Honda CRX '91 transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys recently i did a clutch replacement on my honda crx ed9 and filled my trans with Honda Genuine MTF.
When filling it i saw the mtf was really thin, i don't know if this is good for an old trans (163k km- 100k mi)

What do you recommend in this case? Some 5w30 engine oil with friction additives or some other trans oil like Motul Gear 75w90?
-in my country i can't find amsoil or redline-

Thanks

Honda mtf is roughly 5w30. Pennzoil syncromesh from Autozone would be a step up. Don't use 75w90.

But if the trans is not having problems just leave it alone. Thick is not better.

welcome2.gif

Although is most likely perfectly ok to use, Honda MTF didn't exist in 1989. But Honda does say it can be used on all Honda manual transmissions.

You can use any 10w30 oil, and 10w30 was probably spec'd on most pre-96 Honda manuals. I'd use an HDEO; not sure what you can get down there though.

Originally Posted By: jhmed80
What do you recommend in this case?

Exactly what you put in it; it's great stuff.

My old '91 Integra's transmission (just about identical to yours) went over 400,000 miles, mostly on Honda MTF.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You can use any 10w30 oil, and 10w30 was probably spec'd on most pre-96 Honda manuals.

This is correct.

But that was API SF/SG grade, not the stuff you can get nowadays. Today's SN oil is NOT good for the OP's Honda transmission.

If it's shifting normal I wouldn't change it but if you want to know what's next up in viscosity look at Molakule's latest post currently it's post #3821548 - at 08/14/15 10:53 AM...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/6

Honda MTF is at B on his list , if you want thicker just look at C and D

I will paste them here just to help

Quote:
C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

welcome2.gif

Although is most likely perfectly ok to use, Honda MTF didn't exist in 1989. But Honda does say it can be used on all Honda manual transmissions.

You can use any 10w30 oil, and 10w30 was probably spec'd on most pre-96 Honda manuals. I'd use an HDEO; not sure what you can get down there though.

Motor oil is spec'd as a TEMPORARY fill. It says only use motor oil until propert MTF can be found.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it's shifting normal I wouldn't change it but if you want to know what's next up in viscosity look at Molakule's latest post currently it's post #3821548 - at 08/14/15 10:53 AM...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/6

Honda MTF is at B on his list , if you want thicker just look at C and D

I will paste them here just to help

Quote:
C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

O'Reilly carries the Valvoline MTF. Autozone and Advance have the Penz.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Motor oil is spec'd as a TEMPORARY fill. It says only use motor oil until propert MTF can be found.

Only since 1996 did Honda start using their own MTF. Prior to 1996, they used 10w30 all the time, not just temporary.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
But that was API SF/SG grade, not the stuff you can get nowadays. Today's SN oil is NOT good for the OP's Honda transmission.

HDEO will probably work, though. Motorcycle oil could probably be used, too, since many of them are SF/SG.

Honda mtf is roughly 5w30. Pennzoil syncromesh from Autozone would be a step up. Don't use 75w90.

Would like to pick your brain on its negatives ..... besides possibly hard shifting in cold.

You can use any 10w30 oil, and 10w30 was probably spec'd on most pre-96 Honda manuals.

This is correct.

Appreciate further comments why is that so ?
blush.gif

You may want to consider cold weather performance. Honda MTF 1 and Pennzoil Synchromesh performed fine in warmer temperatures, above 0C, but were stiff and notchy for me in colder winter months.

Honda MTF II works well year round for me. I do change it out every 20-25K miles. It is thin but I haven't had any issues.

At any rate it is cheap enough to experiment.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Would like to pick your brain on its negatives ..... besides possibly hard shifting in cold.

GL-5 eats synchros. Besides 10w30 is almost the same viscosity as 75w90.

I used Ac Delco 10-4014 synchromesh friction modified MTF in my 98 Honda Civic and it has been working great and shifts nice and smooth. I would give this a try in your CRX. It's expensive at about $15 a quart but I think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng

Appreciate further comments why is that so ?
blush.gif

Because the anti-wear additives that Honda was relying on were reduced drastically when OBD-II came along for 1995/96. Honda's MTF provides those additives.

I think SL was the last grade before the additives were reduced, and would be the newest that could be used long-term in Honda transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back