoying CF spliters down low in curb range.

29426_b.jpg

They all do this, but Ferrari is one of the worst offenders. If you look at nice cars around here they are just about all broke.

Mercedes for years and years has put their stupid little plastic lip under the front bumper, so if you pull to close to front curbs or snow banks, just about any snow bank, you get a nice CRUNCH sound when you back up. Once the crack most people just leave them cracked, its a waste of time fixing them.

Cars driven on roads need ground clearance.

Last edited:
I haven't heard that term in years! I remember it well though :^) We'd see a really cool car and if it had what we'd call "ground effects",it made it even COOLER!!

I remember the Camaros,T/A's,Nissan Z31's having them. I guess they were like "ground spoilers" per se? They were always on the side skirts of cars.

Most of the front lips on cars are to reduce lift. This shouldn't be classified as anything to do with ground effect aerodynamics.

Screwed on plastic carp from J.C.Whitney
PONTIAC means Plenty Of Non-essential, Tacky, Inane Plastic Garbage and Ugly Hood Scoops!

I think that's right. Kira

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I haven't heard that term in years! I remember it well though :^) We'd see a really cool car and if it had what we'd call "ground effects",it made it even COOLER!!

I remember the Camaros,T/A's,Nissan Z31's having them. I guess they were like "ground spoilers" per se? They were always on the side skirts of cars.

I remember the huge windshield banners you'd see on GM trucks that said "GROUND EFFECTS" which I always thought was ridiculous.

For those that think they don't do anything...pull the lower air dam off your late model car, and see how your fuel mileage is effected. I have seen several statements that just the simple addition of an air dam is worth 1 mpg. Go search around the hyper-miler forums and you will get a taste of what good aero changes can do for you...not to mention what they can do for high speed performance, if properly designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back