post your latest transmission lubricant change.

1999 Jeep Cherokee w/ AW4 auto trans
Drained it 4 times, refilled with Castrol Trasnmax Dex/merc & Carquest D/M cause the store ran out. Only about 10,000 miles on this fill but it was getting dirty looking. Oversized tires might be cooking it, as well as blasting up into mountain passes constantly.

178,000 and counting!

05 Chevy Express 3500 with 4L80E

In and out Maxlife .. 15k.. probably a waste time. Should just let the transmission go and plan to replace it.

Also PS in and out a mixture of Maxlife and Merc V.

2009 F150 FX4 5.4 3V 6R80 114,000 miles

Out: original Mercon LV and original filter
In: Merclon LV (around 5.5 quarts) and new Motorcraft filter.

This represents around a 40% change and it shifts 100 times better. Ford recommending lubed for life is nuts. The 6R80 lacks a conventional dipstick. I plan on just sucking 4 quarts out and replacing it 2-3 more times over the course of the coming months. Then I will do an annual 4 quart change. I had planned on using MaxLife but my dealer sold me Mercon LV for $4.63 a quart.

Also drained/filled my transfer case with Motorcraft XL-12 fluid.

2011 Honda Accord, 95k

Prior history: one drain and refill at 56k, one drain and refill at 67k. Both were done using Honda ATF-DW1.

Old fluid during the first drain:
Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

The fluid was starting to look pretty nasty so I suggested a complete fluid change. The unit holds 6.9 quarts and I removed about 3.25 qt with each drain/refill. I did 3 drain/refills total. For the fluid, I used Honda ATF DW-1.

Last edited:
2002 Crown Victoria 173900mi
Out: 4 quarts Kendall and Castrol Mercon V.
In: Schaeffer's 204SAT with 10k miles that I drained from my wrecked 2004 Crown Victoria.

Noticed immediate improvement. The 204SAT is unmatched in Ford 4R70 transmissions. Want to get another 4 or 5 quarts and change it again. The OD application was especially improved with less sag.

Last week:

Mother-in-law's 2009 Civic with 17,000 original miles.

Out with the OEM; in with Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF.

And new Honda P/S and brake fluid, too.

And running Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 for those annual 2.7k OCIs.

Not a waste, either. I look at it as good insurance all around.

95 suburban 4l80e nv241 142000 miles

Transmission
Out slightly dark something
In max life dex and pioneer filter

Transfer case
Out not a lot of something dark and nasty. it wasn't milky but the drain plug looked like it had moisture on it.
In max life dex

Front axle
Out dark gear oil
In 80w-90 super tech

I bought the vehicle 2000 miles ago. Lots of issues had been covered up. Looks like the fluids have been changed at some point though.

Last edited:
2000 Honda Accord

Update: Seafoam Trans Tune; 4oz in a 6.4 qt capacity transmission. Drove about 200 miles over 7 days. Transmission performance improved nicely. Cooler line flushed with 6 qts of Valvoline Maxlife. Very well please.

07 Mazda5 138k miles.
I did 1x drain and refill with 2 quarts of my old Pennzoil multi vehicle atf mixed with a quart of maxlife.

146250 04 Escape

Out: Not sure, maybe a mixture of Mobil Synthethic and Mec v

In: Maxlife

44k on this run was trying for 50k. Got dark and noticed a change in the shifting lately.

Changed the wix inline filter. Could have over 100k on it!

1x drain and refill on the 08 RDX

Out: 3.75 qts of ??? I guess DW-1 because the car was dealer-serviced before I got it

In: 3.75 qts DW-1

Pretty remarkable how much better the shifts felt after this.

2002 Lexus GS300

Put it up on ramps, drain and refill 4qt of Castrol Full Synthetic ATF from the AAP sale. Might repeat a couple more times over the next couple of months.

New to me 2002 Toyota 4runner Sport, 170,000 miles
Drain and fill
Out: A nasty, dark brown concoction that may have been original fluid.
In: Valvoline MaxLife
It only spit out about 2.25qts, so I will do it again in about 500miles and then after another 500.

2003 Ford Focus, 4F27E automatic
180,xxx miles
This car gets a cooling line drain/fill every 30,000 miles. 8 quarts does the job.
Out: Castrol Mercon V
In: Castrol Mercon V

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
2002 Crown Victoria 173900mi
Out: 4 quarts Kendall and Castrol Mercon V.
In: Schaeffer's 204SAT with 10k miles that I drained from my wrecked 2004 Crown Victoria.

Noticed immediate improvement. The 204SAT is unmatched in Ford 4R70 transmissions. Want to get another 4 or 5 quarts and change it again. The OD application was especially improved with less sag.

Did a second change out to the 204SAT today, another 5 quarts. This time, it was fresh, new fluid. Mileage is 175,100.

2004 E-150.
Out: Valvoline Mercon V, Driveworks filter.
In: Mobil 1 ATF, Driveworks filter, Lubegard red, I drop the pan every 25K.

Back