2016 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice on a new 2016 WRX. It seems that the 15-16 WRX has a new engine with an oil filter that is not used on the STI or other Subaru (Blue ones). I can't find any info on this filter part #15208AA170. This is the filter that came from the factory. So should I keep running these filters at $8.xx from the dealer or stick with Fram Ultra, which I've had great success in my previous cars. OCI calls for Syn 5w30 at 6,000 miles or 6 months. Here's a look at the new filter.

71KNRdENyUL._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What are you waiting for? Cut one open!

That's a photo I linked from Amazon. If I had one in my hands I would.

This (button) filter gets full with what, 19 grams of dirt? Cant use a ocod ph3593a, at least it has greater dirt capacity.

Last edited:
I have been buying these filters for my FXT on Amazon for about $4 plus shipping that only goes up marginally with each added filter...I ended up paying about $6/filter for an order of 4.
I have one of these on my car now and I am very impressed with their construction, I did not like the way the blue filters Subaru sells in the US flexed in my hand while I was tightening them.
My understanding is that these short and wide filters were designed for the reduced hood clearance found in the WRX. The WRX (non-STI) and FXT have very similar 2.0l turbo engines, so I figured that there should be no issue with me using them.
My car and my daughter's Impreza shipped with 15208AA160 filters that are taller and narrower than the 170s, but they are very hard to find in the US. I have found a Tokyo Roki Mazda branded filter, part #N3R1-14-302, which appears to me to be the same as the 160 (compared one to the filter on my daughter's car) and definitely has the same high bypass pressure spec as the Subaru filters (23 PSI). However, these generally go for $9-10 and I will probably stick with the 170s as long as I can find them at a good price. I have 5 170s and 2 302s on hand, so I am set with filters for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LD1J...ailpage_o03_s00

Last edited:
My 2012 Legacy, 2014 XV Crosstrek and 2016 Forester all came with the 160 version of that filter. I cut all of them open to inspect. The cans are well made and take a lot more rotations with my filter cutter to open up compared to aftermarket store bought filters. All 3 had uneven pleating on the media can, but looked/felt decent quality.

Like said, because of being difficult to find the black Tokyo Roki filters, I run the OEM blue filters. They're very good too if you cut open to inspect.

My point being, I'd stick with OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
My 2012 Legacy, 2014 XV Crosstrek and 2016 Forester all came with the 160 version of that filter. I cut all of them open to inspect. The cans are well made and take a lot more rotations with my filter cutter to open up compared to aftermarket store bought filters. All 3 had uneven pleating on the media can, but looked/felt decent quality.

Like said, because of being difficult to find the black Tokyo Roki filters, I run the OEM blue filters. They're very good too if you cut open to inspect.

My point being, I'd stick with OEM.

My take is that the black Tokyo Roki 160 is OEM for most Subarus, the 170 is OEM for the WRX.
The blue filters are what the Subaru dealers in the US offer as a cheap substitute. My manual specifically mentions the black 15208AA160 as the filter I should be using.
Given that it's hard to find the 160 (unless the Mazda 302 is really the same thing), I'm a lot more comfortable with the blacks 170s than the blue filters, even if the 170s are targeted to the WRX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back