What happened to the thin oil movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG's favourite oils are now PYB 10W30 and M1 0W40. Not many people are citing Dr. Haas and are instead saying to follow the owner's manual. People are arguing with CATERHAM rather than agreeing with him. People are saying thicker oil is better. What happened to the thin oil movement? Was there ever a thin oil movement?

Trolling.gif
35.gif

The debate is alive and well.

Serious pro drag racers are now running thin oils (good for 4~6 HP in a pro-stock motor). But they are also throwing away parts at an increasing rate. They have sponsor money behind them...

Us regular Joe's can't do that, so we run back in the field on longer lived engines and think we had a good weekend by making a few rounds ...
smile.gif

I'm sure thin oils promote fuel efficiency. I'm also firmly convinced after 5 decades of engine building (hobby level) in 4x4's, hot rods, boats and motorcycles, that it is not for me. I'll buy a few more gallons of gas and keep the motor for a few 100 thousand miles
smile.gif

I'm in the 10W-30 camp for a new'ish motor. 15W-40 for high mileage w/o weeps and seeps. 10W-40 Maxlife for motors with weeps and seeps ...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Trolling.gif
35.gif

+1
36.gif
12.gif
27.gif

+2
07.gif
09.gif
18.gif
23.gif
39.gif

Last edited:
I am presently experimenting with my Neon.

OEM Spec is 5w30 for 1995 to 2004, then in 2005 they switch to recommending 5w20. As best can be found, there was not an engine change to support this.

My last OCI I used M1 0w40 and my car did not respond well. However, with no recent data of my current usage, I don't know if it was the oil or engine that wasn't happy. I used 3.5 qts over 7000 miles. I originally went with the 0w40 to quiet down the valve train noise the Neons are known for, but what started quieter seemed to come back through the OCI.

Currently using PUP 5w20 and the verdict is still under deliberation as I don't have enough miles to see if there is a difference. Strange note is the engine seems quieter with this oil than the last.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
What happened to the thin oil movement?

It sheared to nothing
laugh.gif

I went another way. If 10w-30 is better then straight 30 weight by some margin and 5w-30 might be better then 10w-30 by some smaller margin then I made the assumption that 0w-30 was better than 5w-30 by maybe an even smaller margin but a bit better all the same for the same price. It's sort of a "can't hurt" choice that's even recommended by Mobil 1. I'm sticking with the 30 weight oil that is exactly the recommended viscosity in the owner's manual but using a version spec'd for better cold temperature performance. One thing I'm certain of is that I'll never know for sure if my choice is producing a better result. For the same price I'm okay with that.

I moved up to a 30 grade in my 08 Liberty. Chrysler seems to have changed from the one size fits all 5W20, with no other choices in my 08 Liberty. Now they're saying 5W30 can also be used. So 30 grade it is.

I'm currently running M1 0w-20 in my 3.6 Pentastar. Have carefully recorded mileage for all types of conditions. On my next OC I will use M1 5w-30. Will be documenting this OCI in a like manner.

You cant call it a Moviment (movement), something that is patrocinated by the gov. Only the People do Moviments.

Last edited:
Hopefully they are thinning out.

Thankfully some sense of reason is coming to the debate with the emergence of some hard facts about the matter that counter the thin oil culture.
It is after all only a culture that simply gained some momentum. A bit like the fascist movements of the 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back