Rotella 5W40 in a Tecumseh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Craftsman chipper vac with a Tecumseh LEV120, would T6 be ok for it? The engine manual has in bold "Do not use 10W40" I run it in all my Briggs engines and it's easier to buy one oil. Thanks

there was a time when some 10W40 were famous for blocking the oil rings with brown stuff, and sometimes sticking the compression rings too. I have had to rebuild engines as a result.

This was in the 80's and early 90's. Thankfully additives have progressed beyond that point now.

You should be safe.

Rod

Your engine probably calls for something in the 30 wt line. I only use 10-30 in all my OPE with success.

For OPE and ATV's I've gone to 15/40 Rotella works even better above single digit temps.

Best stuff I have ever used in my Briggs Generator was T6. It burns no noticeable amount of T6. I use it in the Hnbda mower as well, and in a snowblower.

The old Tecumseh engine have a small oil pump, the rod is not splash lube. This is why regular oil changes are very important, the pump may be plugged easily. This has resulted in failure of many engines, properly maintained they are better than a briggs.

Rod

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I wouldn't use too thick of oil with a splash system.

All my OPE engines are running on sae40 oil (from 5W, 10W to 15W).....for twenty years now

Tecumseh HMSK100 and B&S 3,5HP

It runs great and doesn't use any oil, except it's spitting white milky sludge out the breather. It's done it since I got it 3 months ago

TriMoto, I wouldn't bother with any XW40 in Wisconsin ... as you are not likely to need that extra bit of high-temp protection ... but you're probably fine with a 5W40.

As others have pointed out, the warning about 10W40 is out of date.

If you were buying an oil specifically for this motor, I'd probably opt for a XW30 ... synthetic or semi-synthetic depending on how cold it gets when you start this thing up (HDEO preferred).

10-30 is too light for a tecumseh . they tend to drink oil as they age and will drink up 10-30 much faster . if you use 10-30 you better keep a sharp eye on the oil level. not good for 90 deg+ temps either. i use 20w-50 synth in my tecumsehs here in florida and they do great on it. i would frefer straight 30w synth but it dosnt exist in most brands

super20dan, it sounds like your recommendation is Florida-specific. The original poster lives in Wisconsin ... effectively in another world.

My Dad had an old 1032 John Deere snowblower with a Tecumseh ... similar to what you described. It had an unknown service history (some neglect, for sure) and consumed oil regularly. Since it was kept in a heated garage, I switched it to (I think) straight 40 weight and the consumption stopped. A season or two later, I switched it to 15W40 and ran it on that stuff until the machine fell apart a decade and a half later.

Its replacement was an Ariens 11528 with a Tecumseh OHV, and that machine has run for over 10 years on XW30 weight oils with no problems, little or no consumption. I broke the machine in carefully myself, so that may have something to do with it.

I'm assuming TriMoto will be using his wood chipper in cooler weather?

It's open and sometimes very windy where I'm at so I use it when needed in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back