Mobil Super Syn vs ...others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

So I saw some Mobil Super Synthetic on sale a couple days ago for about $3.75/qt. I'll run any cheap/sale Syn oil, or conventional (prefer Syn)...cause it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, my question...is this a "steal" or is the PP I picked up for $4/qt a better deal? See, if find a REALLY good deal (like Havoline for $1.60/qt) I'll run it if it's canola oil. Or is NAPA Syn for $3.75 a better buy?

Anyway, this was the cheap Mobil Syn. The Mobil Super Syn version. Seems like it's not a "super great deal" to me as NAPA and PP and QSUD and SuperTech run about the same. Should I be more excited? Or is regular priced Super Tech that's cheaper just as good but cheaper?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Yup
Thoughts?
try to proof read before posting?

ummm that's not a great deal for a synthetic but okay.

If your picking synthetics, depends on how long you intend to keep the oil in service for.

If your a 5000 miles no matter what kind of guy, then the cheapest synthetic with API certifications would do, if your into longer extended OCI like 10,000 then try any big brand names, depending on the situation, they are more then capable.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Yup
Thoughts?
try to proof read before posting?

ummm that's not a great deal for a synthetic but okay.

If your picking synthetics, depends on how long you intend to keep the oil in service for.

If your a 5000 miles no matter what kind of guy, then the cheapest synthetic with API certifications would do, if your into longer extended OCI like 10,000 then try any big brand names, depending on the situation, they are more then capable.

I always love the proofreading comments and then improper use of "your" in their own post. Or should I say "they're post". Sorry, my iPad's autocorrect hates me and I was using a rambling, conversational speech. Also, "more than." Thanks for making my post look better by writing your own.

But, back to the topic at hand, I felt like ST at $17 is a better deal but thought maybe it was a great buy given the price.

"PP at $4/qt is a better buy than Mobil SS at $3.75/qt."

That was my thought. Or QSUD for $20 regular price. Thanks for holding back you're commints on my speeling and grammir.

Last edited:
I agree that PP is the better deal. The Mobil Super convention oil line is decent oil but the Synthetic is nothing special. It's surely not the same level as Mobil 1. Going the extra 25 cents for PP puts you in the same performace level as Mobil 1 would be. I would chose the Mobil Super Syn over the Supertech syn if prices were the same, however.

Last edited:
Is the cost of oil the most important thing to you? If so, buy the cheapest oil you can find.

Depends on viscosity needed. If 5w20...?

WMart regular prices for 5qt jugs
Castrol GTX Magnatec $19 (5w30 is a blend)
QSUD $21
Valvoline SynPower $22

But that PP for $4 p/quart is hard to beat.

There is nothing wrong with MSS @$3.75 a qt. PP @ $4 a qt. is a great deal though. I would not hesitate to run either one of them.
Go to the UOA forum and look up BITOG member 2015_PSD's UOA's for regular MS5K. Sure, it's not a synthetic, but for a convention oil it produced some very impressive numbers. Being MSS is one step up on the MS5K I am sure it can produce some very good numbers itself.
34.gif

Mobil Super Syn is essentially the same quality as Napa Synthetic, which is rebranded Synpower.

But PP for $4 is better.

QSUD for $21/5qts is good....PP $22/5 quarts is fine too. Those are my standard choices. If PP is on rollback at $22 I'll get that otherwise it's QSUD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Is the cost of oil the most important thing to you? If so, buy the cheapest oil you can find.

It's the most important but I won't buy garbage oil that's garbage just because it's cheap. I run it 5-8k which comes out to about 6 month changes. I refuse to buy full price and I figure worst case ST Syn is always $17 regular price. We recently moved so Menards and QSUD was my "go to" at $2.99/qt but not any more. A new store where we moved just had PP for $19.99 so I bought a jug. But I'm used to the QSUD deal at Menards where I felt like I was getting a GREAT deal. The PP felt like, "oh, that seems like a good deal." Fleet Farm also used to run Havoline conventional sales with rebates for like $10 or less (5 qts) and that was my other "go to". So, I care, but don't care, but my bigger frustration is I want super duper cheap Syn oil sales and I don't think I'll ever see the QSUD type prices I did at Menards around here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
There is nothing wrong with MSS @$3.75 a qt. PP @ $4 a qt. is a great deal though. I would not hesitate to run either one of them.
Go to the UOA forum and look up BITOG member 2015_PSD's UOA's for regular MS5K. Sure, it's not a synthetic, but for a convention oil it produced some very impressive numbers. Being MSS is one step up on the MS5K I am sure it can produce some very good numbers itself.
34.gif

+1

What BlueOvalFitter said.

Here is the link to 2015_PSD's UOA's with MS5K.
MS5K UOA's by 2015_PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back