5.7L LT1: Napa Silver 31036 vs. AC Delco PF52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gallydif
Well well well- ZeeOsix. I know we haven't always exactly seen eye to eye in the past and frankly, am surprised you commented in my thread. Nice that you did though. Yes, I do care for this car. You're right- it won't kill me to spend $9 on a filter but I may have a heart attack for using it for more than 1 OCI though lol. Old habits die hard so to speak. So Bosch's tear like the P classics and Pure1's huh? I'm going to have to look into this as I didn't know about this until now

Which one comes out to have the supposed better efficiency rating? What formula would you use so I can do it next time:
Carquest red: 94.1% efficiency rating @ 20 microns.
AC Delco PF52: 98% efficiency rating @ 25-30 microns.

Those two filters will be about the same efficiency since one is a little lower at a smaller micron size.

If you change oil every 2500~3000 miles I wouldn't worry about leaving an Ultra on for 2 OCIs over a 2 year period. Lots of people do 2 OCIs per one filter change, and it really doesn't hurt anything especially if the oil only has 3000 miles or less on it. Honda has been doing it forever (with much longer OCIs than 3K), and I would trust those Honda engineers know it's OK to do. If you are looking for high efficiency, then the Ultra also fits that bill.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Hey Ga129, thanks for informing me of the monthly specials at AZ. You have been very informative throughout this thread. I already knew they had them at AAP and it comes with a driveworks filter and you can upgrade to a Pure1 for $2 more (hopefully they substitute those driveworks for carquest's soon).

No problem, just trying to do my part. I'm still learning a lot myself. Hope you found the answers you were looking for!

I would have no issue with using the NAPA silver like that. In fact, I do.

I have an SUV I do not drive that many miles a year. Maybe 5k tops in a year. I use a high quality synthetic oil now (used an HDEO prior because of a specific ring issue). I use a NAPA silver and change it once a year. I have cut them open twice and they are great. $2.40? Now that the Gold prices have gone up 50% for the same item (used to be $6 for the vehicle 2 years ago, now about $9), I do not feel badly using the Silver.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ga129
I'm not saying I disagree with your statement, but I am curious what the actual fail rate is with those filters having media tears? I would also like to point out that if you did decide to use a brand like that and have something like that happen, you should hold the company accountable and make them pay reparations where they are due.

I would suggest that comparatively fewer BITOGers use the Bosch Premium than the P1. Up here, the P1 is just about impossible to find, and the Bosch Premium more readily available. As for something happening and holding someone to account, that is fine in theory, but I'm not putting it in practice.

The Bosch Premium has, traditionally, been one of my favourite filters for the G37 based upon price, efficiency, and construction. However, the tearing issue has given me cause.

To find out if a Bosch Premium I'm using is torn, I'd have to cut it. Then, Purolator doesn't want to hear anything about it, since they didn't do the cutting, or test it before cutting. That's fair. Additionally, we have seen no evidence that a torn filter has caused harm. However, I don't want to purchase a filter that is going to tear. That throws the efficiency out the window.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Ga129
I'm not saying I disagree with your statement, but I am curious what the actual fail rate is with those filters having media tears? I would also like to point out that if you did decide to use a brand like that and have something like that happen, you should hold the company accountable and make them pay reparations where they are due.

I would suggest that comparatively fewer BITOGers use the Bosch Premium than the P1. Up here, the P1 is just about impossible to find, and the Bosch Premium more readily available. As for something happening and holding someone to account, that is fine in theory, but I'm not putting it in practice.

The Bosch Premium has, traditionally, been one of my favourite filters for the G37 based upon price, efficiency, and construction. However, the tearing issue has given me cause.

To find out if a Bosch Premium I'm using is torn, I'd have to cut it. Then, Purolator doesn't want to hear anything about it, since they didn't do the cutting, or test it before cutting. That's fair. Additionally, we have seen no evidence that a torn filter has caused harm. However, I don't want to purchase a filter that is going to tear. That throws the efficiency out the window.

Understandable.

I wish things were back to normal, though. Bosch Premiums, a decent, efficient filter with a silicone ADBV, for about $5 for the G37 were (and are) extremely difficult to ignore.

Well after that went with the Napa silver. It came down to price. $3.04 (sale price) plus tax when ordered online for in store pick up. CARQUEST red ($3.69 @ AAP) and Ac delco ($4.19 @ AAP). All 3 filters are on the same level quality wise and with Napa and AAP being the same distance from my place. Thank you for everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back