How to do a clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.
of win-7 after formating the HD?

My laptop is going on 7 years old, and has been having odd problems for a couple of years now. Last year it had a series of BSOD. I thought I had it cleaned up, but I just got another BSOD today. The error code points to some sort of device driver problem. Long story short, I'm going yo have to format the HD and do a clean install. Is there a tool that I can use to save all my apps, or will I have to manually reinstall all of them?

TIA

Write them down, back up the valuable stuff (documents, photos, videos).

Once done throw your CD in, restart the pc spam the F12 (or delete) depending on the PC brand.

When you get into BIOS set the system to boot from CD drive save and exit.

Once done go there the install settings on the Windows disk. When prompt to repair or format click the format. It will give you a warning saying it will wipe the drive. Enter your Windows key, reinstall your chipset drivers once the PC has formated the drive and your into Windows.

Restart the PC spam F12 or delete again then set BIOS to boot from hard drive. Might as well check to make sure your ram is running at the correct frequency as it typically will default to the lowest freqency.

Not all BSOD are caused by Windows. It can be incompatible programs or drivers as well.

Probably a hard drive going bad, you'll find out quickly on the new install if it's still acting up. Would he a good time to jump on the ssd bandwagon, Samsung 850 Evo are top bang for your buck, the Samsung 850 pro are the top ones if money is no object

It could be a physical problem w/ the HD, or just software/driver conflicts. That happens on old computers where you've installed lots of software over the years.

Run chkdsk to see if there are bad sectors. If there are a lot, I would buy a new computer.

Maybe a failing/failed RAM card? Screen lock ups and BSOD plagued me on and off for months on Windows 7 until I finally figured out it was a failed memory card (run MemTest86 or something similar). Running BIOS and CheckDisk got me in the right direction.

Yes you have two tools for that job...

1st...more disk friendly...mini tool partition wizzard...just do surface wipe.. And fill disk wit zeros...and after that check your disk for bad sectors (with the same tool)

2) more agressive.... www.dban.org

You could mount both tools or on usb device via "usb boot tools" ie rufus or win to flash...

Or simply burn them on CD...

Last edited:
And you can get both tools for free...just Google them...

Watch at partition wizzard that you choose right version of the tool (32/64 bit)

I put an SSD in more then a year ago because of what I suspected was a failing HD. I'm thinking this is all connected somehow.

I don't have chip set drivers. I need to find out how to get them.

I hadn't thought of a memory chip problem. better check that first.

I tried to backup the HD yesterday with macrium reflect, I let it update, afterward It wouldn't work, just locked up.

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I put an SSD in more then a year ago because of what I suspected was a failing HD. I'm thinking this is all connected somehow.

Check that with partition wizzard.....

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I don't have chip set drivers. I need to find out how to get them.

Try to download or "Driver genius" or "Driver booster"......IF is possible...cracked (Dunno if that is legal in your country)
smile.gif

I use to reboot to DOS. Rename the windows directory and reinstall. I think my Win 7 install does this though by itself as there is always some Old Win directory laying around and is hard to get rid of.

I do a clean install every couple of years. It's been one of the best things to do to improve performance for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back