Fram Ultra 3980 cut open 13k+ miles, w/filter mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
The ultra seems to be a good filter compared to most other filters and as long as fram keeps making them the same way and does not decide to cut corners or raise the price i will still be buying them unless i see something i don't like.

I started using the ultra when the purolator issues started and im glad i did ...I think because of the purolator issues Fram sells many more ultras..

+1.
I still don't care too much for FRAM's other line of oil filters,but, the FU will always get a thumbs up from me, as long as they continue making it as is.
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I sense Capt. Zee is going to have some new recruits showing up for the paid Fram program. When I started it was tough, look to the goal you will receive, pallets of Fram Ultras being delivered to you. Don't forget the goal and the rewards will come.
Being machinery perfectionists, some people like to get rid of most of the hard particles at more frequent oil changes. It goes back to the fact a filter that is full flow just can't filter extremely fine, need a bypass filter. Some people aren't so perfectionist, so it is a matter of to each his own comfort level. If one looks at a lathe spinning at 3000 rpm then imagine it is a crankshaft with the pistons attached, it is easy to see why some people understand any abrasive particles in there cause wear. Whether it means anything at car trade in time is another issue and not really what a perfectionist thinks about. I am in the more expensive perfectionist camp.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I sense Capt. Zee is going to have some new recruits showing up for the paid Fram program. When I started it was tough, look to the goal you will receive, pallets of Fram Ultras being delivered to you. Don't forget the goal and the rewards will come.

LoL ... fresh out of those holographic pallets of Ultras.

But seriously, it's obvious that people can realize a good product when they see one. Good products eventually sell themselves.

Same held true with the PureOne in days past on this forum due to it's stellar efficiency and the tromped rumors of it being "too restrictive". But of course their tearing issue that came later pretty much gave long time "Purofans" a bad taste in their mouths ... and wallah, the Ultra was seen as a better filter and people jumped ship when it was time to do so.

When something better comes along, some people will jump ship to that product. It's consumerism 101 at it's best.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

LoL ... fresh out of those holographic pallets of Ultras.

But seriously, it's obvious that people can realize a good product when they see one. Good products eventually sell themselves.

Same held true with the PureOne in days past on this forum due to it's stellar efficiency and the tromped rumors of it being "too restrictive". But of course their tearing issue that came later pretty much gave long time "Purofans" a bad taste in their mouths ... and wallah, the Ultra was seen as a better filter and people jumped ship when it was time to do so.

When something better comes along, some people will jump ship to that product. It's consumerism 101 at it's best.

Z06, you know I have knocked FRAM oil filters since the year 2003 on here. Then the FU comes along. FINALLY, an oil filter worthy of the FRAM name, and one that I give my utmost respect and compliments to! It sells itself because of the quality and great engineering behind it! Great job FRAM!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Is there any way to tell if a filter is in bypass? Perhaps you could monitor the canister surface temperature - no flow and it'll stay relatively cool?

I agree Fram is back in the game.

From my reading oil last longer than filters so sometimes I do Filter Only changes but never put a dirty filter therefore dirty oil back into a new pan of oil.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Is there any way to tell if a filter is in bypass? Perhaps you could monitor the canister surface temperature - no flow and it'll stay relatively cool?

Only if the bypass valve was in the base. I think it would still be hard to tell from temperature because even with the filter in bypass there is still some flow through the media going on.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
From my reading oil last longer than filters so sometimes I do Filter Only changes but never put a dirty filter therefore dirty oil back into a new pan of oil.

Not in some cases where the filter is rated for 10K to 15K miles.

The contamination is embedded in the media it's not going to harm fresh oil. I leave my Ultras on at least 3 changes as of late.

I just received my gold plug magnetic drain plug now I'm itching to change the oil even though it's still very fresh and LL01 oil

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

The contamination is embedded in the media it's not going to harm fresh oil. I leave my Ultras on at least 3 changes as of late.

I just received my gold plug magnetic drain plug now I'm itching to change the oil even though it's still very fresh and LL01 oil

Fight it! - Don't you dump that oil early!

Thankfully no coolant leaks showing in my last uoas, but I noticed a small amount of coolant loss from my over flow tank, which is why I'm going to continue to monitor it.

This engine has already had the LIM gaskets done so hopefully all is well.

Could have been trapped air that finally worked it's way out, and the coolant replaced it. My 3.1 has two bleeder valves one at the water pump, and the other over at the thermostat, and I had to bleed mine twice. The second time I bled it I had driven it for a day, and then the next day I drove it again, and came back to the house, and bled it while hot to get that little bit of trapped air out. Not much air came out. Not enough to cause it to run hot, but probably enough to cause a hot spot where ever the air was trapped.

Oh dang. If it's not in the oil, or on the ground then all I can figure is check for wet floorboard, or it's going out the tail pipe.

Yeah I think it might be going in the exhaust. I haven't measured it I just know it wasn't up to the cold fill line anymore and I put it up to the hot line when cold so if it is escaping I won't run it dry

Yeah I think it might be going in the exhaust. I haven't measured it I just know it wasn't up to the cold fill line anymore and I put it up to the hot line when cold so if it is escaping I won't run it dry

Look for the cylinder with the super clean spark plug to see if it's a head gasket leak into a cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back