LED vs Halogen Backup lights-pics (elantra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
there are no actual reverse fog lights. Sometimes someone puts an odd amber light in the backup socket and rewires it but that is foolishness. Real rear foglights have been required for years in Europe and you see them here sometimes (such as Olds Aurora). A standard tail light is low brightness with modest reflector so you will not be blinded by a super bright taillight. Now they will add a different tail light, typically a 21w bulb, with a reflector and red lens. When this is manually turned ON you will have a super bright taillight. When you are driving in fog, rain, or snow the extra brightness is dimmed by the mist / snow / etc.but hopefully the extra brightness will keep you from being part of a 300 car collision, as in England, Germany, and California. This is how Volvo works. The USDOT have always been reluctant to permit this, hoping for a radar control system. New stuff may make radar cheaper. You can get external rear fog lights on Euro E-bay. Small, non collectable ones were around $25 delivered a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
There are "canbus" compatible "no error" LEDs available, which are supposed to prevent "bulb out" warnings and hyper flashing.

I know the CANBUS cancels bulb out warnings, but does it cancel hyperflash?

I replaced my cargo bed and reverse lights in the truck. So happy with the results.

Sometimes you have to cross reference the bulbs and get a different shape or length as some LEDs are much longer.

Reverse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=yo_ii_bia_view?ie=UTF8&ac=bia&reorder_params=B00G2TV7OG%2C103-8226803-3464255

Cargo (didn't do third brake light)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ya/ref=yo_ii_bia_view?ie=UTF8&ac=bia&reorder_params=B00JIEX722%2C108-5931496-6569838

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
There are "canbus" compatible "no error" LEDs available, which are supposed to prevent "bulb out" warnings and hyper flashing.

Hyperflash (ricerflash) can be fixed with a solid state flasher unit such as those sold by SuperbrightLeds. Solid state flashers are not affected by load resistance.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hyperflash (ricerflash) can be fixed with a solid state flasher unit such as those sold by SuperbrightLeds. Solid state flashers are not affected by load resistance.
On some vehicles the computer manages the lights and there is no flasher unit. My 2015 F-250 is like this, I tried CANBUS lights, but had to have the dealer change the programming in the body control module to stop the hyperflashing. With the exception of my headlights, all interior and exterior lights are now LED.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
On some vehicles the computer manages the lights and there is no flasher unit. My 2015 F-250 is like this, I tried CANBUS lights, but had to have the dealer change the programming in the body control module to stop the hyperflashing. With the exception of my headlights, all interior and exterior lights are now LED.

On some vehicles its possible to snip the wires going to the module that controls the flashers and wire in a electronic flasher instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back