Bleeding brakes cleanly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it seem to happen every time I have done a two man bleed n my brakes, that when I attach tubing to the bleeder so it will drain cleanly, I always get air in the line?

It has been a while, but now-a-days I just put a bucket underneath and try to get 'most of it'.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why does it seem to happen every time I have done a two man bleed n my brakes, that when I attach tubing to the bleeder so it will drain cleanly, I always get air in the line?
someone is obviously not doing this correctly.

I have done this method about 50 times on more then 40 cars (some vehicles more then once), never ever have I introduced any air in the system, in fact this method is what we use to remove any air.

Last edited:
True Gasbuggy. It takes an act of Congress for someone to assist me with a bleed. What a luxury it would be to do it alone!

I dont know 01 celica gt, i would attach clear tubing over the bleeder exit and have my box end wrench already on the screw, usually 8 or 10mm, then, if memory serves, the first foot down/bleeder open cycle, it would introduce air.

Once my assistant was pumping the clutch and I was thinking something was broke. I dont know if he was messing with me or not, but a communication could have certainly been the reason for the issue.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I always use the tube. Maybe you at getting some air in it when turning the blender?

I do not remember exactly, but arent ÿou supposed to suspend the other end of the hose in a bottle of brake fluid. Maybe I skipped that step and just had the tube venting to atmosphere which allowed it to take on air.....I dunno

i would attach clear tubing over the bleeder exit and have my box end wrench already on the screw, usually 8 or 10mm
this is what we do, the clear tube leads to clear bottle to see the color and also clear tubing helps with bubbles/air in the system.

We communicate, when the person on the bleeder does the count, then the person on the pedal, lets go and pumps again, but until the count is heard the foot is on the pedal and pushed all the way down(slowly at first until it hits the floor).

Lol, Rand.

I bought, I think, that exact kit years ago....years, like 2004-2005, got frustrated with it, threw it away.

Speed bleeders sound like a good idea, but too risky changing out a critical factory part like that, so I never tried them.

Speed bleeders sound like a good idea, but too risky changing out a critical factory part like that, so I never tried them.

Well, the first vehicle that I ever used Speed Bleeders on was a motorcycle. How about that for risk?

Liked them so well, I put them on the pickup as well.

+1

Speed bleeders working great on my Civic - just adds a couple minutes to a routine pad change and you have fresh fluid too.

Originally Posted By: Bill_G
+1

Speed bleeders working great on my Civic - just adds a couple minutes to a routine pad change and you have fresh fluid too.
how often do you guys change pads? I'm getting ridiculous pad life, on my top tier pads(rebuilt calipers/new hoses/completely fresh fluid), 90% left after about 40k on one of them, and rest are showing similar wear patterns.

At this rate, it would be 10 year to change pads again, and I think fluid change every 2-3 year is appropriate.

Loose fitting tubing or your methods. Never had issues manually bleeding by myself.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Bill_G
+1

how often do you guys change pads? I'm getting ridiculous pad life, on my top tier pads(rebuilt calipers/new hoses/completely fresh fluid), 90% left after about 40k on one of them, and rest are showing similar wear patterns.

At this rate, it would be 10 year to change pads again, and I think fluid change every 2-3 year is appropriate.

My Civic racks up about 30k miles a year, so gets pads on a regular basis. In your case, changing the fluid would be required more often than the pads - wow - good job on being able to get that much life out of the pads.

Replaced OEM brakes at 65k on my truck due to recurring rotor vibrations. Other than the vibes, everything had TONS of life left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back