Class Action Lawsuit Against Oil Filter Company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from someone who sells auto parts that a certain oil filter company has a class action Lawsuit against them does anyone know if this is true? Something about bad oil filters? I did not get the whole story but something about the V.W. routan was also said.

I haven't heard anything; but if there IS a suit, they'll have a tough time proving that the filter grenaded their engine..

I can imagine the lawyer statements ...

Originally Posted By: ted s
ad each plantiff gets 50 cents Each plaintiff gets $.10 off on their next purchase and the lawyers keep all of the winnings

There. I fixed it for you.

So much innuendo...but unsurprisingly 'to me' no/few facts and details. However as norm, Google is your friend with facts and details linked below.

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/consumer/suit-claims-purolator-oil-filters-cause-damage-vws

As noted in the link, this would be for a cartridge application, not one of the spin on applications frequently posted here. Also this design would be completely under the direction of by then full owner Mann&Hummel. Imagine that, 'allegedly' German based M&H didn't provide/design a proper updated cartridge application for a VW.

In any case, as noted in comments above though, good luck proving, lawyers get rich and each plaintiff would get a pittance.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
So much innuendo...but unsurprisingly 'to me' no/few facts and details. However as norm, Google is your friend with facts and details linked below.

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/consumer/suit-claims-purolator-oil-filters-cause-damage-vws

As noted in the link, this would be for a cartridge application, not one of the spin on applications frequently posted here. Also this design would be completely under the direction of by then full owner Mann&Hummel. Imagine that, 'allegedly' German based M&H didn't provide/design a proper updated cartridge application for a VW.

In any case, as noted in comments above though, good luck proving, lawyers get rich and each plaintiff would get a pittance.

Don't forget that the VW in question is the Routan, which is simply a rebadged caravan/town & country. Even comes off the same Ontario assembly line.

Now, wouldn't that be "Classic" or "a PureOne"?
lol.gif

While the VW Routan information regarding rebadgement is interesting it doesn't change the salient points of the previous post.

It 'seems' the 3.6L Pentastar redesigned/updated the cartridge for 2014. After looking further at the design change 'imo' only a dolt would unconditionally accept/conclude the information that previous 2013 36135 design would work properly in the new 36296 cartridge housing. Below the difference can be seen between the cartridges. It would seem a little investigation including but not limited to other brands and looking at the oem would have avoided any issue(s).

If M&H didn't update the application catalog quickly enough for the VW, then I suppose it could be on them. Basically the application catalogs do need to be unconditionally authoritative. Still if I removed the factory oem filter and/or did more research, I wouldn't have accepted the 36135 (shown larger) was the proper replacement/correct application (smaller image).

61a9-pD2A-L._SX450_.jpg
41ooo0Yqo%2BL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Thanks sayjac i was going to google that today but i forgot and thanks for your opinion... Lets wait for the final outcome before you decide the case.. you know "as usual"
Also the person that initiates a class action lawsuit upon victory can make out very very well.

You're welcome. Did I decide the case? Thought I just presented the facts/details not presented in the OP. And separated any confusion and/or implication that it might in any way be related the M&H Puro tear issue(s)posted frequently on this board. That may however be the "usual", I do try to present facts and details when posting if possible.

As for the class action part, for the majority involved, stand by my comments which mirror some others posted before mine.

Have a good one.

Actually there was no tear implication on my part as i did not know anything about it but i guess i assumed what company it was but did not post my thoughts.. I agree for the majority involved but the original plaintiff will be compensated with a cash windfall if they win.

What innuendo?

My guess is the guy will probably win this class action case if indeed Purolator showed the filter he used was specified for his vehicle. Most people have little engineering logic and will just use what the manufacturer specifies, even if it looks somewhat different - can't blame them too much. If the filter was indeed wrong and caused damage, it should be pretty easy to prove in this case.

Beyond the lawyers winning, not going to speculate on who might win the suit. Really makes no difference to me.

That said, the correct 36296 is more than an 'inch' longer than the older 36135 and as previously shown has completely different designed attachment system at one end. That to me would be most about common sense than any type of sophistication. But as has been said often, common sense is not so common.

I don't know about any good luck but what i do know is that if an Attorney that specializes in class action lawsuits is willing to spend thousands of dollars on a class action lawsuit im pretty sure they believe they can squeeze some cash out of it. That one Lawyer is a low key heavy hitter involved in many class action suits. It does not bother me either who wins because i now use Wix and fram ultra no more iffy filters for my engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back