Promotive by Purolator ph241/pl10241 13 months/10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was off a 2011 Ford Ranger 2wd with 76k miles on the odometer. Last oil change done 1/9/2015 with this filter and 5w20 bulk oil from Sears. Truck is from the fleet at work and I asked Sears to keep the oil filter. Well, 10k miles later here are the findings...

image_zpsvs1hwiym.jpg
image_zpsne5bfs2k.jpg

image_zpshjwotc7b.jpg

image_zpswfoiklri.jpg

image_zps4qnyl3sx.jpg

image_zpsbhdhjw27.jpg

image_zpsc7hxkphv.jpg

image_zpsacmgiusl.jpg

image_zpsjnemeolu.jpg

image_zpsjtvazvd4.jpg

Ok, so the last photo shows the tear and what looked and felt like the other side of the seam wasn't even glued on. It didn't tear it just came off the end cap. ADBV was very brittle and stayed in the shape I had it in the photo. All I can say is... these filters were never meant for long drain intervals.

I actually cut this open to show the techs why we need to change the oil at 5k per company policy. I really wasn't sure what I was gonna find.

The oil itself wasn't terrible looking, but it was about 1 1/2 qts low after 10k miles.

That's so bad it is hard to fathom a reputable company makes it.
Sears should be informed as there are probably thousands of these on unsuspecting customer vehicles and they never will be cut open. They should stop using those on people's cars, not right.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Sears should be informed as there are probably thousands of these on unsuspecting customer vehicles and they never will be cut open. They should stop using those on people's cars, not right.
as if they care, the cheapest oil filter goes on cars!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
TEAR-O-LATOR
eek.gif

SEE-YA-LATOR

laugh.gif

Seriously as crazy said this filter was run way too long and was never designed for it. That said, it appears the cause of tearing was again due to poor design and it likely tore well before 10k.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
TEAR-O-LATOR
eek.gif

SEE-YA-LATOR

laugh.gif

LoL
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Seriously as crazy said this filter was run way too long and was never designed for it. That said, it appears the cause of tearing was again due to poor design and it likely tore well before 10k.

Pleat spacing played the major role here - just like in most of the Purolators seen with tears. If the pleats were tighter and not wide open it probably wouldn't have torn.

An oil filter isn't designed right if the media tears even if it's totally loaded up because the media and center tube should be able to take the delta-p all the way up to the bypass valve setting.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Well it was on for 13 months and 10,000 miles and it is a $2.00 filter.. You cant blame the filter too much.

I agree and that's why I wanted to put how long it was ran. The media was extremely brittle and after seeing the tear the rest of the media tore with the slightest touch.

Last edited:
Oh dear lord...

That has got to be the worst looking tearolator ever!

I have seen a lot of other ugly 10K mi $2 specials but none have ever looked like that.

FYI, the 2011 interval is 7,500 or by the OLM if you have it. So the 10K is not unreasonable depending on the use.

Last edited:
1. I appreciate the cut and post.
2. This is a great example of what can happen when you press the oil and filter too far.
3. Crazyoildude is correct. This filter and oil were run too long.
4. If synthetic was used 10K miles would be OK with the right filter.
5. I would guess this is not synthetic oil.

I think the motor deserves to be run through a cleanup cycle. I think this would do it.

New but same type filter + the bulk you are using for 1K miles.

New but same type filter + the bulk you are using for 3K miles.

New but same type filter + the bulk you are using for 5K miles.

If you cut and look each time you can show them what good oil and filter look like.

I think this would make a good training exercise.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Oh dear lord...

That has got to be the worst looking tearolator ever!

I have seen a lot of other ugly 10K mi $2 specials but none have ever looked like that.

FYI, the 2011 interval is 7,500 or by the OLM if you have it. So the 10K is not unreasonable depending on the use.

But that would be with a filter equal to or better than Motorcraft filter quality. By running this filter past Purolator's recommendation, an engine failure would not be their fault. I am guessing Ford wouldn't take the fault either since the manufacturer of the filter you put on their engine said not to run it past 3K. See how that holds up in court. You should probably use a filter capable of handling the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. Purolator's Pure ONE is the filter for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
That filter is beyond awful.

Yes, being run for 10k miles was hard on it, but in all honesty, that filter doesn't look like it was worth even a 5k run. Yikes!

I agree. I ran one at around 3k that looked equally as bad.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Purolator's Pure ONE is the filter for that.

If you want matching tears.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back