Dumped the smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious though I really did not see much proof but another opinion piece to validate the writers choice. Sounds like a recovering addict saying who booze was not worth it.

Happy smartphone user here who has no social media apps installed on it.....

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Curious though I really did not see much proof but another opinion piece.

Happy smartphone user here who has no social media apps installed on it.....

Proof of what?

It's just one guy relating his own experiences with getting rid of his smartphone.

It's odd though that anybody would think that these phones haven't caused all kinds of issues...the proof is available to look up.

Wait until it's proven that cell phones cause harm to your bodily tissues.

For me, just a $100/yr dumb/flip top cell phone and a $100/yr land line. The land line is far more reliable than the dumb cell phone which needs a nearby tower to work well. It's surprising how often you lose reception not far from home. I can do all the internet stuff I want to when I'm home to use my desktop. When I'm out and about that's my time...and worth the extra effort to pay attention to driving and not electronic devices.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Proof of what?

It's just one guy relating his own experiences with getting rid of his smartphone.

It's odd though that anybody would think that these phones haven't caused all kinds of issues...the proof is available to look up.

You stated in your own post:
Quote:
This guy proves we don't need these things....even if they are convenient for some.

Back in my day you picked up the phone and asked the operator, her name was Henrietta, to put you threw to the constable when your horse was stolen.

Now these here kids have these fancy phones and it confuses me and scares me.

Last edited:
You all say you are the minority not on phones or not in public with them.. reality is.. some of you are liars.. lol. I have one and rather learn stuff or provide advice on this forum than talk or stare at people in a mall or whereever I am.. people arent the same today.. if I put my phone down, it wont make people arent me more sociable.. (sad but is reality). I have 2 cells, work and play.. work is left behind after im done for day.. personal is close so when the so watches reality tv, I spend my time pretty much on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Proof of what?

You stated in your own post:
Quote:
This guy proves we don't need these things....even if they are convenient for some.

Doh! I didn't even recall saying that...but you are right.

But I really didn't intend the word "proof" to be taken literally. I should have said it is evident that not everybody needs the use of one. And I think from his article, this really is "proof"...at least for his life.

What about taking photos of grand children birthdays, a family trip to Wendy's for a frosty , grandkids in the Halloween costumes, ...etc.... ?

Those are Polaroid photo moments you must capture.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You all say you are the minority not on phones or not in public with them.. reality is.. some of you are liars.. lol. I have one and rather learn stuff or provide advice on this forum than talk or stare at people in a mall or whereever I am.. people arent the same today.. if I put my phone down, it wont make people arent me more sociable.. (sad but is reality). I have 2 cells, work and play.. work is left behind after im done for day.. personal is close so when the so watches [censored] tv, I spend my time pretty much on BITOG.

I own a cheapy flip phone. My plan is a pay as you go Tracfone. I carry my phone with me once in a while...but even then it is off most of the time. It has extremely limited use for anything other than taking calls. Thankfully, my work does not require one.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What about taking photos of grand children birthdays, a family trip to Wendy's for a frosty , grandkids in the Halloween costumes, ...etc.... ?

Those are Polaroid photo moments you must capture.

I carry a much higher resolution and photo-capable digital zoom camera. Even the top of the line smartphone cameras aren't nearly as good....but yes, they are useful if you don't mind the annoyance of what comes with carrying a phone all the time.

Nobody forces anyone to use all the features of their smartphone.

Me, I'd rather not go back to the days of carrying a beeper for work and some quarters to make the phone call in when I was on call or doing construction inspection, a map book to get me into places I hadn't been before, a camera to take pictures (that I wouldn't get back till I physically developed them somewhere and couldn't share with coworkers till that was done), and then catch up on all the phone messages that had piled in while I was away from my desk. A day planner to keep track of my appointments, and contact lists and business card sheets to keep the numbers I needed at hand.

Don't want to use the social features of the smartphone? Don't. Nobody (and I mean nobody) forces anyone to use social media. Dismissing all the other things it brings to the table for legitimate purposes on the other hand...

You can't and won't make me go back.

Mine is fine...I have one...but quite often I doing other stuff, but I tend to use my computer more than my phone.

Nice to have when I do need it though!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Nice to have when I do need it though!

You said it! It's amazing what a powerful tool a smart phone is. Literally you would have to carry around dozens of standalone devices and you still wouldn't have all the functionality a smartphone has. It's without a doubt the most amazing piece of consumer electronics technology to come along in my lifetime.

I carry a flip-phone because i just don't need a smartphone. However its great that so many people do. If while carrying a concealed gun, a slight bulge is visible at my side, most people assume its a smart phone, so much easier to carry without much attention.

Social features? Never use them other than maybe a group text to organize something.

When I'm in line looking at my phone, I'm reading the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Apple news feed, or the BBC news feed. Or checking what the market is doing.

Some of us like to keep abreast of whats happening in the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: opus1
Like any tool the smartphone is not to blame as much as the tool using the tool.
grin.gif

I have one, finally tossed my Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone due to terrible coverage when I needed it during a family crisis. I priced a "dumb" phone from the major carriers vs. a smart one and found that the cost was more, but not outrageous when you factor in it replaced my home internet connection as well. It's handy to have when traveling for things like boarding passes, finding quick directions and so forth.

Could I live without it? Yes, other than needing some sort of reliable phone for my family's needs. It's nice to have, though, and I'm not one of those zombies you see walking down the street, oblivious to everything going on around me.

Exactly. Newsflash to people, one can have useful devices and not be some imbecile glued to it, and ignoring society and family sitting right next to you. If one's best attempt to prevent this is to throw the tool away, perhaps it says something about their mental state and ability to interact socially... Not the device's fault.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Social features? Never use them other than maybe a group text to organize something.

When I'm in line looking at my phone, I'm reading the Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Apple news feed, or the BBC news feed. Or checking what the market is doing.

Some of us like to keep abreast of whats happening in the world.

Yep. Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back