11 GMC Sierra 6.2L oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traded my tired 98 Z71 for a used GMC 1500 this week. My kids keep growing and the extended cab didn't cut it anymore. We opted for a short bed crew cab and 4 full doors. Previous owner never towed anything although it is equipped with a max trailering package. It has 86K on it. Manual says 5W-30.

We generally put 7500 miles on the truck a year mostly to hunting camp (85 miles one way) and occasional short trips (less than 10 miles) on weekends. It may go a week or two sometimes that it won't get driven at all. We are in central PA so temps range from 0 degrees to the 90's and the only towing I will do will be to occasionally get a ton of coal with a small trailer. Looks like it has a maintenance minder on it as I saw oil life at 96% scrolling through the menu. Not sure what the MM interval will be but was looking for suggestions on oil, filter and interval. Thanks.

I have the 6.2 in my Camaro and 5.3 in my Tahoe. GM was kind enough to keep the oil filter the same so I can buy in bulk.

For your mileage, you will be able to change your oil once per year-which is always my goal in choosing an oil and filter combination. I buy Wix/Napa Gold filters by the dozen for $5 delivered. You really can't appreciate the time and gas this saves running to the parts store all the time.

I'm not dogmatic about oil choice except to go with a national brand synthetic. I like to buy M1 at Costco for about $4.50/qt when on sale every other month. I would avoid the AFE oils as I've experienced much higher burn rates in my Tahoe V8. Stick with 5W-30 and if you want to splurge a little bit, you can buy EP.

Also, if it matters to you, XOM is an American company, Shell is not.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 and a FRAM ULTRA oil filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Having raised and killed so many of this engine family in our fleet I can tell you these engines are simply not hard on oil.

We use whatever synthetic or blend is on sale and same with the filters (except for avoiding purolators). Our engines last far longer than the trucks they come in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back