DHS wants to force car owners to use OEM parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article -

Quote:
According to a Newspaper.com article, the NHTSA/EPA introduced a hidden proposal that would prohibit any changes to an automobile's engine or exhaust after it leaves the factory.

“The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emissions control systems on vehicles used on public roads” EPA spokeswoman Laura Allen said.

Oh darn, no more rolling coal.

I really agree with this, after market parts are not that great.

When an aftermarket part is "redesigned" by the brand(not by the OEM, which is most superior in most cases), it's not to make it better, but cheaper to build.

Here we are in a day when I thought I would *ever* buy a starter or alternator from a dealership, but here we are, I will always use OEM parts.

Aftermarket lacks quality, and lacks value.

I can name off a list of where OEM is better than aftermarket; starters, alternators, fuel pumps, wheel bearings, struts, glass, et.

I only buy aftermarket filters, batteries, lube, wiper blades, fuel additives, bulbs, etcetera.

Last edited:
For some things i like oem, for others aftermarket.
But if there is no aftermarket for competition pricing, what will happen to the oem parts prices?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
For some things i like oem, for others aftermarket.
But if there is no aftermarket for competition pricing, what will happen to the oem parts prices?

Should stay the same, they are already marked up, it might even make the parts cheaper since there will be more volume.

For example a OEM "service unit" that goes on a Mazda6, only has sold 400 units in 2 years. That is really low volume. The line that made the part is rated at 40 pcs. per hour, the rest of the time it is idle collecting dust, in the back of a factory.

Typical ten year service life needs extended also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

When an aftermarket part is "redesigned" by the brand(not by the OEM, which is most superior in most cases), it's not to make it better, but cheaper to build.

Here we are in a day when I thought I would *ever* buy a starter or alternator from a dealership, but here we are, I will always use OEM parts.

I can name off a list of where OEM is better than aftermarket; starters, alternators, fuel pumps, wheel bearings, struts, glass, et.

I only buy aftermarket filters, batteries, lube, wiper blades, fuel additives, bulbs, etcetera.

The prices of many OEM parts are nothing short of ridiculous. If you want to go buy a power steering pump for $800, brake booster for $1300, alternator for $700-900, etc, etc, God Bless You.

This becomes even more ridiculous once a vehicle is older.

I buy 34 vehicles worth of aftermarket parts and have not experienced the plague of quality issues you are insinuating exist.

Granted, there are times when I prefer OEM over aftermarket, but to do that all of the time? Absolutely not. I was recently quoted $1800 for an A/C compressor by OEM. That's plain insanity.

And what happens when the OEM decides to drop parts support? What do people do then?

What about the poor inventory?

OEM only is a fantasy.

I'm okay with this as well, annoying exhaust modifications, people driving around with loud cars, that are VERY VERY slow compared to the noise they make.

ok well lets shut down autozone, oreilly's, napa, advance auto and all those other deplorable knockoff stores of ill repute.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

The prices of many OEM parts are nothing short of ridiculous. If you want to go buy a power steering pump for $800, brake booster for $1300, alternator for $700-900, etc, etc, God Bless You.

This becomes even more ridiculous once a vehicle is older.

I buy 34 vehicles worth of aftermarket parts and have not experienced the plague of quality issues you are insinuating exist.

Granted, there are times when I prefer OEM over aftermarket, but to do that all of the time? Absolutely not. I was recently quoted $1800 for an A/C compressor by OEM. That's plain insanity.

And what happens when the OEM decides to drop parts support? What do people do then?

What about the poor inventory?

OEM only is a fantasy.

I would be SOL if there was no aftermarket parts for my 92 Oldsmobile and my 90 Volvo. And some times after market parts are superior to OEM, and that is a fact.

The only aftermarket parts worth buying are wear items (brakes, tires, filters, etc), exhaust/mufflers, and high performance items (eg Bilstein shocks, Borla exhaust), and when the OEM part has a faulty design/recall.

Rebuildable/reman items may also qualify, since even the dealers/automakers don't do their own rebuilding (for example, a "factory rebuilt" CV axle at the Toyota dealer will most likely be a Cardone or other reman).

Items that contain no moving parts and are one piece are usually not a problem, either.

Aftermarket parts from companies that supply OEM's and automakers are fine. For example, Monroe and KYB shocks, Denso oxygen sensors, Deeza chassis parts, and Walker mufflers and cats are decent quality. Even though Monroe might not make the OEM shocks for a 20-yo Nissan Maxima, they do make OEM shocks for other cars such as Volvo and GM.

But the cheap Chinese parts flooding the aftermarket in the past 5 years or so, yeah, that [censored] needs to go.

The motive is to target performance applications. The fanatics within the EPA can't sleep at night knowing only 99.9% of vehicles on the road are complying with their emissions standards.

Honda OEM uses many parts from countries throughout the world. I have seen Genuine Honda parts from China, Thailand, and Taiwan.

While aftermarket parts made in these countries usually scare the daylights out of me, the Genuine Honda parts I've used from foreign countries have serviced me well. I believe quality control is the key to a quality part no matter where the part is made.

It has always been illegal to modify a car in a way that increases its emissions. I like that rule. I don't want to have to breathe your [censored] pollution.
Aftermarket parts that do not affect emissions are legal and will continue to be.

Originally Posted By: mk378
It has always been illegal to modify a car in a way that increases its emissions. I like that rule. I don't want to have to breathe your [censored] pollution.
Aftermarket parts that do not affect emissions are legal and will continue to be.

Exactly. My understanding that the meaning of OEM in this context is a part that matches the specs of the OEM part; not that the part needs to be manufactured by the OEM.

That's a troll article if one ever existed.

I think two of the posters above read it and understood it for the nonsense it is; the OP was not one of them.

Shameful.

So it sounds like you want to decide for yourself what OEM and aftermarket parts you will buy based on your idea which are better, but you don't think I can decide for myself which parts are better for me? How does that work? Are you basing your choices on hard data of failure rates of parts or is it more an impression you have?

Should stay the same, they are already marked up, it might even make the parts cheaper since there will be more volume.

Seriously? That's like saying the cable TV suppliers would lower their monthly bills if more people signed up.
Okay, one other scenario: Where would you buy a part that has been discontinued by the OEM? I've seen parts that have been discontinued by the factory only 10 years after the part had been installed on the assembly line.
The only thing keeping some of the OEM parts in line is the fact that a replacement could be purchased through the aftermarket, even if it is a fraction of the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back