Static electricity in my car - How do I stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting out of my 2003 Ford Focus has been a rather trying experience as of late. I'm literally seeing a spark that is reminiscent of how a spark plug does.

I bought a can of Static Guard last night and sprayed it in my car. It worked for all of last night and when I got out of my car this morning, ZAP!

I will say that when I sprayed the Static Guard in my car, I was in a Target parking lot, so I didn't get a chance to let it sit on the driver's seat and bond (or whatever it needs to do) before I sat in it. So it could be a user error on my part for not letting the stuff sit.

With all of this being said, how do I get rid of this static electricity? It is driving me up the wall to be perfectly honest.

You can buy a static grounding strap that attaches to your car frame and drags around the ground. They work and are fairly cheap, but be forewarned that everyone and their mother will tell you that you have something hanging from your car.

I saw a news report on TV about static electricity causing fires/explosions at gas pumps when pumping gas. It mostly happens when people reenter and exit they're vehicles after starting the gas pumps. They advised to touch some metal surface of they're cars before touching the gas pump nozzle. It happens mostly to women who reenter they're cars to retrieve something from they're purse while pumping gas. I don't know how to prevent it, but I do try to touch some metal on the car before I start pumping gas, and I rarely reenter my vehicle once I start the pump.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
They advised to touch some metal surface of they're cars before touching the gas pump nozzle. It happens mostly to women who reenter they're cars to retrieve something from they're purse while pumping gas.

REALLY!? Conan the Grammarian strikes again.

Get Bounce fabric dryer sheets and tuck them in your seats and wipe them all over the seats. That seems to work well. You can get scented or fragrance ones, your choice.

Before you touch the door handle, getting in or out, hold a metal object, like a key, between thumb and fore finger. Touch the key to the handle. You won't feel the zap. Works every time.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I get zapped every time I get out of mine. I just try to make sure to touch a door or something as I am getting out.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Before you touch the door handle, getting in or out, hold a metal object, like a key, between thumb and fore finger. Touch the key to the handle. You won't feel the zap. Works every time.

This!

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Getting out of my 2003 Ford Focus has been a rather trying experience as of late. I'm literally seeing a spark that is reminiscent of how a spark plug does.
Simple. Before you slide out of your seat, hang onto the interior metal door handle first, then slide out.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
back in the 70's i remember seeing ground straps on a lot of cars these days mo...

Where? Between the occupants and the vehicle frame?

REALLY!? Conan the Grammarian strikes again

Once upon a time a little HEIR

Lived inside of the word THEIR

When he was joined by other HEIRS

The things they owned became THEIRS.

Sorry, I forgot this little rhyme. I haven't been to school in a LOOONG time!

I actually feel badly for doing that. I must have been in an ornery mood. I'm sorry.

First of all, don’t rub your butt to the seat. That’s where the static electricity is coming from
smile.gif

But seriously, you can try to touch a metal part of the car via a key or some other material which will conducts electricity, so that the spark will hit the object, not you. Maybe some material which has some resistance would be ideal => lower current.

You can also make sure that you are touching a metal part of your car before you get up from the driver’s seat, as others have stated already.

Also, your clothes might be made of that kind of material that builds up static electricity easily. Try some different clothes. Synthetic fiber is one of the worst.

One more trick. Don’t touch your car with your fingertip. Use back of the hand instead. It can be less painful place to get the electric shock.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Get Bounce fabric dryer sheets and tuck them in your seats and wipe them all over the seats. That seems to work well. You can get scented or fragrance ones, your choice.

Keep hitting it with Static Guard or try the above. What you are doing is applying a topical anti-stat to the seat. It renders the seat mildly conductive. That suppresses charging and bleeds off charge as it is generated.

Had a similar problem with a car years ago. We made some measurements on how charged-up I was getting (I work in the static control industry). It was something like 20KV, it gives you a good cracking discharge. I applied Static Guard numerous times and after a while the problem faded.

Thank you for all of the responses. In the meantime, I'll keep hitting it with Static Guard to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back