Oil for VW 1.8tsi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30 on 5k oci's (voa, uoa coming). It's 502/505.01. It's on the warranty sheet. I contacted VW about the 502 vs 504 issue. On the radiator support it says to use 502 only. The manual says I can use 502 or 504. The VWOA rep said the 504 listing in the manual is an oversight due to the use of the oil in Europe. I compromised because I wanted to run a 504. I wanted a low saps, higher tbn, higher noack oil that's warranty compliant...so that's why the 505.01. After the warranty is up, I'm switching to a 504.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
I wanted a low saps, higher tbn, higher noack oil that's warranty compliant

Did you mean 'lower' Noack?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
I wanted a low saps, higher tbn, higher noack oil that's warranty compliant

Did you mean 'lower' Noack?

Oops, yes.

While I haven't read every detail of this thread, I also considered using a VW504 certified oil. Per my owner's manual, 502 and 504 cert'd oils (as well as another, but not pertinent here) are recommended. I own a 2013 VW GLI with the gen 3 ea888 2.0T and have been running Motul X-Clean 8100 5w40 for about a year now (mid SAPS) to help slow intake valve deposit formations.

I think if you're changing oil at 5k mile intervals, a VW504 oil would be what you'd want (driving conditions to be considered). The one that seems to be easiest to find for me is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, but I believe Castrol also makes one.

Since you're looking to at least slow down the process of intake valve deposits forming, this is what I'd really consider, again at 5k mile OCIs. As others have said, VW504 oils aren't likely to last the full 10k mile OCIs in our DI engines with the fuels we have in the States.

Last edited:
So, here are a couple of other options based on my findings:

Amsoil AFL, which is 502/505.01, is .8 SA, TBN of 8, and NOACK of 10%

Or...

Amsoil AEL (Low SAPS) which is 504/507, .6 SA, TBN of 8.8, and NOACK of 7.1%

So, even though AEL is the Low SAPS option, the TBN is much better than the equivalent Mobil1 ESP. My thought is that AEL would be just fine in my car for 5k runs, maybe longer with UOA. It hits on the two items I am looking for: Low SAPS and low NOACK.

Actually, this oil looks similar to the M1 ESP 0w40 that is said to be arriving shortly.
Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
So, here are a couple of other options based on my findings:

Amsoil AFL, which is 502/505.01, is .8 SA, TBN of 8, and NOACK of 10%

Or...

Amsoil AEL (Low SAPS) which is 504/507, .6 SA, TBN of 8.8, and NOACK of 7.1%

So, even though AEL is the Low SAPS option, the TBN is much better than the equivalent Mobil1 ESP. My thought is that AEL would be just fine in my car for 5k runs, maybe longer with UOA. It hits on the two items I am looking for: Low SAPS and low NOACK.

Actually, this oil looks similar to the M1 ESP 0w40 that is said to be arriving shortly.
Thoughts?

And it is not approved oil!
No Amsoil is approved by VW and your car is still under warranty!

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

As you know the only difference with MB229.3 and 5 is the Noack requirement

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

The oil can achieve 229.5 with no change to base oils. It's only just over 10%.

That's good to know about the Edge 5W-40. Thanks

I have always noticed that Castrol Edge 5W-40 was MB 229.3 only, while Castrol Edge 0W-40 was MB 229.3 & MB 229.5

Yet they are both A3/B4, VW 502 / 505, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40 etc

Around me the Edge 5W-40 is often on sale, but the Edge 0W-40 is rarely on sale. I may pick some 5W-40 up at the next big Castrol sale. I believe the Edge 5W-40 is Group 3 based and the Edge 0W-40 is Group 3 & Group 4 based. I spoke to a Castrol Tech on the phone once (few years ago) and he said the Edge 0W-40 and Edge 10W-60 were the oils with Group 4 content. I was going through a big 10W-60 phase at the time, and he was quite open with me over the phone. I think the pour points for the 40 weights is a good indicator too.

BTW Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/ B4 is also VW 502 / 505 as well as MB 229.5 & BMW LL-01 and so is the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Just for a few more options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Mobil11 or Castrol Edge in 0W-40. Done.

I have two VW's in my stable.
I have been using either one of Mobil1 1 or Castrol Edge in 0W-40/30 in my '07 for years......still running strong going on 10 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back