Can Am Spyder calls for Glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably DexCool if it's orange. Prestone DexCool at Walmart is an ethylene glycol OAT coolant developed for GM products. It has had its problems so do some research. Folks over on the Toyota Nation forum call it "Death-Cool.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Probably DexCool if it's orange. Prestone DexCool at Walmart is an ethylene glycol OAT coolant developed for GM products. It has had its problems so do some research. Folks over on the Toyota Nation forum call it "Death-Cool.

It has had its problems.... which have been thoroughly researched, discussed, and resolved.

It just says "50/50 glycol"? Nothing about ethylene, propylene, color, brand? It doesn't tell you that your transmission will blow and your wife will leave you if you don't use Can-Am Genuine Super Duper Coolant Fluid Water?

I can't find any good info on Google, so I'd be tempted to go to the dealer and read the fine print on their $40/gallon coolant to get some concrete information.

They don't give you much information about what coolant to use because they want to sell you their OEM overpriced product. If it's orange, it's most likely DexCool. I have never seen an orange colored coolant that wasn't DexCool but I haven't seen them all. If it walks like a duck.............

I would completely flush and switch to GO5. But I admit I'm convinced DexCool in anything is a ticking time bomb. I would NOT go with BRP coolant for the simple fact that BRP doesn't seem to have a clue about the proper products for their vehicles. As well, I haven't missed spyderlovers for the last three years, since I dumped that place and their "experts". You've seen it TC, 5w40 in a shear machine, and a switch to a different coolant in 14 "because people didn't change their coolant". Baloney.

Last edited:
Are we to assume you are talking about a vintage Can AM racing car? If that is the case you will be running what the historic racing association governing your activities tells you you can run. Likely no glycol of any kind as it is extremely slippery when leaked onto the track. Completely verboten on west coast. You can use plain water or the red stuff mixed with clean or distilled water.

Originally Posted By: willyreid
Are we to assume you are talking about a vintage Can AM racing car? If that is the case you will be running what the historic racing association governing your activities tells you you can run. Likely no glycol of any kind as it is extremely slippery when leaked onto the track. Completely verboten on west coast. You can use plain water or the red stuff mixed with clean or distilled water.

My first thought as well, but I think he means either a side-by-side or one of those 3 wheel motorcycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back