Opinions on this oil filter relocation setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3251_zpsevnmywzi.jpg

1994 Accord 5 Speed with 232,000 miles. Wanted a filter relocation so I can continue to change my oil myself. I've developed some physical problems that make getting under there difficult, and I've unfortunately had to move significantly farther away from all the friends that usually help me out with these sorts of things. So my buddy's suggestion was a filter relocation and a fluid extractor so I could do it all from the engine bay.

Got a Trans Adapt kit single filter kit, we didn't like the included hoses and their push-type fittings, so we got these 60" hydraulic lines with custom fitting (cost more than the kit itself) and ran them essentially up and over the engine to where we fitted the new filter (Mobil 1 M1-301 Extended Performance Filter, which is significantly bigger than the stock.)

My concern is the effect of having this extra 10 feet of line snaking its way over the engine and back. Am I going to run into problems with reduced oil pressure or flow, or some other unintended consequence I haven't considered? I know it'll take oil longer to warm up and circulate on cold starts (I'm in Michigan) so I've been letting it warm up for about 2 minutes and then driving it gently until up to full operating temp.

No. There are plenty of vehicles that hoses nearly as long to feed forward oil coolers, and do not use any special oil pumps, etc.

Stop worrying, don't go out of your way to let your car warm up, and just drive.

Looks good, that is one strange engine, usually engines on the left and transaxle on the right.

Only concern I have is cracks in the hose from heat, or the hose rubbing on that belt or pulley, periodic inspection should be done.

I also see another problem, if you got excessive motor mount play, I can see the portion of the hose from the furthest right tie strap and the oil filter fitting being stressed.

Last edited:
I think it should be ok, but I wouldn't use those plastic zip-ties. With the heat and vibration, they might not last long. Metal hose clamps ought to work, and maybe get an old radiator hose, cut it lengthwise and in sections and use that as a hose protector for where those might be rubbing on things.

Reminds me of my SeaRay filter on top set up with my GM big block 7.4L Twins. I had 4 boats with that setup that had hoses longer than that. Never an issue. Simply wrap the hoses with a larger diameter hose wherever it may touch anything hot and clamp over the cover hose with screw clamps. done!

Do pay attention to the added oil volume in the system and document it at change time.

BTW, You should able to change the oil through the dipstick tube with a fluid extractor. I change my daughters Civic 1.8L that way. But the oil needs to be at operating temperature.

Last edited:
I like it, very nice. Thats the only way I'd do it is with custom crimped hoses. Heard too many stories of hoses popping off the push-on connectors at highway speed and burning up the engine before the person got it stopped.
The only thing is to watch out for wear, something you can do while you are doing the change. Most hydraulic hose is made pretty tough any way; far tougher than you need for engine oil pressure so even if it wears clear through the outer steel braid it wont fail.

That's pretty cool. F22B2 2.2 4cyl
My accord has the abs module in that area.
Your's a 5 speed ?

Thanks for the replies (and reassurance)
Originally Posted By: Doog

Do pay attention to the added oil volume in the system and document it at change time.
BTW, You should able to change the oil through the dipstick tube with a fluid extractor. I change my daughters Civic 1.8L that way. But the oil needs to be at operating temperature.

Good advice. And we checked to make sure the fluid extractor can snake its way all the way down the dipstick tube and it can, so that's the plan.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Only concern I have is cracks in the hose from heat, or the hose rubbing on that belt or pulley, periodic inspection should be done.
I also see another problem, if you got excessive motor mount play, I can see the portion of the hose from the furthest right tie strap and the oil filter fitting being stressed.

Good point, I think I'd like to route it a little farther (maybe go around that engine mount) and metal clamps as Nick1994 suggested are probably a good idea. These engines (Honda F-series) are very reliable, but do have a reputation of being a bit thrashy, so vibration could be an issue at the mount.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
That's pretty cool. F22B2 2.2 4cyl
My accord has the abs module in that area.
Your's a 5 speed ?

Yep it's a F22B2 with the 5 Speed. This is the entry level DX model, so it came without ABS, no power windows, no power locks, no rear anti-roll bar, 14" steel wheels and air-conditional was optional (this one has it). Makes it the lightest of all trim. Found this spec sheet awhile back if you're interested.

Last edited:
Nice job, the extra capacity won't hurt. If there's a hot spot that the hoses pass in the engine compartment, you may want a heat shield of some sort - not for the oil but for the hoses.

Looks like you thought it all out. Many years ago I ran a remote filter setup on a Baja Bug. I had a cooler mounted on the roof. Had about 12' of hose. Never had any problems with it.

That looks almost as painless as it was to reach the OF in my old E39 BMW.

The only way you can reduce pressure with the hoses is if one leaks. You're fine.

Which extractor are you using?

Also Mobil 1 oil filters are high capacity you don't need to change it every oil change they can do two easily, plop the right size Fram Ultra on there maybe 3 runs per filter

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Which extractor are you using?

Also Mobil 1 oil filters are high capacity you don't need to change it every oil change they can do two easily, plop the right size Fram Ultra on there maybe 3 runs per filter

Mityvac. Can't remember the model number and I'm not home at the moment. Same one my friend uses at his shop and he says its served him well.

Nice set up. I have remote oil and AT filters on my 93 240 and an inline PS filter. I would pay attention to rubbing of hoses and pulling of the hoses against the filter mount. Is there enough slack in the hoses to allow for the transverse rotation of the engine? I would bind the hoses together with some type of protection at the areas where they touch and any area where the hose touches the engine. I use 500 degree silicone foam tape purchased on Amazon and a high temp heat mesh purchased at Summit Racing. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back