I'll never remove my trailer hitch again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: expat
Some years ago I witnessed an elderly lady in a parking lot walk into a trailer hitch and gash her leg. The cut was quite bad.

I guess she was walking behind the parked vehicles, the truck was sticking out more than others. She said she was watching for passing traffic when she walked into the hitch.

I helped her into a nearby store and the store manager called an ambulance.

The store manager also asked for my name and phone #, just in case.

I did later get a phone call from ICBC our province motor vehicle insurance company. I guess there may have been a claim or charges against the truck owner.

That's a sad commentary on the lack of morals of our society that someone would sue another person because of their inability to watch their surroundings. But it isn't surprising.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Read my original post one more time, because you're obviously having some difficulty in comprehension here:

"If leaving the hitch in obscures the plate, one can reasonably articulate that to be in violation of state law, and a class D traffic violation."

Most of the time, it's a non-factor. However, it can be, hence the qualifier.
I will if you reread my post because the comprehension difficulty appears to be a mutual issue. Look for the keywords "Except" and "usually" and especially the last sentence where I don't claim an absolute either.

Or you can move along. I've made my point so I won't be back to this part of the thread.

"Your point" added nothing of value; I already stated that it were an issue only if the ball or mount were to obstruct the license plate.

There's a guy at my work who leaves his hitch in all the time, and his truck looks like this:
sshh1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: expat
Some years ago I witnessed an elderly lady in a parking lot walk into a trailer hitch and gash her leg. The cut was quite bad.

I guess she was walking behind the parked vehicles, the truck was sticking out more than others. She said she was watching for passing traffic when she walked into the hitch.

I helped her into a nearby store and the store manager called an ambulance.

The store manager also asked for my name and phone #, just in case.

I did later get a phone call from ICBC our province motor vehicle insurance company. I guess there may have been a claim or charges against the truck owner.

That's a sad commentary on the lack of morals of our society that someone would sue another person because of their inability to watch their surroundings. But it isn't surprising.

To be honest, I don't know what the result was. Or if the truck owner was sued (unlikely I think)

My guess would be, the owner gets a call from the police informing them of the accident, and gets a warning about 'dangerous parts' and maybe have to present the truck for inspection.

The thing is, the LAW mandates that motor vehicle manufacturers comply with certain safety standards that help protect people weather pedestrians or other road users.
If an owner makes changes to a vehicle that negates those safety features, then they leave themselves open to the possibility of litigation in the result of an accident.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Some places it's actually illegal to leave your hitch insert in place if not towing a trailer.

Should be everywhere, it's a hazard.

For whom?

I'm not a fan of laws just to "control" people. I don't leave my hitch in, but I stand by those who do.

What bugs me is when those people leave the hitches in, then back into a parking spot and then let the drawbar go well into the sidewalk area. Not that I see it all the time, but it always sticks way out to me.

I take mine out when I'm not towing. I've banged my own shin on it, so why leave it for others to bang their shins? Also had to remove one once that was left in; it rusted in place and took lots of "persuasion".

My former BIL had somebody collide with his hitch, and the driver called the police on him, insisting it was his fault she hit his trailer hitch which was sticking out. The cop motioned him over, and said "we'll pretend to talk like I'm lecturing you to placate her, but really, it's her own silly fault and you're off the hook". I'd still rather not deal with someone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back