What size air compressor is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so I'll start off by saying I'm looking for a diy air compressor for my garage . It needs to run a 1/2 impact a die grinder and air ratchet stuff like that. I'd prefer an electric 120v compressor. Any preference on brand? What's the difference between horsepower and sizes ? Would an 8 or 10lb compressor work? Thanks everyone.

You'll need a compressor with a large tank (at least 30 gallon). I would try to get a cheap compressor of CL. That's what I did, got a 27 gallon compressor for $80.

If you are doing a lot of work all the time with air tools, you'll need something larger to keep with with the air demand that the tools need.

Last edited:
Buy the largest that you reasonably can. 120v will limit you to at most a 30-33 gallon compressor. Another thing to consider is oiled vs. oil-less. An oiled, belt-driven compressor will be quieter than an oil-less compressor.

Most light-duty compressors are rated for 50% load. So half the time the compressor is off waiting for the pressure to drop enough to cut back on. A larger tank helps extend time between compressor runs. Even a 10 gallon tank will run an impact. It might need to refill after each wheel. It likely won't run tools that need continuous airflow, like a die grinder.

I have a 30 gallon Porter Cable oiled compressor that I've been pretty happy with. It is "portable" in that it moves from its storage spot to the outlet 10 feet away and back when I'm done. At 150 lbs with most of that at the top, it's not going anywhere beyond the garage, though.

When it comes to air compressors there's really no substitute for a nice big 240v compressor. I have a small 3 gal 120v that I use for my stuff that requires portability, but it is really limited. For most tasks I use my 60 gallon 3.2 HP compressor. With it I can run things like die grinders, random orbit sanders and buffers without having to stop and wait for the pressure to catch up. I'd recommend that you get as big of a compressor as you can. The 120v stuff is going to be really lackluster when it comes to running something that uses quite a bit of air like a die grinder for any length of time.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
When it comes to air compressors there's really no substitute for a nice big 240v compressor. I have a small 3 gal 120v that I use for my stuff that requires portability, but it is really limited. For most tasks I use my 60 gallon 3.2 HP compressor. With it I can run things like die grinders, random orbit sanders and buffers without having to stop and wait for the pressure to catch up. I'd recommend that you get as big of a compressor as you can. The 120v stuff is going to be really lackluster when it comes to running something that uses quite a bit of air like a die grinder for any length of time.

+1 Been there done that. There is nothing like a 60 gallon compressor. It was the best investment I made for my garage. I have a small 15 gallon unit next to it, that I use if I need air in the tires during the winter. For powering my impact wrenches, my rust proofing gun, grinders, air saw, air hammer, etc. the 60 gallon unit is worth its weight in gold. My only regret is I didn't buy it 35 years ago when I bought my first house.

My 15 gallon unit will operate an impact wrench for tire removal, if I have the patience to wait for it to refill. If something is really tight, its breaker bar time! It will work my rust proofing gun, with patience, a lot of patience. I wouldn't dare paint with it though, not if I'm looking for quality work.

Now that I have the 60 gallon unit I think back at the lack or power and all the time I wasted with the smaller unit. You'll probably also find that once you start using air tools, you'll want more. A small machine will severely limit what you can use in terms or air tools. Something else to consider.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone so I'll start off by saying I'm looking for a diy air compressor for my garage . It needs to run a 1/2 impact a die grinder and air ratchet stuff like that. I'd prefer an electric 120v compressor. Any preference on brand? What's the difference between horsepower and sizes ? Would an 8 or 10lb compressor work? Thanks everyone.

Save your money a small acompressor will just be wasted money and not run tools you listed. Buy one large one and have it for a lifetime and run anything you want it to a true 5hp min.

I will never buy a single stage compressor again. The 175psi 2 stage compressor always keeps the cut-in pressure above the working pressure you need to get the most out of your air tools. I need to keep the regulator at 125psi to maintain are working pressure of 90psi. There is quite a bit of pressure drop through all the fittings, filters, and hoses. Dryer air on the 2 stage too, plus I even use a refrigerated air dryer also. Money well spent.

Look at the tools you are considering for CFM at a given pressure and find a compressor that can meet that requirement. Used off CL is not a bad place to look. Or a smaller compressor and a secondary 60 gal tank.

I have one that I can pick up and carry and a large 5 HP 2-stage with 60 gal tank. I do use the smaller one for some situations where I want a trim nail gun and do not want to run air hose inside my house.

Lastly do not rule out cordless, especially for impact wrench. They are on par these days with pneumatic impact wrench as far as ft lbs go.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Lastly do not rule out cordless, especially for impact wrench. They are on par these days with pneumatic impact wrench as far as ft lbs go.

I would make a list corded/cordless electric vs air tools+compressor.

Electric may be the way to go. I got a load of air tools, impact,die grinder,chisel,obrital sander, etc.... But I'm using these tools less than 5 hours per YEAR.

I certainly could have done better with electric and have a small air compressor just for air nailers/tire inflates.

It's nice to have these tools, but really I'd be better off having $$$ into something else, like a Rolex SeaMaster.

Last edited:
Interesting comments about cordless impact guns I've been meaning to get one for quick jobs. I just bought an AIRCAT 1150, are there any cordless impact guns that are on par with that?

A larger 120v machine is decent for intermittent use. I'm not using mine every day, so a 120v 30 gallon machine is plenty. Even for a die grinder, if it's not a big job.

Efficient air tools help, too. Buying the cheap air hogs makes any compressor seem inadequate. Not everybody has the room or electrical capacity for a 240v machine. Getting slightly more efficient air tools up front will make a smaller compressor do more work. They're also often quieter, which helps not anger the wife, pets, or kids!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back