Sealant for threaded air hose fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name, or type of the sealant that comes pre-applied on some air hose fittings? Most of the time the sealant is either a reddish brown or burnt orange color. I have also seen the same color sealant on various automotive threaded parts. It's definitely not a pipe dope because that is a soft set. Would RectorSeal #5 or RectorSeal Tru-Blu be something similar? I have always had good luck with the already applied sealant, so I want to purchase some. Some times pipe thread, or pipe dope don't seal good enough especially on air hose fittings.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Whats wrong with a few wraps of teflon tape?

Works for me.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
What is the name, or type of the sealant that comes pre-applied on some air hose fittings?

Vibra-Tite

Air hose fittings made of brass does not need sealant. A pipe thread is a tapered sharp vee thread. It is intended to be a "dry seal thread".

That is, as it is made up, the taper and the sharp vee thread forms combine to make the threads self-sealing.

Always put a nipple into the un-used female threads in the branch of a tee when making it up. Similarly, put a nipple into the far end of any valves as you make them up. If you don;t and get to tightening, you could deform the tee or valve body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back