Dumped the smartphone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need a smart phone. No one needs a smart phone.

Good for him that he actually did it, but that's his choice. Just like it's my choice to have a smart phone. I've thought about dumping the smart phone for at least a dumb phone as there is a level of security that comes from it in emergencies but I haven't. I also don't let my phone run my life. If I don't want answer, I don't.

It's all about personal choice.

Nice article. My last 2 jobs I needed one (and was reimbursed) but once I'm settled in where I am I may go without.

Mine dictates/is my job, and makes my current lifestyle work (also keeps me in work)

So the blatant claim (usually prefixed by "Get off my Lawn") that no one needs a smartphone a bit facetious

Now, you feel free without a smartphone, or any phone?

Becuase those who willingly turn down $20 a month burner feature phones who sole purpose is to call 911 or a loved one in an emergency, really need to get real.

I don't miss hard line phones and I rarely take my mobile out and about.

No leash for me.

For what it's worth, a man was killed by a UP train in central Nebraska a week or so ago because he was so into his phone conversation that he failed to hear the horn. How in *^## can one not hear a railroad engine horn? I live over twenty blocks from the UP main line and I can hear them blowing fifty or more times a day. Inattention due to use of cell phones is getting out of hand everywhere. No matter how good of a defensive driver one might be, there is no way to protect yourself from an idiot that is so engrossed with chatting someone up that he or she is completely oblivious to their surroundings, including a blaring train horn. Lawmakers in my state are so conservative and suspicious of BIG BROTHER that they won't even make using a phone while driving a primary offense. Almost every other state has that law on the books. Nebraska will be the last: As usual.My sermon for the day.

I have a smart phone, but currently no data plan.

When I go for longer motorcycle rides on humid afternoons, I will stop at a WiFi hotspot so I can check the weather radar website and adjust my ride accordingly.

Reluctantly, I will probably get a data plan when I start doing longer sailboat voyages. I don't want to be that guy who suffers a knockdown in a big thunderstorm.

Nice article. I'm not giving up my smartphone though. Too nice to look up something while I'm out at a store, too easy to send a text spelling out exactly what is needed (get xyz shopping list). Also, with small kids at home, I kinda like the security. [Mind you, I'm a prepaid guy and spend like $6/month on the phone, all services included.]

What I've done lately is to, instead of idly surfing the web or idly watching TV, is to... read a book. I figure, if I'm going to be idle I'm going to read. Made a minor goal to read a book a week, any sort of book.

I don't have a problem with cell phones, nor do I have a problem with smart phones. I think there are a lot of people who feel they can't do anything without their phone, and they end up being helpless without it. I prefer a bit more self-reliance. I do find it rather humorous when people post with "smart" phones, and the grammar/spelling is all screwed up. I'd think a "smart" phone would be smarter than that.

I find the addiction to social media rather strange-a couple of discussion forums is as far as I'll go and I can take them or leave them at any time. I find the entire Facebook/twitwit (or whatever it's called) thing rather stupid.

In our area I'm not even sure if there is a landline provider anymore. Everyone has gone to cell phones, and quite frankly cell phones are more reliable than the old landline phone system.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
This guy proves we don't need these things.

The author of the article is a lady, not a guy.

I love how they align it to an addiction to Facebook and Twitter. Perhaps for tweens and idiots, that is all its useful for. But to paint the smartphone in such a corner is a poor argument.

Let's see, in one compact divice, I have a phone (duh), texting and a list of my contacts. Exactly like a dumb phone.

Then I also have a GPS, email, web, camera, banking, music, flashlight, movies, child's games, etc.

For as "free" as someone might feel not having one, I have to wonder how many other discrete devices they are then buying and lugging around to fulfill many of those retained requirements.

For me, having a smartphone is freedom. I work and I work hard. I'm very involved in multiple high profile and high visibility programs and projects. Having a smartphone to keep up with everything going on means that I can do more, yet retain freedom and some flexibility without being disconnected. It removes stress and increased awareness of things in executing.

That's efficiency and innovation and work ethic. That's good, and it's beneficial.

That must be disconnected from knowing when to turn it off (crack berry syndrome), maintaining good work/family balance, and wasting huge sums of money by poor people to have gadgets they can't afford and only use to waste time.

I won't ever get rid of mine.
But I've made it a point recently to not sit around in public and check it all the time like 95% of others. I put it away and look "different" than the sheep.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I don't miss hard line phones and I rarely take my mobile out and about.

No leash for me.

+1

I carry a 5 dollar burner phone for emergencies and so the wife can contact me. Get 90 days service for 20 bucks. I have huge minutes built up as I never use it.

People say they need it for their job. OK. But we were able to put a man on the moon without them. What have we accomplished since that wouldn't have happened without them?

Last edited:
I have a smartphone, but it's only costing me $35/month (Cricket) and is really my home ISP. I was payng $30 for a land line that I wasn't using. I don't pay for TV (I use an antenna) or internet at home (other than the phone).

If anyone hasn't realized, it's not about cost. It's about being INVOLVED in your surroundings.

It's a very liberating feeling once you go phone free (or limit it's usage). You may THINK your doing yourself/the world a huge favor by always being "connected", but how many of those "lol's" are really necessary? Why do you need to be connected CONSTANTLY with everyone around you for every brainfart or stupid commercial selling you something you don't need?

Personally I like shutting my phone off on the weekends. I find the time moves much slower, but I'm able to have more in-depth conversations with those around me (even strangers) and thoughts that lead to more productivity of those things that matter most (whether it's chores, hobbies etc.).

Like any tool the smartphone is not to blame as much as the tool using the tool.
grin.gif

I have one, finally tossed my Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone due to terrible coverage when I needed it during a family crisis. I priced a "dumb" phone from the major carriers vs. a smart one and found that the cost was more, but not outrageous when you factor in it replaced my home internet connection as well. It's handy to have when traveling for things like boarding passes, finding quick directions and so forth.

Could I live without it? Yes, other than needing some sort of reliable phone for my family's needs. It's nice to have, though, and I'm not one of those zombies you see walking down the street, oblivious to everything going on around me.

Oh good. Another anti smart phone thread. I really enjoyed the thread where both guns and smart phones were bashed. This thread is pretty weak to only bash one boogie man.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Oh good. Another anti smart phone thread. I really enjoyed the thread where both guns and smart phones were bashed. This thread is pretty weak to only bash one boogie man.
+1

Dont you dare criticizing his life choices or you might end up on his ignore list. I'll tell you right now that I have suffered so long after he added me when i told him his Honda Ridgeline was inadequate. Phew, those Honda owners, gosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back