Cold today bad battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was in the single digits here today and my truck didn't want to start. I tried using the engine start setting on my diehard charger starter which is 50 amps, slow crank, clicking no start. Let the battery charge for a few hours at 10 amps, same result. I also checked the battery voltage with a multimeter after charging around 12.8 volts and after trying to start the truck 12.6 volts. Those numbers seem good to me, so why is the battery bad? Walked up to Meijer and got a power cell platinum battery (closest store,with car batteries). Starts fine now.

If they haven't changed since the last time I saw them, that Meijer battery is an East Penn/Deka battery.
smile.gif

couple things in answer to your original question. The voltage isn't the only thing that affects battery operation. What was the voltage WHILE trying to start it? and what is the specific gravity of each cell?
Of course dirty connections will also do it!

I did clean the terminals prior to getting the new battery, guess I for got that in the original post, didn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Have them test the old battery when you bring it in for a core charge. I still think corrosion.

Wish I could but I already returned the old one for my core.

Around upstate NY, Sat eve into Sun morning will show the marginal batteries. Forecast has it -8 at 9 AM on Sunday.

Mmhmm. Good time to be a battery company!

I think the Focus battery is about done-for. It cranked real slow tonight leaving work and it was 11 out.

We shall see

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Around upstate NY, Sat eve into Sun morning will show the marginal batteries. Forecast has it -8 at 9 AM on Sunday.

I think the Focus battery is about done-for. It cranked real slow tonight leaving work and it was 11 out.

We shall see

Yep, she's done for.

It was -18 this morn here and we are at 42deg N Latitude. You'd have had a new battery.

Originally Posted By: ejes
It's about the amps, not the voltage.

Right.

It's about the impedance, which is the total resistance associated with conduction and the chemical reaction.

A new battery in these temps could be worth the cost.
smile.gif

Trying to get the max life out of tires and batteries can be a let down at the worse time possible.

Years ago, when I worked at a service station the first cold snap of the season always revealed the weak batteries. It would be a busy day with lots of road calls to jump start cars and battery sales that day would be brisk.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Miller88

We shall see

Yep, she's done for.

It was -18 this morn here and we are at 42deg N Latitude. You'd have had a new battery.

Jeep has a 6 month old battery, so one of the vehicles should start. Wouldn't be as big of a deal if I owned a set of jumper cables. Which I do not.

Might be time for me to move my truck in the garage and let the newer company car sit out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back