Any thoughts on the Super Bumper? (Hitch Bumper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was reading the post about leaving a hitch on to help if rear ended. Some people thought it might make it more likely for an accident to bend your frame. I've been thinking about getting the super bumper which installs in your hitch receiver and has some built in rubber shock absorbers. Any opinions on it? Does anyone have experience with the super bumper?

http://superbumper.com

If someone wants to rear-end my car, go for it. If it's totaled, I'll happily take that check, take the car up to the body shop where my dad works, and pull it out back straight for free.

Plus I'd have over $2000 in my pocket! Win-win situation.

You should only have a hitch inserted when you're using it. I've heard people say that they leave their hitch installed in case they were rear ended. Why? I don't get the logic. Is it so you can inflict more damage on the vehicle that hit you? We all pay for this in insurance. I dislike people who think that way. Hope they break their kneecap on the hitch.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You should only have a hitch inserted when you're using it. I've heard people say that they leave their hitch installed in case they were rear ended. Why? I don't get the logic. Is it so you can inflict more damage on the vehicle that hit you? We all pay for this in insurance. I dislike people who think that way. Hope they break their kneecap on the hitch.

Some people may think that way (are you in Northern VA by any chance?)

My thought on using this product is not to maximize damage to the rear ending vehicle, but rather to help protect me, my passengers and my vehicle during an accident by absorbing some of the impact.

I am choosing to protect the health of anyone riding in my vehicle rather than the hood of someone else's.

Now I'd agree with you in the case of those guys that have some sort of massive construction on the back of their truck; while it may protect their truck it's also obvious that it is made in order to maximize carnage if hit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

My thought on using this product is not to maximize damage to the rear ending vehicle, but rather to help protect me, my passengers and my vehicle during an accident by absorbing some of the impact.

I am choosing to protect the health of anyone riding in my vehicle rather than the hood of someone else's.

Now I'd agree with you in the case of those guys that have some sort of massive construction on the back of their truck; while it may protect their truck it's also obvious that it is made in order to maximize carnage if hit.

This thinking is incorrect. A trailer hitch is not a bumper and is not designed to absorb the impact of a crash. Instead, it transfers the energy of the impact directly into the truck's frame. This can result in a bent frame and/or injury to the passengers. (usually whiplash) While you think you are protecting your vehicle and its occupants, you're actually doing just the opposite.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

This thinking is incorrect. A trailer hitch is not a bumper and is not designed to absorb the impact of a crash. Instead, it transfers the energy of the impact directly into the truck's frame. This can result in a bent frame and/or injury to the passengers. (usually whiplash) While you think you are protecting your vehicle and its occupants, you're actually doing just the opposite.

I agree in principle, 100% transference of energy is more damaging. But this product absorbs energy prior to the vehicles contacting each other. Did you watch the demo at the link I sent?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

please explain how hitting the receiver is easier on the occupants than hitting a hitch inserted into receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back