Can I use straight 40 in 2.5L Toyota Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 1997 Toyota Hiace Super Custom Van with the 2.5L Turbo diesel engine. The normal average temperatures during the time I use it are usually around 85F in the Philippines, so I was wondering if I can just use a straight SAE 40 oil.

Thanx!

Yes you can as long as it doesn't need to start in freezing temperatures.

However a multi grade oil would be superior if cost is the same such as a 10w40 or even 15w40.

What is the quality of the sae 40 vs 10w40 in your country? Do you get API SN/SM/SL/SJ oils there? I Would get the highest api grade first if possible.

I'd be more concerned about the quality of Philipino SAE40 than the weight. What variety of oil is this?

I'm sure you can get multigrade rotella or similar, are you in an urban area or rural? Mb try asking around at some mechanic shops where is the best place to buy oil.

The Hiace is a dependable beast. Gotta treat her right.

MBDiesel.jpg

This is the appropriate temperature range sets for straight 30 and 40wt.

There are newer guidance sets for some multi grades as the api specs have improved, but physics hasn't changed the scenario much for multi grades.

Looking at JHZR2's viscosity chart which he's kindly supplied, you technically can...

But would you want to?

I'd be swinging towards the 5w-40 personally as it's "less wrong at start up" as Shannow would say and it gives you "all temperature" usability

Making sure the oil you use has the appropriate performance spec is just as important as the correct viscosity as well.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

What is the quality of the sae 40 vs 10w40 in your country? Do you get API SN/SM/SL/SJ oils there? I Would get the highest api grade first if possible.

I would opt for a multi grade oil also, but would go with a CH-4, CI-4, CI-4+, or CJ-4.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I would opt for a multi grade oil also, but would go with a CH-4, CI-4, CI-4+, or CJ-4.

Yes ofcourse go with the proper diesel rated oil if you have first choice!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
MBDiesel.jpg

This is the appropriate temperature range sets for straight 30 and 40wt.

Question please, JHZR2: Is a straight 30wt only useable up to 80F? The chart does not show an arrow top for 30wt. I have used straight 30 in my (gas) Chevy truck in the summer time for years here in south TX, where temps reach 95-100 for 6 months of the year. Never an issue.

I am still stuck in the past. I prefer straight wieght oil in warm weather, I run sae 30 til the temps say to change it out.
But I usually don't do àny short trip, I see alot of highway operation.
If it were me and temps were 80plus, I would find it hard to opt for multi-wieghts.

Harvey

You mean like a commercial highway diesel truck that regularly moves up to 80,000 lb of truck and freight? See if the results of a 10w30 HDEO CJ-4/SM oil that it is getting fits what would work for you.....

Miles on Motor 493387 Miles on oil 20100

Iron 28
Chromium 2
Lead 6
Copper 1
Tin 0
Aluminum 1
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Vanadium 1
Silicon 3
Boron 1
Sodium 22
Potassium 2
Magnesium 985
Calcium 1494
Phosphorus 1276
Zinc 1573
Moly 68
Barium 0

Vis @ 100c 11.53
TBN 8.14
Oxidation 16
Nitration 8

My choices I would use according to the what the chart says, is 5w40 synthetic diesel rated oil. If your not in an area that gets real cold and cost is a concern, then my second choice would be 15w40 diesel rated oil.

One thing to watch is-how much sulfur does your diesel fuel contain? If it isn't below 500 PPM, I would avoid the CJ-4 & stick with a CI-4 (older) spec, or an ACEA B3 or B4 oil to handle the extra acids generated by combustion. What is your straight 40 rated? If it's CF-2 or similar (DD 2 stroke oil), it's going to have low ash/TBN & won't last long without becoming acidic.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Looking at JHZR2's viscosity chart which he's kindly supplied, you technically can...

But would you want to?

I'd be swinging towards the 5w-40 personally as it's "less wrong at start up" as Shannow would say and it gives you "all temperature" usability

Making sure the oil you use has the appropriate performance spec is just as important as the correct viscosity as well.
I worked for an equipment rental company that that ran Delo 400 straight 30 in the San Francisco Bay area for 17 years . Their equipment Forklifts,company cars Ford 350 vans and their class 8 vehicles IN my honest opinion lasted too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back