dollar store oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, everybody better check there stashes of oil. I know all you Bitoggers use these oils
crackmeup2.gif
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gma-investigate...ory?id=36876976

Is it wrong for them to sell an irrelevant product? That's for another thread.

Maybe we need to stop and actually read. Don't just grab a quart of oil and throw it in because, well, it's oil, it's good to go because it's oil.

Actually, it is worse. At the end of the video on the linked page, they say that the GMA Investigation went to a large number of other stores (other than Dollar Generals) and found that HALF had similar obsolete oils that appear to be just like regular modern oil. So this isn't just a Dollar Store problem.

GMA went to 8 other (not Dollar General) retailers in the area and found that 4 of them sold the obsolete oil right next to the real oil. Unless people read the fine print on the back (few woudl), they would never that they were buying oil that is very bad for their (post 1988) cars.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gma-investigate...ory?id=36876976

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spavel6
So if the olive oil isle is back to back from the motor oil isle, a store could also be sued?

Yes, if the olive oil was (a) sitting in the automotive aisle (b) next to the real motor oils (c) in a container that made it look like any other motor oil and (d) the olive oil was labeled "SAE 5w30 motor oil" and then (e) had some tiny print on the back that said "only for small Italian olive oil engines built prior to 1988."

The combination of a-e makes it bad. It looks like regular 5w30 oil except the fine print on the back. And the fine print doesn't say that 1988 oil is totally wrong for a post 1988 car. Most people might think that 1988 oil is pretty much the same as modern oil.

So if the olive oil isle is back to back from the motor oil isle, a store could also be sued?

Even crummy dollar store olive oil is probably way too expensive for the shoppers there to use it in their cars.

Last edited:
"Technically" speaking DG is within the rules and it does meet the spec and labeling requirements. WM used to sell similar Accel 10/40 product, looks like they've discontinued it.

That said, imo it would be in DG's best interest and everyone else including uneducated consumers to stop selling this DG oil product.

And this is a little different than the oils that PQIA randomly tests that don't meet the advertised label specs.

Even the dollar tree has SN oil for $1, although it is an 11oz bottle and not a full quart.

DG should start selling Smitty's SuperS. They can sell it for $2/qt or so and it meets SN standards.

I'm not saying that it's ethical for stores to be selling this.. However, reading and following the owners manual would seem like the correct thing to do. Would the argument be any different if the owners purchased regular green antifreeze and dumped it into their Dex-Cool car to find it sludged and killed the engine?

Many manufacturers (Germans come to mind) have a very specific list of standards and approved oils. Just because it's 5w30 doesn't mean it meets the standard.

Here is the 2002 Mazda 626 owners manual (Plaintiff interviewed seemed to have this car):

2n6ym2a.jpg

I'm not saying that it's ethical for stores to be selling this.. However, reading and following the owners manual would seem like the correct thing to do. Would the argument be any different if the owners purchased regular green antifreeze and dumped it into their Dex-Cool car to find it sludged and killed the engine?

Many manufacturers (Germans come to mind) have a very specific list of standards and approved oils. Just because it's 5w30 doesn't mean it meets the standard.

Here is the 2002 Mazda 626 owners manual (Plaintiff interviewed seemed to have this car):

2n6ym2a.jpg

You're assuming that the vehicle owner would be responsible for reading the owners manual....not in the uber victim nanny state.....everyone is a blithering idiot wandering aimlessly and at the whims of evil greedy retailers

I wish typical car owners read their manuals and knew that an API certified oil is the only oil to use. Unfortunately, the typical car owner is not like this.

I find this:

2n6ym2a_zpslwbw98w9.jpg

Far more confusing than the label on the DG oil.

at least the DG oil CLEARLY says for use in 1988 and older vehicles.

the pee-poor graphic above leads me to think that 5w30 is good below -20°F and above 100°F and the 10w30 is good from infinity to below -20°F. Putting the arrows on the ends of the bars is far more misleading than CLEARLY LABLING YOUR OIL.

As for shelf placement:
They are getting criticized for putting their MOTOR OIL next to MOTOR OIL. c'mon!!! really???

where should they put their store branded motor oil? next to the popcorn?

At some point we have to be responsible for ourselves, people. I went into DG and saw their oil (long before getting involved with BITOG) and got curious what it was like. so I picked up the bottle, turned it around, and saw that I didn't want to use it in my vehicle.

I barely even broke a sweat doing it, too.

People need to be responsible for themselves.
period.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
It should be labeled "Hooptie oil"

Better yet "Pre-1988 Hooptie oil"

Originally Posted By: meborder
I find this:

2n6ym2a_zpslwbw98w9.jpg

Far more confusing than the label on the DG oil.

at least the DG oil CLEARLY says for use in 1988 and older vehicles.

the pee-poor graphic above leads me to think that 5w30 is good below -20°F and above 100°F and the 10w30 is good from infinity to below -20°F. Putting the arrows on the ends of the bars is far more misleading than CLEARLY LABLING YOUR OIL.

I think your observations are exactly correct - 5w30 is good at any temperature a human might encounter on earth. 10w30 is NOT good below -20F..

If we're talking about marketing to the general "uneducated" population, wouldn't this be as precise as the manufacturer wants to get?

People need to know/read a little or let someone more knowledgeable change the oil.

Also a QT of makeup oil, probably no big deal, better than running on low/no oil pressure.

FWIW - I have had personal experience with this oil.

Two years ago I bought 8 quarts of the DG brand oil in 10w30, and used it in my 1951 GMC truck, with an inline 270ci six cylinder engine. (This was spring of 2014)

I have to admit...even though it is an older engine that was rebuilt about 10 years ago, this oil made it seem to run pretty [censored]. [censored] as in there was alot of scraping noises, high engine whine, and more than usual oil dripping onto the pan in the garage.

So I dumped that oil after about 1 month. It was solid black, and seemed alot thinner than when I put it in.

Never again. I switched back to Rotella and Valvoline oil, in 15w40. No issues since.

GL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back