Better micron rating than a 40u for a 4967/14476?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:) I noted on a post here,micron ratings! POsted just recently. The purolator classic, 14476/14477 P1 14476/14477 are rated at 97.5% at 40 microns, the P1 99% at 40 microns. Cross refference is the fram 4967 filter. Yes these are small filters, the 14477 being the larger one.
Are thier filters out thier, with much better,lower, micron ratings? I had read, ALL frams, im assuming also the 4967, the extraguards are rated at 95% at 20 microns, the tough guard 99% at 20microns, the ultra, 99% at and below 20 microns.
Is their a purolator that is 20 microns? For my application?
Are ALL frams that good rated? Are thier filters out thier for a 98 corolla rated better than 40microns>?

One of my cars calls for 4967. I believe it has the same engine as your Corolla. I use 3600 on it, fits just fine. Same price, twice or triple the size and filtering media. I just stick with Ultra. So XG3600. Or purolator L20195. Motorcraft FL400S too.

Id like to see more of the fine stuff on the specs. Like 97% at 40 microns, 50% at 20 microns and 15% at 10 microns, 2% at 5 microns, for example. Maybe isnt much consistent, so they stop at 20 microns to be of the sure side.

Originally Posted By: SanProsan
One of my cars calls for 4967. I believe it has the same engine as your Corolla. I use 3600 on it, fits just fine. Same price, twice or triple the size and filtering media. I just stick with Ultra. So XG3600. Or purolator L20195. Motorcraft FL400S too.

4967 and 3600 are not interchangeable.

3614 and 3600 are.

OP, you can also use 4386 instead 4967 if you wish.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Id like to see more of the fine stuff on the specs. Like 97% at 40 microns, 50% at 20 microns and 15% at 10 microns, 2% at 5 microns, for example. Maybe isnt much consistent, so they stop at 20 microns to be of the sure side.

Yes, it would be nice to see a little chart or graph on the filter's box showing the efficiency at a few other particle sizes like you described above.

If you compare all filters at 20 microns you can at least get a feel for what the efficiency is at other particle sizes. All oil filters will have an efficiency vs. particle size curve similar to those shown below.

The 3 curves at the left upper area are full synthetic/glass media.

The 2 curves in the middle are a glass/cellulose blend media.

The 2 curves to the right are cellulose media.

Now thats a good post, not one of those Shannows pieces
smile.gif

Both are important, too me. If cleaner engine means a lower u rating, wede needtoo know at what percentage. Or so ive learned. If a fram ultra, isratedat i dunno 50% at 20 microns, thats WAY better, than a purolator classic, rated at 97.5% at 40 microns. Ide asume, with the classic, at 20u, it would be much lower, just thinking outside the box.... 20-30%?

The whole point of this post, is ide like too know, if thiers a filter commercialy out thier, thats WAY better for filtering, something near a fram ultra, but cheaper. Example, could a fram 3600 be rated at 20 microns? IM asuming, all fram filters, including the extraguard are pretty good for 20 micron or less removal, as opposed too purolator classic, 97.5% at 40 microns, isnt good enough for me. Thats more of a flush time filter.
OR or thier other purolators or frams, that would fit the 4957 toyota corolla filter, but have better micron removal..within the fram purolator family that would fit.
the 3614 filters, i treid a few i had few years ago, mobil 1 and supertech had a tadtoo much overhang outside the filter adapter, the filter screws on. They screwed on, but the inner diameter of the o ring gasket, was like halfway in and out of the adapter..not flush n well seated.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
The whole point of this post, is ide like too know, if thiers a filter commercialy out thier, thats WAY better for filtering, something near a fram ultra, but cheaper.

The answer is "no", unless you want to go with the Tough Guard which is a little cheaper and still at 99% @ 20 microns.

Yep. That's correct Ziggy. The Fram tough guard 4967 goes on my lady's Camry. It's 99% @ 20 micons. So, at Wally world they are $4.97 I believe for this size TG.

The whole point of this post, is ide like too know, if thiers a filter commercialy out thier, thats WAY better for filtering, something near a fram ultra, but cheaper. Example, could a fram 3600 be rated at 20 microns? IM asuming, all fram filters, including the extraguard are pretty good for 20 micron or less removal, as opposed too purolator classic, 97.5% at 40 microns, isnt good enough for me. Thats more of a flush time filter.
OR or thier other purolators or frams, that would fit the 4957 toyota corolla filter, but have better micron removal..within the fram purolator family that would fit.
the 3614 filters, i treid a few i had few years ago, mobil 1 and supertech had a tadtoo much overhang outside the filter adapter, the filter screws on. They screwed on, but the inner diameter of the o ring gasket, was like halfway in and out of the adapter..not flush n well seated.
The CQ blue filters are pretty good too-not quite Ultra level, but 99.1% @ 20 microns, and metal end caps (if you're not a fan of "engineered media" ones!).

THats pretty good for filters! As opposed too napa proselct, silver, read their rated at like 80% at 20 microns. Purolator pureones, 14476, 77, box says 40 microns. thats bad....
Read the bosch premiums are 15 microns at 98 percent. But also saw infosaying 20 microns at 99 percent. either wya are WAY batter...
How about mobil filters? early 2000's,i know they wererated 10-20 microns at 99.2% efficieny.
Too bad thier isnt a filter like the bosch distance plus! saw particle counts on a post here. picked up tiny fine micro crud!!! Too bad thier isnt a filter for 4-5000 oil changes. thats what i do.

Thier used too be a carquest some distnace from me 14 miles some 12 years ago..its gone now:( I have had an interest in carquest filters. It does say above 20 microns...not at 20 microns. isnt that a difference?
I belive, this is how it goes...example. 99% at 20 microns, then it would be 895 at 10 microns, 79% at 5 micorns, 69% at 3 microns, ect ect...or no?
I am kinda saddish? That even a pureone, for my application, 14476,14477, are rated for 40 microns and above..: (
I have a pureone air filter i put in some 3-4 years ago, and only put around 22,000 miles on it since. the oil is gone, it appears too be collecting black dirt* but it also had NO plastic frame, as factory, fram, napa, stp even do...thiers a plastic frame around the air filter. the pureone has NO plastic frame..
Over past few years, im second guessing purolator..but at least for my application.

I have 2 classics, and a pureone, and like 11 DW fitlers i found on clearnace months ago at my local advance auto...for like $1.35 each! Im just gunna use them over time, for my yearly flushes.

It does say above 20 microns...not at 20 microns. isnt that a difference?

It's been hashed over many times. It's basically the same as at 20 microns since 20.00001 microns is still greater than 20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back