I HAD to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago there was a thread that contained a statement of advice supposedly posted by a GM engineer. Supposedly...

In it, spelling, punctuation, and diction was butchered.

Of course I don't remember all the content, but it said things such as "use a certain wate of oil" and such.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
"Its" is misspelled more often than it's spelled correctly.

Yes, like ^A pig with a rocket in it's [censored]...^

This should be a sticky on the whole dang internet.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: geekster
is it grey or gray?

I love "grey," it seems so much more, well, grayish. But "grey" is the British spelling, "gray" the American. Both have become last names.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
10 words you need to stop misspelling

I especially liked that they qualified their distinction between "effect" and "affect" by saying, "Most of the time, 'effect' is a noun and 'affect' is a verb." True. You can write, "He effected his escape" (verb) and be correct. And if you're a psychiatrist, you can say of a patient, "He has blunted affect" (noun, meaning emotional response). But the former doesn't show up much any more; we tend to write, "He made his escape." And the latter is a specialized jargon usage.

Those emails I get telling me about the millions waiting in some third world h..lhole for me all have SUCH good grammer.

Apparently you're not a profanity nazi.

Spelling doesn't bother me as much as someone who doesn't understand 6th grade science.

And it's usually people who are anal about spelling

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Those emails I get telling me about the millions waiting in some third world h..lhole for me all have SUCH good grammer.

Not to mention the phishing attempts I continually receive warning me that my email account at work is overloaded and I should click to re-enter my ID and password. Hmph.

20 yrs of schooling and they'll put you on the day shift. I used to bristle at posts criticizing my grammar. Laziness on my part. My Dad had 3 education degrees from Harvard and Mum was a teacher. My primary school teachers taught us better than to misspell. A minder at the E 28 forum is quick to point out grammatical faux pas. No sweat, Ramblin Wreck,, I wasn't raised by wolves either. Other boards don't like profanity. This all helps me remove the mold from my soul in my campaign to let light and air into my life. I salute the grammarians!
grin2.gif

Another reason for good grammar is that it communicates with less ambiguity. The more precisely you ask a question, the more likely you are to get a precise answer. Profanity is useless verbiage.

Last edited:
Oh, I just thought of another. When people say "would of" instead of "would have." If they looked up the word "of" in the dictionary, maybe they would realize that saying "would of" or "should of" doesn't make any sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back