Fresh oil change - dipstick smells like exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm checking out a car with 20k miles, about 6 years old, with serious intent to buy. The oil has, of course, been freshly changed, but what should it smell like once it's hot?

When I smelled the hot oil on the dipstick, I got a strong sense of exhaust fumes. The car isn't smoking and there aren't any smells in the cabin.

smile.gif
It's a miata

I didn't exclude to hide it from you, but just thought it's a general question that I'm applying to other cars too.

No, the oil is fresh and clean. I have the history on the car and know the former owner (it's at a dealership), so I'm quite confident it's in good shape.

I'm sharpening my car knowledge from a buyer's perspective and learning to spot problem issues. I just never put my nose to a hot dipstick before and was surprised to smell exhaust.

Originally Posted By: ragtophardtop
No, the oil is fresh and clean. I have the history on the car and know the former owner (it's at a dealership), so I'm quite confident it's in good shape.

I'm sharpening my car knowledge from a buyer's perspective and learning to spot problem issues. I just never put my nose to a hot dipstick before and was surprised to smell exhaust.

I am not sure whether that engine is DI. If it is DI< it is sulfur in gas that ends up in oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I am not sure whether that engine is DI. If it is DI< it is sulfur in gas that ends up in oil.

From the brochure:

Engine Type
167-hp†, MZR 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with variable valve timing (VVT)

Fuel system
Multiport electronic fuel injection with tuned air intake
Electronically controlled port fuel injection
Ignition system/fuel system
Distributorless electronic/multiport fuel injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back