Got the air compressor - now what else do I need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a used 28 gallon air compressor and want to get it equipped to use around the garage and house.

I am now trying to make a list of items that I need to purchase so it can be ready to work. I don't expect to use it but maybe once every other week so don't need top of the line accessories. I plan on getting a 1/4" (or 3/8"?) 50 foot hose and have read enough that I will stay away from the low end PVC material but don't think I want the weight of rubber either. So that means poly or one of the hybrid materials for the hose but I'm open to suggestions.

To start off, I expect to paint my rusting iron porch railing so I am thinking about getting a Compact Air Needle Scaler and then a small detail paint gun, probably from HF (harbor freight).

I will need to get all of the fittings and that is what I don't understand. I probably will pay up for a good brand like Milton since it will not cost much more and hopefully they will perform better than some of the HF like items. However, I see there is M,V,and T style fittings? Which style should I go with ?

Milton V fittings. It is the least restrictive. Does the compressor have a drain, then put in some air and drain it. If its oil bath, then change the oil. Does it have an air filter/regulator? Try that out, the rubber in the regulator does not last forever.

For your use the HF pneumatic tools should be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Milton V fittings. It is the least restrictive. Does the compressor have a drain, then put in some air and drain it. If its oil bath, then change the oil. Does it have an air filter/regulator? Try that out, the rubber in the regulator does not last forever.

For your use the HF pneumatic tools should be fine.

I replaced the rusty drain plug with a new one and drained it. No air filter but I think it has a regulator - if that's the device that shuts it off at 120 psi - it has that.

Also it has a device to turn down and adjust the out put line pressure to 40, 50, 60 psi etc. so I guess that would be the regulator.

Maybe I should get a small water separator for the line to help keep the air line dry?

Last edited:
get 3/8" or 1/2" hose flexzilla is good.

Retractable is nice but not necessary

2015-03-19%2020.25.50.jpg

3/8" hose. Get the Milton V-style fittings. CarQuest should have them for fairly reasonable prices.

Also, build or buy a quality drain valve. I spent $20 on a pre-made one at HD. Works nicely for draining down the tank after I'm done.

For painting, a water separator near the tool is absolutely needed. Compressed air is about 100% humidity. For the non-painting tools, a drop or two of air tool oil before using them will make them last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back