Time to vent...shop damaged wheel...again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
The damaged wheel is 4 years old and has 36K miles on it. Why do you feel entitled to a new wheel?

Even after the shop screwed up... and they did give him a refinished wheel the previous time (still not matching though) he gave them continued business because for the most part they did other jobs OK.

If they want his continued business it would be wise on their part to supply a new wheel. After all they didn't just screw up an easy job ONCE THEY DID IT TWICE!

Last edited:
It could be a 20 year old car and have 200K miles,.... you don't want some bozo damaging your wheel and getting interior greasy.

Post pictures of grease and damage.

That's too bad, I know your cars are always in immaculate condition, then damaging your car is unacceptable.

I have steel wheels and my car came with Walmart hubcaps, so I doubt I could notice damage even if I looked at it with a magnifying glass.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
The damaged wheel is 4 years old and has 36K miles on it. Why do you feel entitled to a new wheel?

Are you being serious? I don't care if the wheel was 40 years old and had 360,000 miles on it...if they damaged it they should make it right. By the way, NONE of the wheels even have a scratch on them! They were pristine. I already told them to not even waste their time getting a re-manufactured / refurbished wheel, It may (or may not) look good when installed, but years down the road the paint will not fade at the same rate and it will look difference. Plus, chances are it will not be nearly as good as the factory wheel. I find it sickening that over all the years and tire rotations / balances, NONE of the wheels were damaged prior to this, but I take it here ONE time and they damage it. I'll try to snap some pics when I have time, its dark out now. The damage consists of a chip on one of the spokes, some scratches on the edge of the rim of the wheel, and some circular scratches where they removed / re-installed the lug nuts. Honestly 90% of people wouldn't notice it, but I do!

Originally Posted By: madRiver
You visiting a discount chain for the work? How much did you pay for said work and got damage?

No, it is not a discount chain. Its locally owned and operated and my family has been using them for years. Normally they don't charge me anything for work like this, but this time they did. It cost me $24 and some change for the patch job.

The nearest tire place to me is a small , individually owned place. I had done buisiness there several times before so when my snazzy new ATV tires and wheels arived I brought them there to have mounted. I was chatting with the owner when the "tech" came to get him. A few minutes late owner comes back and proclaims " ..got you fixed up, loaded up and ready to go. No charge!!"
I insisted I owed him for the job but he still refused.
When I got home I pulled the mounted wheels and tires from the bed of my truck. All of the alloy wheels had some minor damage but one looked liked he used a garden tiller to mount the tire. I never said a word but the only work he gets from me now is an annual state inspection on a vehicle that wouldn't pass anywhere else due to dark window film that he doesn't really check for.

Wow. I have a 2003 Buick Lesabre Limited Celebration Edition and the original dealer brochure from 2003 showing that my chrome aluminum wheels ONLY came on that car; and GM only made 10K of them. My 13 year old wheels have always been garaged and cared for and they are flawless. They are no longer available from GM, and if damaged, my only alternative would be aftermarket reconditioning and re-plating. I have already priced this at $600 per wheel, which I guess is cheap considering some other wheels and aftermarkets.

Your experience greatly concerns me. I shall take a camera with me to the shop and have a very detailed conversation when my tires wear out. Incidentally, I DO have a second set (of plain) wheels. Maybe I should just take the nice ones off...

But then what's the fun?

$24 for a patch job!? That's terrible!

Discount Tire has always done a fantastic job at everything for me, I'm there a lot. Just got a new tire there yesterday for the Trailblazer. Patches, valve stems, and tire rotations are free. Even if you didn't buy the tires there, there is no issue at all.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Discount Tire has always done a fantastic job at everything for me, I'm there a lot. Just got a new tire there yesterday for the Trailblazer. Patches, valve stems, and tire rotations are free. Even if you didn't buy the tires there, there is no issue at all.

There is no such thing as free. Its a loss leader at places as an easy oppurtunity to:
1) sell you new tire
2) have you walk away happy to return and buy tires another time

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

There is no such thing as free. Its a loss leader at places as an easy oppurtunity to:
1) sell you new tire
2) have you walk away happy to return and buy tires another time
It didn't cost me a thing. Plus, I don't see the issue with trying to sell me a tire if it's irreparable. Also, of course my next set of tires will be there. I have yet to find a place that has better prices or does better work.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
The nearest tire place to me is a small , individually owned place. I had done buisiness there several times before so when my snazzy new ATV tires and wheels arived I brought them there to have mounted. I was chatting with the owner when the "tech" came to get him.

A few minutes late owner comes back and proclaims " ..got you fixed up, loaded up and ready to go. No charge!!"

I insisted I owed him for the job but he still refused.
When I got home I pulled the mounted wheels and tires from the bed of my truck. All of the alloy wheels had some minor damage but one looked liked he used a garden tiller to mount the tire.

The reason it was "no charge" was because the owner KNEW that the grease monkey damaged the heck out of the rims. What a sleaze ball.
But no surprise there, like I have said before MOST auto service shops are of questionable competence, and quite dishonest, or both.
mad.gif
shocked2.gif
29.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Discount Tire does a great job.

NTB did a terrible job, total hack job.

I depends 100% on the tire tech. I think some techs purposely damage wheels on very nice cars. Guy is making $10 an hour and some yuppie in a BMW or Benz needs a new tire mounted.

Auto techs despise affluent folks in fancy cars.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I depends 100% on the tire tech. I think some techs purposely damage wheels on very nice cars. Guy is making $10 an hour and some yuppie in a BMW or Benz needs a new tire mounted.

Or maybe the low profile and stiff sidewalls on performance cars make dismounting and mounting those tires difficult.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Nice generalization. Did you ever consider that they be well received? Maybe because they're less likely to complain about cost of a repair or turn down a repair because of cost? They're more likely to say "Fix it and call me when you're done". Those kinds of customers are appreciated. I hate having to fight to perform a needed repair, luckily I almost never need to. I have lots of great people that trust what I say and authorize the needed repair without complaining- or those who are not as well off, simply say they understand, however they can't afford it. No complaining.

I don't know about that. A guy I grew up with has been a tire tech for about 10 years. He ran into some trouble with the law as a kid, and doesn't have other skills besides laborer.

He takes pride in the work he does. He actually posts photos of the 20+ inch wheels that he puts on SUV's and stuff, and posts them on facebook. I have been to the tire shop he works at, he really takes his time and does a good job.

If anything he is more careful with a BMW or expensive car, he wants to do a good job.

NTB put 4 tires on my wife's matrix with steel wheels.

They broke one of the clips on the hub cap. One of the new valve stems was leaking, and they only replaced 2 valve stems out of 3. They did not rebuild the TPMS unit.

I ended up taking the car somewhere else to fix what they did.

Well I got a call back the other day from the guy I was dealing with. He said the managers decided that they would NOT cover the damage as "they shouldn't be in that area" so they decided it was a rock chip. I was at work so this went to my voice mail, I never called back. They have lost me as a customer and I am about to post a review of there work online. I also noticed tonight that my leather wrapped steering wheel has a scratch on it, like a ring or something was dragged across it with force. So not happy with this shop. I am finished with them! Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back