First Generation Tundra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am toying around with the idea of getting a cheap truck for future house work and to drag the Jeep around.

It seems that these trucks are selling pretty cheap. The bodies are rusty - but every single one has a new frame (brake lines, ball joints, control arms).

It's a Toyota, so the engine and trans should live a long life. In fact, the transmission is the A340E which, in my experience, is indestructible. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to get one with around 100K miles for $2500 or so.

They do use a timing belt, so I would have to change that. V8 has a towing capacity of 7500.

I believe the 3.4 and 4.7 don't blow head gaskets like the older ones did.

I can't really find any major issues with these (spit spark plugs, transmission failure every 30,000 miles, etc). Anyone have experience with these trucks?

Farthest I would be pulling my 3500 pound Jeep - 3500 is Jeep, bumper, mud - is probably 150 miles. Nothing too far, but just in case it goes for another swim or something and can't make it home under its own power.

Big three 1/2 ton trucks just aren't a good value. Less so are the 3/4 ton trucks.

Can't say much bad about Toyotas in general, although the rust thing is awfully important. I know the 3.4 runs forever for many owners, good luck with the hunt!

The frames were recalled and can rust. Make sure to inspect a brand new frame or rust. My parents had this done while it may sound very invasive the repair has absolutely no squeaks or rattles on their 2000 4x4 Tundra extended cab v8. The engine is incredibly smooth and has been absolutely trouble free except for a bad starter for 120k miles and also fuel door I think fell off(common). We live in a salty area and it has started to bubble just this past year but no orange rust on panels.

Parents lucked out in a way with timing belt change because the dealership changed for little money when the engine was transferred and exposed. They also got a new exhaust and shocks for part prices only.

Besides the frame rot and bad starter the 16 years/120k of ownership has been typical of what people expect of Toyota, nothing happened.

A first gen V8 Tundra would be a perfectly good tow rig for the Jeep. I'd figure that Jeep + suitable trailer will come in around 5000 - 5500 lbs, so well within what the truck can do. Plan on finding an appropriate car trailer and adding a brake controller to the truck, and it wouldn't hurt to run a weight distribution hitch, as a loaded bumper pull car trailer tends to have a good bit of tongue weight.

I used this PT combo to tow horses for several years, it was excellent. The starters are a common issue, and exhaust manifolds on early 4.7s, mostly in hot climates. Nothing else, really.

Here's a blurb about the exhaust manifold issue on. 4.7's:

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-sequoia-tund...-manifold-leak/

Big +1 on weight distribution hitches for towing heavier loads. WAY worth the money and small extra time to attach.

My neighbor across the street had one of those for a number of years, bought new. Its not as indestructible as you might think- it was never a "problem child" and gave her many years of good service, but when it went it WENT. Total engine failure, big-time, IIRC. Probably had 150k on it or so. We're so far outside of the rust belt that the frame never had an issue and she gave it to some guys that were going to do something like put a Chevy drivetrain in it... lord knows how many minutes it lasted before it turned to a pretzel, assuming they didn't just scrap it.

My overall impression of the truck wasn't very good, either. The first Tundras were basically re-badged T100s, which were pretty much regular small Toyota pickups underneath. Undersized axle, undersized frame, undersized ring/pinion, undersized brakes... not a great vehicle unless you never made any use of its full-sizedness.

I don't know why you say the "big 3" aren't a good value unless you're looking at quad-cab low-mileage trucks. For your application, SURELY you could find an ex-fleet 90s era Ram/Ford/Chevy half-ton work truck with rubber floor mats, or maybe a Ranger,Dakota, or a Colorado. Any one of them would be a lot more reliable and maybe lower initial investment than a first-gen Tundra, IMO.

They would probably be calling them T150s to this day had Ford not got involved and claimed that they would be confused with F150s had that label been given to the original T100.Tundra just makes you think of the frozen tundra,too cold for me....

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I don't know why you say the "big 3" aren't a good value unless you're looking at quad-cab low-mileage trucks. For your application, SURELY you could find an ex-fleet 90s era Ram/Ford/Chevy half-ton work truck with rubber floor mats, or maybe a Ranger,Dakota, or a Colorado. Any one of them would be a lot more reliable and maybe lower initial investment than a first-gen Tundra, IMO.

I suspect he doesn't think they are desirable because they are rustbuckets just like Toyota up here--anything from the early 2000's is toast now, let alone 1990's. However: Toyota has been replacing frames left and right, thus one of the most important things is "brand new", coupled with an engine/trans combo known for long life. Throw in some new brake lines and one might have a great starting point to Fluid Film the snot out of and run for a few years.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I used this PT combo to tow horses for several years, it was excellent. The starters are a common issue, and exhaust manifolds on early 4.7s, mostly in hot climates. Nothing else, really.

Here's a blurb about the exhaust manifold issue on. 4.7's:

http://carspecmn.com/toyota-sequoia-tund...-manifold-leak/

Big +1 on weight distribution hitches for towing heavier loads. WAY worth the money and small extra time to attach.

The starters are in an oddball spot on those, right?

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I suspect he doesn't think they are desirable because they are rustbuckets just like Toyota up here--anything from the early 2000's is toast now, let alone 1990's. However: Toyota has been replacing frames left and right, thus one of the most important things is "brand new", coupled with an engine/trans combo known for long life. Throw in some new brake lines and one might have a great starting point to Fluid Film the snot out of and run for a few years.

Yep - anything from the 90s is definitely going to be too far gone to consider towing with. Just a junker at this point. These trucks would be just as junky, but since they have new frames, they should be structurally sound to tow a trailer.

Anything without frame rot, in a pickup is going to be $5K. I saw a decent F150 with 170K miles for $6K and that was pretty cheap. Little bit of rust bubbles here and there, but trucks are just stupidly expensive.

I'm not going to pay $6000 for something that's going to need cam phasers / timing chains (F150 above) or something that's going to need a transmission more sooner than later (dodge) and still have body and frame that's rotted out

I like the GMT400/800 trucks, but those seem to rot the frames too quickly to be able to tow.

What went bad on the Tundra? Maybe they didn't change the rubber band or something and it ate a bunch of valves? I do strongly dislike timing belts and I absolutely do not trust them.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

What went bad on the Tundra? Maybe they didn't change the rubber band or something and it ate a bunch of valves? I do strongly dislike timing belts and I absolutely do not trust them.

It was a V6, and I think it was a head gasket followed by a hydro-lock. I only saw the resulting carnage, so it might have just spit a rod with no other cause. I know Toyota 4.0s did that fairly often.

I still think a gen-1 Tundra is just asking for trouble, even compared to a rusty Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. Heck, even the final "big" Tundra had quite a few problems its first few years (brakes, suspension). But if you're dead set, might as well go all-in and get a v8. It may break the REST of the truck quicker, but at least its a better engine than the v6.

The starters are in an oddball spot on those, right?

My father in law has a 1995.5 Tacoma with the 3.4L, and it's had a few starter motor replacements. His had a really odd engine issue with something like 210k miles on it -- the aluminum intake manifold developed a physical hole in. They put a salvage yard engine in it and it just keeps on going. It has probably 230k miles on the entire thing, save for the 100k mile engine.

Except for the starter, it's been a tremendously solid little truck. Original frame (in western VA), original exhaust, original transmission, original transfer case, original axles, etc. It really hasn't had anything replaced except for the couple of starters on the original engine, then the junkyard engine because it was just as cheap as replacing the intake manifold.

Yeah, they have timing belts, but that'll be a cinch to change, and could be used as a bargaining chip.

I imagine a similar era Tundra/T100 will give similar service to a Tacoma.

Do some research, fly into Arizona or Texas, spend a day or 2 finding a truck (for a lot cheaper down here) and it'll be 100% rust free and take it back up there. You can make it a mini-vacation out of it, and the cost savings of the truck might pretty much pay for your trip. 2-3 day drive back to New York. Plus the truck will last for many more years.

Or another Cherokee.

I can agree with Miller88 that here in New England the Big 3 aren't a good value. Rusted out pieces of garbage selling for high prices because they have a few stickers and mud tires. The problem with the Toyotas is you have the "It's a Toyota, so its made out of gold" mentality and they want big bucks for decent ones.

If you can find one that has high miles or some body rust but a solid frame then you can probably get it pretty cheap. Trucks around here command a premium price. What about a Suburban or Tahoe? My friend picked up a 2003 Suburban 5.3L 4x4 for $2500 to pull her horse trailer. A comparable Silverado in my area with similar miles and options was $6000+.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Or another Cherokee.

That I have debated.
smile.gif

When I was in Florida it was like I stepped back in time. Tons of 1990s and early 2000s vehicles that looked brand new!

Well I do want another stock Cherokee , but not for off roading or towing. It's staying stock. But it wouldn't be able to tow my current one places without struggling.

Didn't think about flying out of the area and buying something. I don't need 4WD. but I don't know how to buy a vehicle out of state.

A Tahoe / Suburban would work fine.

Well I do want another stock Cherokee , but not for off roading or towing. It's staying stock. But it wouldn't be able to tow my current one places without struggling.

Didn't think about flying out of the area and buying something. I don't need 4WD. but I don't know how to buy a vehicle out of state.

A Tahoe / Suburban would work fine.
Arizona is really simple to buy a car, previous owner gets the title notarized, and hands it to you and you're good to go. Not sure what you have to do in New York.

A 4.0L Cherokee is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. A stock Cherokee weighs 3,000 pounds so with yours lifted with gear and stuff you're probably spot on with it being 3,500 pounds. Should have some room to go, and with a tow-bar and the transfercase in neutral it should tow ok.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
A 4.0L Cherokee is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. A stock Cherokee weighs 3,000 pounds so with yours lifted with gear and stuff you're probably spot on with it being 3,500 pounds. Should have some room to go, and with a tow-bar and the transfercase in neutral it should tow ok.

No way in [censored]. Flat towing with no brakes like that would be a deathtrap. XJ brakes can barely stop an XJ, let alone 2 of them... And on a trailer, you'll be seriously pushing the weight limit.

I've pulled a ZJ on a trailer behind my ZJ. It's do-able, but I wouldn't recommend it, and certainly not to do regularly. And XJs are worse tow rigs. This is a job that NEEDS a full size half-ton truck (or bigger) to do it. A V8 Dakota might be enough to squeak by safely.

I live in NY. And have bought a few of my vehicles in Florida over the years. You just have to pay whatever the difference is in taxes when you go to register it at DMV in NY. Because our taxes are higher than any other state for no reason. Definitely a wise move. Rust is the true enemy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back