Toyota Cartridge Removal Tool - Recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cduarte119
I have a '16 Tundra V8 and I purchased a oil filter wrench from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $10. It is made of solid steel and has the teeth required for the cartridge housing, I've only used it once so far but didn't have any issues taking the housing off. I'm not sure if the same size wrench fits all engine sizes but here's the link: Toyota filter wrench

You can also find that Motix filter wrench on Amazon for about $25.

Hope this helps.

I ordered mine at O'Reiley's as well, and it is a very good quality wrench. My Fusion takes a cartridge filter.

Toyota lists 09228 06500 02 or 09228 06501

09228 06500 02 Toyota brand part does not have grooves for flutes.
http://www.toyotapart.com/09228-06500-02.html

I believe 09228 06501 is Assenmacher Toy640. Does not have grooves for flutes.
http://www.asttool.com/detail_page.php?f...keywords=toy640

Have used OEM brand 25412. Does not have grooves for flutes. Used to be cheaper.
http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-...-toyota/978119/

Lots of grooved ones listed on ebay. Have not used any of these. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=oem...ch&_sacat=0

Note torque spec 25+/- N*n (18+/-3.7 ft*lbf). I am sure everyone's arm can sense perfectly any torque spec and would never overtighten. At the same time, everyone seems to have found a too tight oil filter sometime. See Toyota service bulletin.

http://www.toyotapart.com/OIL_FILTER_CAP_ASSEMBLY_PRECAUTIONS_T-SB-0104-09.pdf

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Look into the Assenmacher brand. Ive had good luck with them on an mb engine.

Assenmacher oil filter cap wrench is very good, I think it's one of the best.

I have unknown brand oil filter cap for my E430 for more than 10 years, it still is working very well as of last oil change couple months ago. As long as the cap isn't too tight any cap wrench should work almost forever.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
As long as the cap isn't too tight any cap wrench should work almost forever.

Yeah, thats the issue. My dealer must have hired Hercules to tighten the caps. The plastic cap wrench i got from a local auto part store just kept on spinning.

I question if 18 ft-lb is overkill. With the drag that the oring imparts I cannot see the housing backing out on its own.

I always wanted to, but never did, for obvious reasons, tighten fully then back off one turn. Just to see if it would move. My Jetta had the same setup but mounted up top, so it have been easy to monitor.

Between the oring and the composite housing, I just don't see it needing anything to stay in place--its better than a metal drain plug that does nothing but stop up a hole. Yet just like those I guess some see the temptation too high to gorilla on it.

On my Tundra some monkey cranked down on the drain part, so now I can just remove by using the 3/8 drive. I like that, but I know it could be easily stripped if I overtighten--not an issue for me, of course.

Thanks guys. The Assenmacher one does not always work because it will slip on the cap if the cap has been way over tightened. Assenmacher designed their tool in a way where the cap does not contact the tabs, so it does not have a strong grip on the housing.

I found some from Matco - TOY110a and TOY112a. They seemed to be priced affordable and are able to grip the tabs.

When we bought our Matrix the previous oil change had been by a Jiffy lube. We had great trouble getting the filter cover off.

In the end I had to epoxy the tool onto the cover. It required 125-150 ft lbs to get the thing loose.

The tool is still stuck in the cover, now been there for 4 years. No reason to remove it.

Originally Posted By: cduarte119
I have a '16 Tundra V8 and I purchased a oil filter wrench from O'Reilly Auto Parts for $10. It is made of solid steel and has the teeth required for the cartridge housing, I've only used it once so far but didn't have any issues taking the housing off. I'm not sure if the same size wrench fits all engine sizes but here's the link: Toyota filter wrench

You can also find that Motix filter wrench on Amazon for about $25.

Hope this helps.

+1 for O'Reilly's. I bought mine there for my Fusion cartridge. Nice tool and reasonable cost.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Just curious about you needing the wrench when you're dealing with caps put on by oil rack guys somewhere? You're taking turns on the oil changes?

I bought one of the metal tools for our Rav4 cartridge cap.

I need to use it each time to get the cap off. It gets pretty tight there is no way you could get it off by hand.

The only problem I have with the tool is that there is no relief valve to separate the cap from the tool when you get it off. I have a little trouble getting the two pieces apart.

I have this same problem! The tool works great for getting the cartridge off...but man I struggle getting the cartridge and tool separated after it's off.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Originally Posted By: badger05
Just curious about you needing the wrench when you're dealing with caps put on by oil rack guys somewhere? You're taking turns on the oil changes?

I need to use it each time to get the cap off. It gets pretty tight there is no way you could get it off by hand.

The only problem I have with the tool is that there is no relief valve to separate the cap from the tool when you get it off. I have a little trouble getting the two pieces apart.

I have this same problem! The tool works great for getting the cartridge off...but man I struggle getting the cartridge and tool separated after it's off.

Leave the tool on the cartridge housing. Glue it on.

My Assennacher TOY640 works fine on my Lexus that has an aluminum filter housing. Had a friend come by for an oil change, and the Toyota plastic housing was on there just way too tight. I did not want to damage it, so I started looking for filter wrenches with slots. There are some that were not discussed in this thread, so here goes.

CTA Tools 2475 extra heavy duty forged 6140 steel made in Taiwan. I ordered one for my toolbox. Yes it's expensive, but I think it's going to be the one that can withstand a 1/2 breaker bar if need be.

CZ Industries INC available on Ebay. These are custom made in the USA by what looks to be a legitimate shop in Michigan. Constructed of 100% 6061-T6 billet aircraft aluminum. Was going to buy this one, but chose the forged steel over the forged aluminum. CZ Industries INC Lexus/Toyota/Scion oil filter wrench.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: badger05

Leave the tool on the cartridge housing. Glue it on.

You might get (un)lucky and it'll stay on anyhow. Went to do an oil change on my Camry, and spent an hour swearing and tearing up my basement, looking for this tool. Finally, dawned on me that the last place I *knew* it had been was... being used on my Tundra. Sure enough, still attached to the housing. I hadn't driven it very far, but still. It likes to hang up on the plastic housings.

Buy a replacement steel cap, then you can use a rubber strap or 3/8 socket to eliminate the worry of the plastic cap not being tough enough.

The SPX/OTC one from the dealer SST catalog is the best hands down. Been using mine since 2007 everyday at the dealer until 2016 never broke a plastic or metal filter housing or damaged on either. Lifetime warranty.

Got the CTA Tools 2475 extra heavy duty cap wrench yesterday, and I am impressed with the quality. It is heavy, and the chrome finish on it is very good. A 1/2 drive ratchet will stay attached to the wrench because it has detent pin divots.

My cast aluminum Assenmacher TOY640 weighs 4.8 ounces, and the CTA 2475 forged steel weighs in at 11.5 ounces. They were both weighed on accurate postal scales.

If you get bored while the oil is draining, the wrench does have a nice ring to it when it's tapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back