It's winter, let's take out the... Motorcycle???

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Coming home from work tonight, we got a bit of a freak blizzard. Visibility was poor and about 1" accumulated in no time flat. I had to head over to another part of town after stopping at the house to grab my daughter and as we pulled up to a stop sign at one of the one way streets, I glanced down the grade of the road and there, into the curb, in the snow, was a sport bike
crazy2.gif
He was unable to get up the hill or get the bike to go forward (it wanted to go sideways) under its own power. I had to do a bit of a double-take, I hadn't seen anything other than the odd idiot on an E-bike holding up traffic and wishing for death all winter, but they are usually cracked out druggies heading to or from the methadone clinics so no surprise there. This however, was a full-on (and full-sized) sport bike. Bizarre!!
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, that sounds bad. Isn't it like -60 there at the moment?
Its going down to -27 celcius tonight. -60 is something only seen in the far north/arctic areas.

Obviously you must be mistaken, I quite recently had an American on here tell me that CCS and MRV were irrelevant because it didn't get that cold in Canada
wink.gif

Not -60, I think some parts of Ontario and Manitoba are supposed to hit -40C though. Where I am will apparently be kissing -30C (CCS limit for 5w-30) over the weekend, so not as bad as these other parts, not even close.

The -50C temperature being mentioned in some places includes Wind Chill.

I had to get to work.
Car wouldn't start. Remembered bike, which did start.
Took bike to work.
Bad time trying to get home.
Must get new battery for car.
Bear in mind that with the right clothing, cold weather is no big deal.
A Japanese sport bike on typical tires is a death wish to ride in any kind of frozen precip, though.
Hope that the rider made it home safely.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Riding in 32f weather is one thing, but riding in -22f weather is a different ball of wax, imo. At speed, this is brutal.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Riding in 32f weather is one thing, but riding in -22f weather is a different ball of wax, imo. At speed, this is brutal.

Depends upon how desperate you are to get somewhere as well as how far you have to go.
Real cold for ten miles might be okay, after that probably really bad.

I don't even have the S2000 top down when we have(rarely) temperature below 60F during the day. Riding a bike below 65-70F is just too crazy.

Got home.. 5 min later had 30mph wind freak blizzard here earlier.

Then 15min later just wind.. now blizzarding again.

Sorta wished it had hit 10min earlier to try out the blizzaks, but I only would like that if no one else on the road.

Too many bald tire idiots out around here.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't even have the S2000 top down when we have(rarely) temperature below 60F during the day. Riding a bike below 65-70F is just too crazy.

I like cruising with the top down in cold weather. Its exhilarating. Turn on the heated seats, heater blasting and down comforter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It got to 80F here today
laugh.gif

I know Texas. I've spent a lot of time there. I'd rather be here looking at the ocean freezing my butt than watching dirt blow around. But by all means enjoy the heat.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Coming home from work tonight, we got a bit of a freak blizzard. Visibility was poor and about 1" accumulated in no time flat. I had to head over to another part of town after stopping at the house to grab my daughter and as we pulled up to a stop sign at one of the one way streets, I glanced down the grade of the road and there, into the curb, in the snow, was a sport bike
crazy2.gif
He was unable to get up the hill or get the bike to go forward (it wanted to go sideways) under its own power. I had to do a bit of a double-take, I hadn't seen anything other than the odd idiot on an E-bike holding up traffic and wishing for death all winter, but they are usually cracked out druggies heading to or from the methadone clinics so no surprise there. This however, was a full-on (and full-sized) sport bike. Bizarre!!
shocked.gif

GHT sighting?
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Its going down to -27 celcius tonight. -60 is something only seen in the far north/arctic areas.

You should come to Saskatchewan, we'll show you those temps (with windchill) are possibly outside the far north/arctic areas

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

You should come to Saskatchewan, we'll show you those temps (with windchill) are possibly outside the far north/arctic areas

Indeed. Those Arctic winds have a tendency to swing on down out of there and bring along the weather.

Its 3 degrees here tonight I can only imagine what its like there. On the other hand I am a snowmobiler and I have ridden with -35 with wind chill and -15 without wind chill so if youre dressed right it would be ok aside from the going sideways and such. Lol

Nw IN in 60's guy in town used to put a side wheel on back and saw him many times with lots of snow on road. Heated suits and gloves make modern dedication much easier as far as cold. They used to ice race up there back then, too.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I'm good down to about 45 with thermal gloves and the liner in my jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back